Networking Help

Ok, I am running a hodge podge of computers on my network. One is running

98 SE another XP home and a third is running XP Pro. They all talk to each other just fine, and they play nice with my router, firewall, and hub for internet connection and networking.

I haven't had to use a dialup connection for anything in a long time. My CS has a really cool on-line secure interface as does my other cellular backup provider, but Telguard uses dial-up. Then you use your web browser to go to a particular IP on their network. It works ok, but I can't seem to make that connection as long as the computer (the XP Home machine) I am using is also plugged into my network. As soon as I disconnect it from my network I can make the connection. The dial up connection works, but I can't get the computer to recognize that their IP/computer exists until I physically unplug the computer from the wall in my office. Its very irritating because then can't check CS activity via internet at the same time I am checking cellular activity. I already have a DOS computer sitting back there for much of my alarm panel software, and my windoze based alarm software runs on the XP Home machine just fine. Am I going to be stuck with moving one of my other computers back to the remote programmer desk so I can do what I need or is there a setup solution I am missing?

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

Just unchecked a setting in the advanced tcp/ip properties of the dial up connection. All is wonderful

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Reply to
Joe

For Windows 2000/XP:

a.. Open control panel Network Connections. b.. Right-click the appropriate Dial-Up Network icon and select Properties. c.. Click tab Networking. d.. Select the network component Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). e.. Click button Properties. a.. Click button Advanced. a.. Ensure tab General is to the front. b.. UNcheck Use default gateway on remote network. c.. Click OK to close Advanced TCP/IP Settings. b.. Click OK to close Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties. f.. Click OK to close the Dial-Up Network Properties.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Reply to
Joe

Now I need a bigger monitor so I can see both windows at once. LOL

Reply to
Bob La Londe

get a dual display card...they're great...run two monitors on one puter.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I got a three head with two monitors on my billing and estimating computer. Its great. I can do research on-line on one screen and leave my proposal up on the other screen, Makes for fast fluid estimating and proposals that really snap out for the customer.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

What are you using for estimates?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Experience.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

yah got it - i just use a spreadsheet with macros that has my most = commonly use parts in it and room for a fudge factor

Properties.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Actually, I pretty much tailor every job on the fly to the customer. I have a couple forms on Word Perfect I have developed over the years that make it easier.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

For many years all I used was a legal pad, pen and calculator clipped in one of those metal folding cases. I kept a few Napco and Sentrol brochures under the pad and a few blank, multi-part contract forms. That, a few business cards and a nicely tailored suit worked fine for me. YMMV.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Have you ever seen the Panaspec software from Panasonic? I use it for estimating big jobs because you can basically run through your lists of equipment, components, etc., and throw them into a "shopping cart" style format, and it tallies, and splits your cost vs. mark-up right out. It does a lot more....but few have ever known what it possessed. The guy who wrote it has his own company, but used to peddle CCTV, and alarm equipment. It's an awesome little "free" program. I still have a few copies of it.

Reply to
Jackcsg

Yah, I have Panasonic's.

I made mine in Excel years ago, showed it to Mark at DMP (I think it was = Mark) and they expanded upon it. It's simple but works well.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D>

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I like the Panaspec version. Simple drag and drop into the cart. I do all my submittals in word. I try not to break down the individual costs anymore to the clients. Makes them think their on a shopping spree. I have some pretty good excel spreads I've built for costing, job tracking, and JSR's. I keep getting hounded from QuoteWorks to try their software Interface. It Interfaces with Act, which I use in our office to track everything, communication wise.

I made mine in Excel years ago, showed it to Mark at DMP (I think it was Mark) and they expanded upon it. It's simple but works well.

Reply to
Jackcsg

I never unit price a bid, that makes people think they can ala carte a = system, and it never quite works out correctly that way. If they want a = basic & an upgrade I'll give them a couple of bids.

Someone keeps calling me about proposal software too drive me nuts, some = days I get more solicitations than requests for quotes.

I just upgraded Quick Books Pro and also bought their Contact = Manager...gonna see if I can make them work for me. Ive been using QBP = for years. I have a feeling it won't - Im a fuss pot when it comes to = software.

I have a feeling that I'll end up putting everything except accounting = into Access again and exporting everything from my old flatfile db into = Access. I never quite have the time to finish this project!

Interface. It

equipment. It's

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Someone keeps calling me about proposal software too drive me nuts, some days I get more solicitations than requests for quotes.

I just upgraded Quick Books Pro and also bought their Contact Manager...gonna see if I can make them work for me. Ive been using QBP for years. I have a feeling it won't - Im a fuss pot when it comes to software.

I have a feeling that I'll end up putting everything except accounting into Access again and exporting everything from my old flatfile db into Access. I never quite have the time to finish this project!

Edwards has a beautiful pricing system for the ESA 2000 and IRC-3 components. I wonder if they've adapted it to EST-2 and 3... Some sales guy in Edmonton (with a passion for Excel) designed it...

Reply to
Frank Olson

I made mine in Excel years ago, showed it to Mark at DMP (I think it was Mark) and they expanded upon it. It's simple but works well.

Mark as in Mark Hillenberg? (I think that's how it is spelled)

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I'm not interested in Edwards, but I'd be interested in seeing the = pricing system structure. Where can I find a copy?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.