Sentrol RCR-PET chirping on detect...how to stop or recommend another motion sensor?

I have a Sentrol/GE Interlogix RCR-PET motion detector in my system (Caddx NX-8) and anytime it detects motion it emits a little, annoying chirp. I've looked at the circuit board and can't determine what is emitting the chirp (there isn't a surface mount piezo speaker or anything) nor are there any jumpers to disable the chirp.

Can anyone offer any insight as to how I might be able to disable this chirp or possibly recommend another compatible brand of motion detector that doesn't chirp when tripped? I don't have any pets currently, but we may be getting a small dog at some point (daschund) so pet sensitivity may or may not be important depending on if the dog is caged when we're not there. Thanks in advance for all your help!

Reply to
brim
Loading thread data ...

is the sound coming from the keypad ?

I've not used that particular motion detector but VERY few motions have the option of making a noise by themselves (actually almost none do).

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Reply to
brim

Me either...and it's pretty annoying. I can take a little movie with my camera if anyone is interested.

Reply to
brim

I did...client was adamant that it was MY motion detector that was chirping and DEMANDED that I come fix it IMMEDIATELY...uh ok..so I did...when I got there it was her electrician's installed smoke detector that was nearby.

The only pir I'm aware of that makes internal noise is one of those exterior Optex's.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Reply to
brim

wow, never heard of a motion that chirps.

Reply to
joe

Microwaves maybe. If it's making noise that a normal person can hear then it's gotta be defective. Did you call the alarm company that installed it to come check it out?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

A lot of motion sensors make a very very soft click when they trip. Most people don't hear it at all, and those who do hear it can only hear it if there is zero background noise.

I never heard of one making a chirp.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I think the Sentrol is dual technology..maybe the microwave is interfering with something. Sounds weird to me.

I DID have a glassbreak chirp/chatter/complain after the house sustained a

*very* close lightning hit...the one I was tell you about in that other thread.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Here's the little movie:

formatting link
Have a look/listen. It's definetly louder than a little soft click and certianly audible over light television audio.

-b

brim wrote:

Reply to
brim

I can understand how you would interpret that sound as a chirp, however what you are hearing is the "change-over" ie. transfer of the relay contacts when the alarm state is reached. Definitely louder than it "should" be, but it's not actually a "chirp". I'd explain it more as a "snap" of the relay contacts, if I were to describe it to someone in the trade. If you listen very closely to any PIR, you'll be able to hear the relay change state. Just usually not that loud.

I'd think that your alarm company would be willing to change the unit for one that's quieter. I've used this model unit for quite a number of years now and have never had a problem with a relay being that loud. Obviously it just a fluke unit with a loud relay.

Reply to
Jim

It's just the relay, but does seem noisier than most I've heard.

Good movie! Only 2 stars cause the plot was a little weak :-)

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Reply to
bdolph

Another vote here for relay noise. It sounds more tinny than a click. Nice movie and closeup.

Bobby D

brim wrote:

Reply to
bdolph

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.