Corded Phones Work; Cordless Do Not

I just wired up my Vonage service. I'm using the house's existing wiring to spread the signal from my voice router. The phones in the house that are not cordless work, but the cordless phones do not. Does anyone have any ideas about what might cause this?

I've used wireless internet for a while in the house, so I know there can't be any conflict in the signals. The internet works perfectly, and so do the corded phones. I'm using two Linksys routers: the one provided by Vonage and a Linksys WRT54G down- stream from this router to serve the wireless signal for my lap- top.

TIA, Johnny

Reply to
Johnny Meredith
Loading thread data ...

Do you mean no dialtone or do you mean no ring?

Sounds like your wiring is correct: modemVonageLinksys--laptop \-phones

Did any cordless phones get power via the rj11 connection? (rare)

Suggestion: disconnect all but one phone at a time. Which phones work?

Reply to
Rick Merrill

If you > I just wired up my Vonage service. I'm using the house's existing

Reply to
oparr

Finally solved this problem.

It turns out that my house has two lines wired instead of just one. By shear coincidence, all the cordless phones were pluged in to the line 2 and all the corded phones were plugged into line 1.

I was not aware of the two lines. So, when I disconneted my house from the phone company, I just wired back line 1 and didn't bother with 2 or

1. The solution was to wire all the "left" sides of the twisted pairs together and all of the "right" sides together which, of course, completed the circuit and fixed the problem.

Just for reference: Phone line color decode Red, Green - Line1 Yellow, Black - Line 2 Blue, White - Line 3

I wired RED YELLOW and BLUE together on one side and GREEN BLACK and WHITE together on the other side.

I hope this post helps someone in the future!

Johnny

Reply to
Johnny Meredith

Glad to hear it. That could become a classic phone-war-story!

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.