How to get DSC alarm system to communicate with my PC? (hacks/mods ?)

I've got a DSC 4010 panel installed in a place and it's a real bear of a unit and I'm thinking of replacing it with a 1550 spare I have. I've set these units up in the past to call a cell phone or some other number when they get triggered, but in this case I'd like to do something more sophisticated.

In any case, I'm sure it's come up before (sorry) but is there any easy way I can use a spare computer and modem to answer an alarm call made by these panels?

I notice that their communications protocal seems to be propriatary, therefore requiring specialized hardware on the monitoring end. Are there any web sites with plans on how to modify DSC panels so that I can use an ordinary modem connected to a PC to be able to act as a monitoring station?

(please post any responses because my e-mail is bogus)

Thanks

Reply to
Alarm Guy
Loading thread data ...

Nope. You'll need to purchase an automatic dialer. Hook it to the "program output" of the 1550. This is the cheap way. If you want to go the more "expensive way", you can purchase a central station receiver and the software to run it on your computer. You will, of course, need someone sitting in front of it 24/7. Talk to Robert Bass. He had one set up in his garage for years (his wife and kids were the "station staff").

Reply to
Frank Olson

Anyone talk to Robert lately? I had my dad buy a Gemin 9600 panel and accesoriess from his site and no one is returning any calls.... APB for Rober Bass. Great guy.... im worried about him.

Carp3dNY

(favorite X10 automation site)

formatting link

Reply to
carp3dny

Try 1-800-709-7085. It's the number at security-alarm-systems.us. It's a "sister site" to bassburglaralarms.com. The "800" number is on their "contact" page.

Please don't crosspost. The people here don't appreciate it (particularly if the "other forum" happens to be "alt.security.alarms".

Reply to
Frank Olson

I'm fine, friend. My phone number has changed though. It's

941-866-1100. Option 1 on the menu gets you to my desk. I'm usually in from 10:00 am until around 6:00 pm but this morning (Dec 15, 2005) I have to be out of the office.

You can reach customer support by selecting option 2.

Regards, Robert L Bass

formatting link

Reply to
robertlbass

Great to hear your ok Robert... I'll be sure to give you a call soon. Thanks for the Reply,

Sincerely, Chris (Carp3d)

Reply to
carp3dny

Typical cheap shot...

Reply to
robertlbass

The truth is never a "shot", Robert. It's also not a flame. If you want to talk "cheap", how about telling us why you think employing a "free" hit counter like kounter.com with it's many pop-up/pop-under ads is better than paying your hosting provider the extra "two bits" it's going to cost you to have them to provide your stats. Exposing your valued customers to a known internet security threat like "Winfixer" isn't going to win you a whole lot of friends (or customers)...

Reply to
Frank Olson

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! That is stupid in so many ways.

Reply to
G. Morgan

You can do what you are asking for here for free with Asterisk. Asterisk is a free open source PBX which runs on Linux. However, one of the applications that was written for Asterisk is an alarm receiver which is compatable with Contact-ID.

All that you need to get this to work is an old pc and a Digum analog card which you can pick up on ebay for approx $25.

To download Asterisk see:

formatting link
For more information on the alarm receiver see:

http://www.voip-> I've got a DSC 4010 panel installed in a place and it's a real bear of

Reply to
Veloman

You have got to be kidding.

All that rigamarole just to recognize some bizzare out-dated/proprietary DTMF com protocal?

I'd rather slide down the sharp side of a razor blade than configure an old PC for Linux.

And oh - I've ripped out that friggen 4010 panel and replaced it with a 1550. It will dial my home phone number if there's trouble. I really don't need a monitoring station setup for that - I thought it might be "cute", but not if it's that complicated.

Would be nice if there was an RS-232 port (or even some TTL signals) on the 1550 that could talk to a PC so that I could have the PC do stuff based on what the panel is detecting from the various sensors (like start a video capture, play a recorded message over speakers, send an e-mail, etc).

Reply to
Security Guy

Like trading in a Cadillac for a Chevette, eh? js

Reply to
alarman

You ripped out a 4010 and replaced it with a 1550?

Ohhhkayyyyyyyyyyy

Reply to
Mark Leuck

New building we bought had a 4010 panel in the telephone room and some small expansion panel in a second floor closet.

Total number of sensors is:

(6) motion sensors (5 are IR, 1 is IR/Microwave combo unit) (2) entry/exit doors (2) seldom used/emergency doors (2) heat sensors (2) horns (2) keypads

First thing we did was check the internet for instructions on how to reset the 4010 to it's factory master and installer codes. We did that, and downloaded pages and pages of manuals and work-sheets for the thing, and then thought this was crazy. We found a spare 1550 unit (with keypad) sitting in a storage room, and we ripped out our own 1550 from our old building before we left.

So I ripped out the 4010 and the expansion panel and re-wired everything:

Zone 1: Main door Zone 2: Secondary door Zone 3: 3 motion sensors wired in series Zone 4: 3 motion sensors wired in series Zone 5: 2 seldom used/emerg exit doors wired in series Zone 6: not used (might hook one of the heat sensors to it)

Replaced the two 1410 keypads with the two 1550 ones. Hooked up only

1 horn. ->Didn't have to run any new wire Like trading in a Cadillac for a Chevette

Practically speaking - not really.

The 1410 was over-kill (for us, for this building) although I suspect that a "professional" alarm installer would not agree.

It's been my experience that installers seem to insist that every sensor be connected to it's own separate zone. The bigger the building, the more zones, the deeper the pockets of the customer, the bigger the panel, the more $$$ the installer makes.

Reply to
Security Guy

Practically speaking - not really. Fewer sensors per zone = more information at the central station, faster troubleshooting of future problems, and an overall net savings for the customer. js

Reply to
alarman

Reply to
Russell Brill

STOP THAT!

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Reply to
Mark Leuck

There is a terminal on the board that goes low on arming and the high when disarmed. You can use it to trigger a relay to indicate the arming status to a Home Automation Controller. It's called the PGM terminal and you want to program it to "07" to do this. It's in the installation manual which you can d/l here if you need it:

formatting link

Reply to
BruceR

Have fun troubleshooting multiple pirs on one zone.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.