just moved in next door - where's my pie?

Hey guys, just joined the group...might have some questions, might have some answers...

Reply to
smiley
Loading thread data ...

Welcome aboard.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Welcome... What's your background out of curiosity?

Reply to
Aegis

electrical engineering technologist...i've done mostly burg/fire alarm systems for the last 6 yrs, but now i do a lot of access control and cctv systems. I use mostly DSC and Ademco products for alarm systems, and Northern Computers and Kantech for access control.

Reply to
smiley

All excellent systems. We dropped Northern (on the access side) last year in favour of Kantech, Sentex, and Keyscan. We have two installations (both take-overs) with DSC Maxsys systems. Both are ongoing headaches, but the customers are thoroughly "sold" on the product...

Reply to
Frank Olson

I've never installed a Maxys system, but I have done some service work on them..not fun. Better carry lots of Advil and keep DSC tech. support on speed dial.

Reply to
smiley

I've used a few of them, mostly when I need skeds or multiple partitions. The programming can be tedious via keypad, but I mostly use my laptop. I just installed a 4020 for card access last week with the 4820 module. Works pretty well, and integrates with the alarm. I connected it to the customer's on site computer via PC Link so they can administer the cards. The only trouble I had was getting a pgm output to follow the entry delay. Simple thing, but I never did get that to work. js

Reply to
alarman

If you're planning to call DSC tech support you might want to bring something along to read while you wait -- perhaps Tolstoy's "War and Peace". :^)

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

True but at least you know they on the phones and not on vacation in Brazil :)

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Northern is the biggest piece of shit on this planet. I do enjoy replacing them though....

Reply to
Jackcsg

You get what you pay for....

Reply to
Jackcsg

If you're lucky

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

Others go and still whine

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

So you've been down there?

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

If you're a DIY'er luck is all you need.......;-0

Reply to
Jackcsg

I couldn't have put it better... BUT, when it gets sold, I have to put the POS in...

Reply to
Aegis

Freakin' salesman. I guarantee if you had a salesman do a small size install, and he/she had to service it for 1 year....It would never be sold again. But then again Aegis....job security. With a product like Northern, you'd never get laid off....

Reply to
Jackcsg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.