N S E W (a little long)

Since we seem to be sharing experiences lately here is another one of mine.

Took a sub-contract job yesterday to a local chain store. Before I went I checked on line to see what kind of store it was. It seems that this store just opened last week. So I called back to guy that is sending me out to troubleshoot some problems with a couple of doors.

He said yes it is a new store. I said why not have the installer fix the problems??? He says that the guy is now on vacation. Sooooooo Ok I will go and take care of the problem. Or so I thought.

Arrived on site and asked for the manager. Manager takes me to the back of the store to the keypad at the delivery door. The system is a Vista 20 with

32 hardwired zones by the way. The keypad is beeping and a zone is showing up "Check". Manager says how do you stop that from beeping. I say well the "problem" with the door has to be fixed for it to stop. So I look at the zone list which says zone 32 is the SW Emergency Exit Door. I say we are at the SW of the building. She says we have figured out that this door is Zone 1 and it is marked NE Emergency Exit.

I start look at the zone list and nothing makes any sense. Then I opened the panel and found a full D-Size drawing of the building and it had Zone Number marked on it for each door. So I figured that there must be a bad door contact on the NE Emergency Exit Door. I go check and found that the installer used One-Way Security Screws. I can't even jump out the door contact to verify the problem without drilling out the screws. Geeeezzzzzzzz!!!!

That is when I called the Alarm Company. After I explained the BIG issue with the definitions on the zone list. The project manager said well if you hold that plan with the ledger at the bottom North is at the top and South is at the bottom. You should be able to locate the zones from that. Are you freaking nuts????????????????

You have this customer of yours rather upset with their NEW alarm panel because they can't figure out what door is what. This is going to take some time to fix.

Long story (sorry) now shortened. They decided that I was going to charge them too much and wanted me to leave and they will have the original installer go there when he gets back from vacation and fix the problems.

OK so I'm outta here..................................................................

Oh and the Check issue is because they programmed the doors for Trouble Day and Alarm Night. They were reluctant to change the program.

Now all they have to do is pay my Invoice when it arrives.

Later all,

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1
Loading thread data ...

IDIOTS...but you did what I woulda done...hasta la bye bye...BBQ sammich time- CyA!

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Heh ...... yeah sure!

I can hear it now.............. Paid? What for? You didn't DO anything.

Reply to
Jim

I keep trying to tell my boss not to take any more subs from this one particular company. He agrees they're terrible, but for some reason keeps taking on the jobs. I've even threatened to go work for our competitors - for free - if he keeps taking subs from these idiots.

Doesn't help that we're on the west coast and these guys are in Toronto, so if I need any info from them, I have to get it before 2pm, or everyone there has gone home for the day...

I hate sub jobs.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Put in code. Press OFF.

Go to the panel or zone expander. Jump out zone. Does the problem zone clear? Optional: meter circuit wire, see what resistance reading you get.

Plan B: go into programming, change zone type to 00. Get signature. Leave.

- badenov

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Doesn't work if it is a swinger.

Would have taken more time than they wanted to pay for.

Suggested but not my customer. And I did.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.