Linear - how to tell if remote has armed system?

I want my wife to be able to _know_ that the alarm is armed after she has reversed out of the garage and is sitting on the driveway. How can I do that? No way can she hear the chirp.

I know its got something to do with automation output, but I have no idea what that means. (Some help would be really appreciated!)

Thanks!

Reply to
DeanB
Loading thread data ...

Most home security systems have the ability to interface with home automation components like X-10 devices. The sophistication of that interface varies with the manufacturer of the alarm equipment. You're going to have to give us some more info on your particular setup before we can answer your question.

Reply to
Frank Olson

"DeanB" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion : snipped-for-privacy@v15g2000yqn.googlegroups.com...

What type of alarm system do you have ?? (brand / model)

is it suppervised by a central station?

Is the system rent or yours?

I would not advice you to play with it, But there is a way to trigger an output of the panel to show that the system is armed, that output could feed a led or a light, visible from the outside..

This light is pretty cool to know that system is armed, but at the same time it will show that it is not armed..so be carefull about this..

one way I found to not tell if a system is armed or not is to use 2 led in a simple plastic cover, no one see there is 2 led, one is simple red led, the other one is flashing red led (one that you can have for car alarm system) when the systeme is disarm the flashing led is powered, and when the arm status is trigered it will power the standard led.. so you know its armed when its red solid...

a crook would only see a flashing red led as in car system and think its in armed state..

Reply to
Petem

"DeanB" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion : snipped-for-privacy@v15g2000yqn.googlegroups.com...

What type of alarm system do you have ?? (brand / model)

is it suppervised by a central station?

Is the system rent or yours?

I would not advice you to play with it, But there is a way to trigger an output of the panel to show that the system is armed, that output could feed a led or a light, visible from the outside..

This light is pretty cool to know that system is armed, but at the same time it will show that it is not armed..so be carefull about this..

one way I found to not tell if a system is armed or not is to use 2 led in a simple plastic cover, no one see there is 2 led, one is simple red led, the other one is flashing red led (one that you can have for car alarm system) when the systeme is disarm the flashing led is powered, and when the arm status is trigered it will power the standard led.. so you know its armed when its red solid...

a crook would only see a flashing red led as in car system and think its in armed state..

Reply to
Petem

That's rather a vague question without knowing anything about your system.

I've set up systems that will turn on a lamp in a room that's visible from the front of the house.

Street Smart has got a remote arming key fob that has an outdoor LED kit.

There are good and bad things associated with doing this.

Give us some details and perhaps we can make some suggestions.

Reply to
Jim

Thanks for the replies - this is the system I have:

24-Channel Supervised Wireless Security Console Model Number: DVS-2400

I like the idea of a light in the house. Do you have to buy some kind of a relay for this to work?

Reply to
DeanB

Sorry I dont know anything about such guismo..

Reply to
Petem

Uhhh!

I have no idea what that is.

But, usually a (good) control panel has some kind of output that can be tapped when the panel arms. Lesser panels usually don't. Once obtaining an output voltage upon arming, you can attach a relay whose output can trigger an X10 module that will send a signal via the

110VAC wiring in your house, to another X10 module that your lamp in plugged into. Some of the better panels are X10 compatable and you just need to get the manufacturers module to send a signal to other X10 modules ........... in other words you don't need to futz around with attaching a relay to some point or logic output terminal on the printed circuit board.
Reply to
Jim

Looks like a desk intercom.

Read the manual about Automation, maybe you can use an X-10 module to turn on a light in the garage. I doubt that thing has controllable output relays though.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

The last time I looked at that unit, it did not have any sort of output. Two connection, 1 for power and 1 for the telephone. Everything is programmed with an external programmer.

Reply to
A.J.

Page 10 of the manual explains how to do it with Automation Output and X-10.

What a toy.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Paradox "Spectra Panels - series" has a FOB that has feedback that the arming signal/arming delay has started. It has an info button displaying the last key function entered. With properly placed receiver reception could reach 60Yrds. FOB's with Feedback REM-2..

Reply to
Pogo

If it's a DVS2400, 2408 or Dual 824 have someone reprogram option 70 as a 1, that will enable a chirp on arm/disarm

Reply to
mleuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.