Newby ? need detailed help about obtaining and setting up equip. for wireless connection

I am using Win XP with Service pack 2. I am a Comcast cable internet user.

My primary computer is connected to Comcast with their provided modem. The other computer I am wanting to connect is a HP laptop running Win XP w/SP2, but no Ethernet capability. I have previously only used it for dial-up internet. What equipment do I need to obtain to make this connection so I can network both computers and also get on Comcast cable with either or both computers? I am mainly only interested in being able to connect the laptop wirelessly, leaving the desktop wired as it is now. I am ignorant about networking and wireless connection. Thank you, John

Reply to
L'l John
Loading thread data ...

modem.

wirelessly,

Probably the easiest would be to buy you a wireless router....for example, a Linksys WRT54G or some similar brand. Plug your modem into the WAN connection on the router. Plug your main PC into one of the LAN ports on the router. Then all you need is a wireless adapter for your Laptop, most likely it would be a Cardbus that fits into the PCMCIA slot of your laptop. Configure the wireless as per the instructions and you are ready to go.

Reply to
Airhead

Thanks for your reply! Staples has a sale + rebate on Netgear WGR614NA Wireless-G Broadband router and Netgear WG511Wireless-G Notebook Adapter. What do you think about these items? Good as Linksys? As easy to set up? Thanks, John ..

Reply to
L'l John

================== I do not have ANY experience with Netgear products since I have all Linksys "stuff".

My main computer is wired... 4 other computers in the house are all connected thru a wireless conection...

2 of the 4 computers were a snap to get connected...not any problem at all...one took a single call to Linksys tech support.. The 4th computer was a nightmare....at least a dozen calls to tech support before it connected...

The point of my message is to say that " EASY TO SET UP" varies with each computer.... 2 of my computers were in fact extremely easy...One was not really a big problem...but the 4th was damn frustrating to say the least....

BTW.... I think 1 out of every 6 or 7 techs at Linksys can speak English ...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Good! I've called them 6 times already, so I'm gonna get the english guy next time! Woohoo!

Reply to
A

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.