Entering a new phone number on an ADT system

My contract expired with ADT and I now own the system that is installed on the property. Rather than pay them $30+ per month to monitor it, I want to reprogram the system to call my cell phone as I am more or less always 20 min. from the property. Essentially I want to monitor it myself. How can I access the programming mode and enter my phone number instaed of the old ADT call center number, etc?

Thanks...

Reply to
dwguy
Loading thread data ...

call ADT and see if they will program it for you for a small fee.

Reply to
Spudz

The last thing I want to do is deal with ADT again. That's the reason I want to monitor it myself. I wouldn't want them to have access to the system anyway. All I want to do is punch in a new phone number from the panel, so that it calls me; not their CS - with which I no longer have a contract anyway. Thanks...

Reply to
dwguy

Yeah, I can't say I blame you not wanting to ever deal with ADT again. However, one easy way you can do this is to put a "remote dialer assembly" in the middle between the panel and the phone line. Most panels won't communicate very well (if at all ) with a cellphone due to the formats they use.

What happens is the output of the alarm siren triggers the remote dialer assembly which then picks up the phone and dials your cell phone number and gives out your prerecorded message. They will often call up to four separate numbers in the often likely case your cell is out of reach at that time. I suggest you do a google search and you should be able to find equipment of this sort.

Another far better arrangement would be to find reputable monitoring at one of the discount places for $10 or so. Even their bare bones monitoring is 1000% better than what you call "self monitoring" which has so many potential problems as to be only slightly better than useless. They can also assist with reprogramming your existing panel.

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products

formatting link

Reply to
tourman

It can be programmed to dial your cellphone number, but you will not understand what it is saying so it will hangup. If you have CID you will know it came from your house but not what it is trying to say (could be your wife calling and hanging up)

Then the alarm keypad will display FC for for a comm-fail which you can't get rid of unless you go into programming then exit programming from the alarm keypad.

Maybe that will work for you...but kinda doubt it.

A voice dialer is about your only option - personally I wouldn't count on one of them either, but hey it's your family's life not mine.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

You could be out of luck, while I have seen them both ways, on some ADT panels the phone number cannot be changed.

Find a Vista 20ps or a First Alert 168CPS and use the paging feature - it still won't tell your cell phone anything about why its calling you but its easy and if you ever do decide to be monitored, the paging can call you for things that aren't sent to the central station.

I got a lot of family who have and codes to my house and I always know when someone is coming or going.

I'm posting this at about 1845 on Monday March 31st and there is a FA168 on Ebay with 2 hrs left and a top bid of $16.

Good luck...

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Why don't you read the other 500 posts by cheapskates like yourself that have been asked and answered already - ad nauseam.

You can't do it.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Actually, he can do it. Several more useful people already explained how without insulting the gentleman.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

He can't do it without a voice dialer. The V-20 does support pager notification but only if a CS# is programmed as well.

Yeah well, f*ck you.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Let go of your anger... Feel the Force, Luke... It's all around you... in the grass, the tree, that yellow and rust colored '72 El Camino you still drive, and that ADE 6139 keypad you just programmed to read: "For service call BassGurglarAlarms" on one line, and "Free 'Vote For Hillary' light up tube top with every purchase", on the other..

:-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

What are you smoking? Give me some! ;-)

Hey... I saw Canada's #1 dating site. Are you registered yet?

formatting link

Reply to
G. Morgan

Reply to
Roland Moore

What, and make Olson jealous?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Maybe you should avoid the other 500 posts by cheapskates like me that have been asked and answered already - ad nauseam. It seems to be making you an even more unhappier person than you already are. Try to get out of the house more often and spend less time sitting in front of a computer and posting really sad replies to discussion groups. Cheers...

Reply to
dwguy

Why do you even bother replying? This is getting really old. Here's your FU for today: FUCK YOU.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cheers...

He really can't get out of the house more. He suffers from agoraphobia panic disorder, a mental disease that causes him mortal fear of public places, cropwds and even small gatherings. He has great difficulty being around other people (ergo the repugnant personality). His mental problems have cost him at least ten jobs in as many years. He actually blames me for the last one he lost but it was his own fault. Even before he got caught using his boss' computer system illegally he was on the verge of being fired for repeated absenteeism.

Graham is so afraid of going out in public that he often spends his nights drinking and popping Xanax and Lexapro (prescriptions for which he gets from multiple doctors and fills at multiple pharmacies). This allows him to convince himself he's staying home because of a hangover. In fact, it's the ever-present fear that rules and ruins his life.

For a while some of us (myself included) fealt pity for Graham because of his personal suffering. Unfortunately, as you have already noticed, Graham is also a nasty, foul-mouthed toad with a penchant for attacking not only those who innocently ask for advice but even those who treat him like a friend. As a result any pity he once received has long since turned to utter disdain.

There's not much you can do about a mentally defective, miserable person like our resident "Cracker" except ignore him, filter his twice-weekly changes of alias or give him an occasional verbal spanking. I suspect in his profound loneliness (which he of course creates all by himself) he craves even that kind of attention. But be patient. Eventually, the total despair will work its magic and he'll need to be institutionalized again.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

You'd never go back to chickens and ducks.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Oh shut-up already. I'm really not interested in engaging you in a pointless flame war. You replied to ME looking for a fight. I'll just tell you what I always do - just f*ck right off and die and we will get along just fine.

Reply to
G. Morgan

This thread is a freaking riot.

Reply to
pepelepugh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.