New House Alarm - Am I locked out?

Of course not. They've already shown themselves to be a bunch of thieves. No one in his right mind would sign with them knowing what he knows. He should almost be thankful. If they weren't so miserable he might have been hoodwinked into signing a multi-year contract with them. This way he'll spend a few dollars replacing the board and be rid of them.

For them, perhaps. He, on the other hand, would be stuck with a crooked alarm company.

That's a lot better than signing up with Den of Thieves Alarms, Inc.

Only because they stole his access to his property. They should (if they were ethical) right the wrong they did. Of course they're not ethical so there's no way they will do the right thing now.

No, that's be like buying parts from someone else and then discovering the seller had locked them so you can't use them without paying him for what is yours.

I wouldn't lock him or anyone else out of a panel they owned. That was a criminal act.

If he wants it monitored he can contact

formatting link
They're nice people who won't try to rip him off like the alarm company did.

Reply to
Robert L Bass
Loading thread data ...

Lighten up, Francis.

heh!

Reply to
"Fat Tony" D'Amico

I doubt my competitors here will call me kindly but I'll gladly provide replacement hardware at cost if you want it.

formatting link
is a good place to start. They charge a reasonable fee, don't lock people out and from what some of my clients have said, appear to be a decent, honest company.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Was? js

Reply to
Carl Carlson

so the truth and facts are boorish?

Reply to
Picklesheimer

This is a valid point. If another local firm is willing to provide a replacement board and agrees NOT to lock it out at all, the gentleman should consider having them monitor the system for him. If they'll swap the panel for free in return for a contract, that will sweeten the pot. I used to do that on smaller systems if the existing panel was locked or if it wasn't a good board.

Alternatively, he can swap the board himself for a few dollars and contract with 911Alarm.com or NextAlarm.com for monitoring service. Both charge less than half what most local firms do and way less than what many nationals charge.

The advantage to having a local firm do the job is he doesn't have to do anything but sign a multi-year (usually) contract and write the check each month. The advantage to DIY is he'll save more than 50% of the cost and he'll be empowered to take care of his own security so he's never again in this position.

Either way he wins and this rotten alarm company loses. I also agree with you that he should tell anyone who will listen what they have done to him. That's "marketing" at its finest

He could also consider writing a letter to the local newspaper's consumer advocate columnist. Wouldn't it be nice if they did a story on this dirty alarm company?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Hmmmm.....

Good idea.

The same may apply to a dirty company in Sarasota, yes?

Reply to
"Fat Tony" D'Amico

What facts have you presented? You still have not read the thread, or have chosen to ignore it in favor of your own version of reality.

The tone of your posts are what is boorish. Perhaps you need a dictionary. js

Reply to
Carl Carlson

Leave "Defender" out of this.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

fact 1: THE COMPANY OWNS THE PART THAT CONTAINS THE PROPRIETARY INFORMATION. How can you misinterpret that simple statement?

:) is that better?

one of us does. :)

Reply to
Picklesheimer

BTW, I just noticed that this local ADT "authorized dealer" is running an illegal ad for a "free" security system: Defender Security - Authorized ADT Dealer.

May we assume that out ever-vigilant ECLB member will get right on their case? Probably not.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Indeed. js

Reply to
Carl Carlson

Probably not.. False advertising would fall under another entity, if it is indeed false. Kinda like "free shipping", huh?

In your case, contracting to perform fire and burglary system work in the capacity of designer and programmer w/o license would fall under ECLB.

Reply to
"Fat Tony" D'Amico

You didn't miss anything. I don't know where he got that idea. They DO sell parts and they DO sell service. If you call them they say "you own the system." I don't want their "SERVICE", I wanted to use the parts that I now own. I don't know if the phrase "came across an abandoned system" is really applicable either, since they told me they just shut it down about a month ago when the owner moved out. It sounds like he selectively read a few sentences and went off on a tangent.

To answer some of the other posters, though, you're right. It isn't worth it. I stopped talking to Guardian altogether a week or so ago since they wouldn't cooperate. A number of people have suggested seeking counsel, but it's really just not worth the time over a $30ish board. If it was a top-of-the-line system it might be worth making a stink at this point, but it's not. I'm talking to a couple posters in this thread, and have plans to contact a few more that offered their help, about replacement options but I'm still surrounded by boxes at this point and that has priority. I'll get something done in the next few weeks.

Reply to
jasonextras

If you believe that, file a complaint.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Not worth my effort... There is no proof. Only what you brag about here. Besides, you're not hurting me. I just hope you're not screwing your clients into an expensive legal thing when they get busted.

Reply to
Brenda

Uh-huh.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

read the contract einstein. you don't own the part that contains the proprietary info. ie the board.

that's because they own it and can do as they like with their property.

it looks like you failed to read the contract and went off ass if you had.

now you sound like you know whats going on. if you're going to be your own alarm contractor then you'll have to do as an alarm contractor would do if they came across this system. 1. either learn to hack the board or 2. buy a new board. or 3. put in new system. welcome to the bigs, kid.

Reply to
Picklesheimer

Reply to
Roland Moore

I believe the part about you don't know! Let me help you. a contract is an agreement between 2 parties, in this case. if one party doesn't like the agreement then they don't sign it. if they do sign it then they are a party to it and agree to abide by it. end of story. the company uses industry standard language just like every other company including the one you toil for. have you read the one the sales boys get signed? apparently not.

did you check their web page posted earlier in the thread and read about all the awards they have received? guess not. seems they are doing just fine without your sage business advise.

Reply to
Picklesheimer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.