Wireless Connection or alternative

i just purchased a new computer for my room. my family computer is in my basement and my room is on the 2nd floor. do you think there will be problems having the signal reach from my basement to my room 2 floors above? its going to be such a pain to get a wired router so im hoping wireless will work since i asked optimum online and they said they would charge me a monthly fee of $45!!! to get a second modem. that is crazy. im thinking that if i have to i may be able to run a wire up to my 1st floor and put the router there. but does anyone have any ideas? and any routers that would be a good choice for a low price of no more than $100?

Reply to
starabvmybed
Loading thread data ...

Hi, I live in a 2 story house(~3000 sq. ft.) There are desktops, laptops on all levels; basement, main floor, upstairs. The router(Linksys WRT54GX2) is located upstairs. My old router WRT54G has worked well too. We don't have any problem at all.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

And if there is, try positioning the antenna horisontaly - or nearly horisontaly. That should theoretically give a much better signal between floors.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

"starabvmybed" hath wroth:

That depends on what the floor is made from. If just wood, with no foil backed insulation, it just might work. Increasing the signal strength with refectors will certainly help:

formatting link
if the floor is poured concrete, tile, or something impervious to RF, forget it.

You might consider using phone line networking, power line networking, or sharing the CATV coax cable as an alternative to wireless.

Coax: |

formatting link
are others, but they are mostly for large apartment buildings and OEM manufacturers: |
formatting link
|
formatting link

Wireless power line bridge extenders: |

formatting link
Phone line networking: |
formatting link
Power line Networking: |
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

you've got a couple of options.

first, depending on the construction material used in your house you likely WILL be able to receive a wireless signal on the second floor. the only way to know for sure is to try it. buy your wireless router from a retailer with a good return policy.

second, if you can put the wireless router ON the second floor and have the family PC access it wirelessly. wi-fi is a radio signal and radio signals will propogate farther as the transmission point gains elevation.

third, you can always used a WIRED router at the family pc and run some CAT5 cable up to the second floor. that may not be so easy but where there's a will, there's a way. the wired router will function the same as a wireless router in that your broadband connection interfaces your broadband connection and your pc's.

as for a recommendation, i'd go with the US Robotics MaxG model 5461

i bought one after a long period of research and am completely satisfied with it. super easy set up. great security options. and not all that expensive. i think it ran something like $39.99.

good luck.

73, rich, n9dko
Reply to
Rich

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.