Napco panel master code question

First, thanks to everyone who has helped me with questions regarding my Nap co alarm system.

I have the quickloader software and am able to upload and download with no issues.

I have a P3200 panel and I see a master Security code, download security co de, dealer keypad program code on it.

My parents have a Gemini 816 panel and I only see a download security code box no Master.

If we ever needed something done to the 816 panel that I could not do and t he installer needed the code they could change it and lock us out since the re is no master security code? Am I correct? Why is there no Master securit y code on the 816 or is there a setting I need to do to see that appear on the quickloader?

Just trying to be careful so we don't get locked out in the future if someo ne works on the panel?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
sziggy86
Loading thread data ...

apco alarm system.

code, dealer keypad program code on it.

e box no Master.

the installer needed the code they could change it and lock us out since t here is no master security code? Am I correct? Why is there no Master secur ity code on the 816 or is there a setting I need to do to see that appear o n the quickloader?

eone works on the panel?

I'd guess that it was just the manufacturers choice not to provide as much security on a less expensive panel.

Also, you have to know that the manufacturer (Napco) is not typically consi dered a DIY friendly company.

Reply to
Jim Davis

I'd guess that it was just the manufacturers choice not to provide as much security on a less expensive panel.

Also, you have to know that the manufacturer (Napco) is not typically considered a DIY friendly company.

The 816 is basically a 1632 lite. The 1632 was my main middle of the road panel for ages. When I switched over to Napco I probably installed more of them than any other panel, although I did have a fair number of P800/801 panels for "cheap" customers. I actually liked that it had one code, and that it wasn't on the eeprom ID sticker. The X255 was my industrial panel almost as soon as it came out. I never really cared for the 3200, but the

9600 was just fine. Maybe it was differences in date ranges and program stability.

FYI: The hack I found for the P1632 code didn't work on the later panels.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

The "go to" panel now is the 1664 with the K1 keypads. Looks pretty cool wi th the blue LED backlight.

If you're interested in what's coming up next go to isecurealarms dot com. This should be interesting to see what they've concocted. From the looks of it it looks like they may have squeezed 10 pounds of Starlink cellular an d a 1664 into a 5 pound plastic casing. If they did, I don't think it will fly. Other mfg's are putting whole systems into to a small hub box. This lo oks like it's huge in comparison.

Also, they're still using the same old wireless motion detectors and glass break detectors from 20 years ago. Wireless smoke detector and 1664 are the only new things they've come out with besides the Starlink radios in the l ast 5 years. I'm not sure, but I think I read that the wireless door/window transmitters for this new system aren't backward compatible with the older units.

Reply to
Jim Davis

. This should be interesting to see what they've concocted. From the looks of it it looks like they may have squeezed 10 pounds of Starlink cellular and a 1664 into a 5 pound plastic casing. If they did, I don't think it wil l fly. Other mfg's are putting whole systems into to a small hub box. This looks like it's huge in comparison.

Other manufacturers hubs are designed to sit on a counter, this looks like it would replace the main panel in a closet, I don't see size as an issue h ere

On the other hand if you remember debating about circuit board design a few months ago this design COULD be much smaller if Napco had followed DSC, Ho neywell and Interlogix in integrating components into a smaller board. I ca n't see the innards of that box so who knows

s break detectors from 20 years ago. Wireless smoke detector and 1664 are t he only new things they've come out with besides the Starlink radios in the last 5 years. I'm not sure, but I think I read that the wireless door/wind ow transmitters for this new system aren't backward compatible with the old er units.

It does state NOTE: GEMINI TRANSMITTERS ARE NOT SUPPORTED BY ISECURE SYSTEM S

So now they have a new line of sensors for just one panel? Thats kind of si lly unless whatever else they are developing supports them

If the sensor design is good this isn't an issue, Interlogix sensors (at le ast the ones they still make) are from 93/94, same with DSC 433 MHz stuff a nd Honeywell 345 mhz

Even Qolsys is using sensors based on Interlogix....from 93/94

The industry is slowly moving to more advanced encrypted sensors but the va st majority is still old tech

Reply to
mleuck

apco alarm system.

code, dealer keypad program code on it.

e box no Master.

the installer needed the code they could change it and lock us out since t here is no master security code? Am I correct? Why is there no Master secur ity code on the 816 or is there a setting I need to do to see that appear o n the quickloader?

eone works on the panel?

This is common with lower end panels, Napco does the same thing with the GE M-P400/800

You always risk getting locked out if someone else works on the panel

Reply to
mleuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.