DIY Wireless System Recommendations?

I want to install a wireless alarm system in my house. I've been visiting some websites that sell them. Can anyone recommend one that has all or some of these features:

1) Uses N-RAM so if all power is lost, even back up battery, the system will retain its settings and not require setup again? Will be fully operational/configured when power restored.

2) Can use your computer directly(not going through a website) to setup/download/upload system settings?

3) Components such as Motion Sensors are reliable but not real expensive?

4) Easily programmable, user friendly.

I am thinking of having 3 magnetic door switches and about 5 motion sensors.

Also is there any precautions or special needs when using magnetic door alarm switches on steel doors? I know the steel can rob some magnetism but what if they're installed with spacers so they're mounted about 1/2" away from door?

Any information appreciated............

Reply to
yp
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@cw.org wrote:

Installing a system (particularly wireless) isn't as "easy" as some DIYer's may think. The features you list are pretty well "standard" in any system you get these days. DSC sells a wireless "all-in-one" unit, but I would strongly suggest that the main keypad (which is also your common control) be located somewhere other than next to an entry door. This goes for practically any of the "all-in-one" type alarms (like Ademco's Lynx, and Visonic's Power-Max). Of the three I've mentioned, all are relatively simple to program, but if you've read some of the questions posted here, you'll find that programming an alarm system requires a knowledge of alarm terminology. GE/Sentrol publish an installation handbook that will answer most of your questions regarding special applications like installing sensors in steel doors. It's geared to sell Sentrol/GE branded equipment, but the applications are pretty well universal. You can download it from the FAQ's page at

formatting link
One more thing... If you're contemplating the purchase of this equipment "online", I'd suggest you compare prices and service with one of your LOCAL alarm providers as well. Additionally, warranty may not apply to your installation unless a dealer (aka professional installer) checks your terminations prior to power-up. If you compare the cost you'll pay for shipping the equipment with the cost for a two hour service call, I think you'll come out ahead using the local dealer as your parts source.

Regards, Frank Olson

Reply to
Frank Olson

Thanks for the info Frank. I've downloaded the handbook you mentioned. Yes, I'd definately be hiding the main unit somewhere. My neighbor had a Honeywell/Ademco installed by ADT. Its control panel is 2 feet from the front entry door! Yikes!

Initially I don't plan on having the system monitored by a Central Office. I will have it dial my cellphone. If after all is working I might get monitoring but to me, unless you have a GSM module, its too easy for the telephone line to get cut.

Thanks again for the input. I certainly appreciate it.

Reply to
yp

You can 86 the cellphone idea, it won't work.

It will dial, you will answer and hear nothing or maybe a few bleeps and buzzes, it will hang up, and dial again and again and again, until it fails out and puts up an FC on the keypad. The FC will remain there until you go into programming and exit programming...every time. BTW...all this time it's trying to dial your wife at home will not be able to use the phone.

It will provide you with NO useful information when it calls your cellphone, NO you won't know if it's an alarm condition or a low battery or your wife bypassed something after you left home.

It may be easy to cut the phone line, but believe it or not they usually don' - besides with your logic you're already beginning with a cut phone line :-)

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I don't believe that.

besides with your logic you're already beginning with a cut phone line

An amateur and a fool wouldn't cut the phone line. I suppose your logic is to leave your keys in your car! :)))

Reply to
yp

besides with your logic you're already beginning with a cut phone line

I am speaking of using a voice dialer to call my cellphone.

Reply to
yp

don' - besides with your logic you're already beginning with a cut phone l= ine

RHC: Cripes ! ...spend $9 or $10 bucks monthly to have the thing monitored properly. That way it works as it should and you get an insurance discount on your property insurance, plus REAL protection, not some totally unreliable cell phone bullsh*t. There are all sorts of stations out there that will do your monitoring for next to nothing leaving you to do the service and warranty work yourself..

What the hell is it about DIY'ers ? Why put in a professional system and then cut it off at the knees....sheesh !!!!!

Reply to
tourman

don' - besides with your logic you're already beginning with a cut phone line

Until your phone line gets cut. I would never get landline monitoring. Why pay a monthly fee when a pair of cutters can do the trick. Thats false security.

You think a landline can't be cut at the knee's? Hah! Its so simple even you can do it(I think).

Reply to
yp

don;t let him get to you, he's a bitter old codger. ;)

Reply to
KingFish

lly don' - besides with your logic you're already beginning with a cut phon= e line

If you only knew how many people tried a setup like you mention then later onl whine when it doesn't work

Reply to
mleuck

It'll never happen Kingfish...same for his butt buddy crash gordon.

Reply to
yp

don' - besides with your logic you're already beginning with a cut phone line

I know what you mean but that don't mean everybody is like that. You read reviews of products and some say they don't work and some say they work perfect. Most times its because the people who are whining shouldn't attempt or lack any understanding of what they're doing and the fault is on them.

I don't expect it to be a breeze but as with anything new there will be trial and error but I am certain I'll have favorable end results.

Reply to
yp

You made no mention of a voice dialer...which also has it's own set of problems.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

It's your time and money...but I can tell you we've tried it and it doesn't/won't work.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Yeah thats because YOU tried it. Someone who knows what they're doing it does work! I read so many posts(on the web) about it working fine and your post is the only one that said it didn't. I've even emailed a few DIYers who have no problems. Only YOU have them.

Reply to
yp

Its not a 100% world crash. Anyways I've ordered a system. Seems you're the only one with all the problems.

Reply to
yp

Does your mom know that you're playing with the computer?

Reply to
alarman

Heh. ouch!

Reply to
G. Morgan

I get such a kick out of these guys. And this one's a winner.

He's not going to get central station monitoring because the phone lines can be cut.

So he's going to use a voice dialer to call his cell phone

I guess he's going to use his neighbors phone line to do that. And of course he's always going to have his cell phone with him and he's never going to be in a place where he can't get cell service and he's never going to be in a position where he can't take a call and has to let it go to voice mail. He's never going to forget and leave his cell phone home or in the car ..... Nah .... things like that don't happen. Go ahead. Ask him. He obviously knows everything. Why else would he come here asking questions?

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.