Need Advices

Hi everybody

I plan to install an alarm in my future house and I need some advices to make good choices....

Actualy the house is under construction. So, if wired alarm is better than wireless, it's time to plan it.

After this, I'll need advices to choose alarm model and options

Thanks a lot

Reply to
Christophe Pin
Loading thread data ...

I would definitely wire if possible.

Reply to
Paul Ekins

Sir, now that your home is being built is the time to properly pre- wire it. Most companies will suggest you do this since any professional company can do a far better and more comprehensive installation job for you if they can use hardwired equipment, and you have all entry points pre-wired for the alarm. Wireless equipment is expensive and over the longer term more troublesome. I try to avoid using it at all costs unless there really is no way to get a wire to the location in question.

Decisions on options and make of panel will depend upon who you choose to deal with. My suggestion (albeit biased) is to choose a small to medium sized company in your area with a good reputation, over the large mass marketers such as ADT, Brinks (and especially Alarmforce if they exist in your area). However, having said that, get at least three written quotes from the companies you choose before making your decision. And don't make it solely on price !!

My website has loads of information for you if you care to spend some time researching things although pricing in your area may not reflect that in mine. The "basics" though are the same.....

Good luck

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

formatting link

Reply to
tourman

want the intruder in the house so someone accross the Country can talk to them while they are packing up your stuff?

George, I'll assume your question is a " tongue in cheek" one...:)) I could write a book about this company. IMO, they are only slightly better than an outright scam. The really sad part is they are very successful at it. Their success is a testament ONLY to the piss poor level of shopping most clients do, and also the ability of a good salesman to pull a deal that is tantamount to selling ice to an Eskimo.

Let's leave it at that.....

Reply to
tourman

AT&T 8000

Reply to
Mark Leuck

it's a wireless system, isn't it ?

Reply to
Christophe Pin

Hi Christophe

The first thing I will say to you is that I have no bias as i dont work anymore as a technician in that business since the first of october 2007 (I am now a union rep and dont plan on going back on the road)

so what ever I will say is totally free of any string..

The first thing for you to consider is what type of protection do you want, and what type of erea are you living in...

If you live in a region where poeple are attacked while at home, think about a full blown security system with contact on all windows/door and passive infrared detector so that you can arm the system while at home, if you live in a smooth area, or dont feel like having the system arm at night, some pasive infrared and contact on doors will be enough.

some smoke detector will be needed too, and if you have a fire place or any gas burning device you should also had some CO/gas detector, also some water detector could be usefull depending on how the place is built..

on the monitoring side, for me self monitoring is not a good thing, its totally unsafe, unreliable and wont call the police if you are at home and someone break in..

like Mrs Campbell told you use some medium size company, or if you know someone that had good service from a small one call them, dont ever sign a contract on the first meeting, even if they tell you they have a tight scedule and wont be able to do the job unless you sign right now...thats the type of tactic low scum use...

also buy your system and dont sign for a long term contract and ask what is the cancelling procedure..and ask them what is there politic on panel locking and if they will charge you to unlock it at the end of the contract if they do lock there panel ( a panel lock is something that will prevent anyone from entering the programing mode of the panel so preventing you from switching company) have them write the politic on the contact in case they tell you they dont lock or they will unlock the panel for free... the unlocking procedure is a very simple thing, and someone asking anything more then a one hour call to unlock the panel if they cant do it by remote programing..

i hope this will halp you, and one other thing, you use a free.fr as the email for your reply address, if you speak french, i am from montreal and my french is a lot better then my english....

(for Leuck... dont bother I know what you think... Roland this also apply to you!)

Petem

"Christophe Pin" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion : 47f115c2$0$417$ snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr...

Reply to
Petem

If your house is under construction I would take the time to get it prewired for all the of things you have to budget for. Computer networking, telephone, cable or satellite T.V., home entertainment, central vacuum, lighting controls, HVAC controls, and other home automation wiring. If you are wondering if wired is"better" that wireless I'd say it depends on the budget and application. A wireless receiver is a good thing to have on a residential alarm system for wireless pendant functions like medical, panic, garage opener, lighting and arm/disarm functions to name a few.

Reply to
Just Looking

Yup and an amazing panel

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Binford 8000 is better

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Wow, Pete is a psychic! (Pete est un médium.) Up until this time I had you all wrong. I saw you as just another Jew bashing psycho francophone. My fault. Your French probably isn't really that good.

Reply to
Roland Moore

There has never been a dearth of ignoramuses in ASA. Many are just as foul mouthed as the late MM ever was.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Reply to
I brive a dus

Naw...I missed out to Alarmforce's takeover bid for Loxxon. They won,which will now provide their clients a definite improvement in equipment quality... ROFL...!!!!

Reply to
tourman

Reply to
I brive a dus

Speaking of scammers, I got a threatening letter from the outfit pushing those wind-up heat detectors. They wanted me to make nice with them in the newsgroup or their "Sarasota associates" (Vinny and Guido???) were going after me. What was the name of that idiot who used to post to ASA and some firefighter newsgroup about the "virtues" of wind-up alarms? Wasn't that another bogus "doctor" or some such?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

Reply to
I brive a dus

RHC: No, it seems he quit when they wouldn't let him go on TV to represent them....something about the beard, the cross eyed stare and the one finger salute I'm told...

Reply to
tourman

Reply to
I brive a dus

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

I don't know how true it is but I heard a rumor that he was winding up one of those smoke detectors in the nude when it went off and caught his whatchamacallit in the mechanism and bled to death.

Reply to
Roger W

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.