control outside lights with garage door remote?

I have a brand new Sears Garage Door Opener that has two extra buttons on car remotes ( clicker) that Sears say can be used to turn on home lights. Unfortunately all I can find is an attachment at Sears to turn on indoor lamps.

I have some outdoor landscape/driveway lights that I'd like to be able to turn on with the garage door "clicker". Anyone know a way that this can be done?

Thanks

Reply to
pak
Loading thread data ...

It would depend on what the Sears unit can provide. If it can provide a 'contact closure' then you could use an X10 module. That'd take the wires from the opener, attach to the X10 switch module and then send a powerline signal to another X10 module for the lights.

But it really all depends on what that opener actually provides. What make/model is it? Is there a webpage for it online? Or, better yet, call Sears and ask your specific question.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Bill - sorry for delay in responding- it's a Sears 3/4 HP 315 MHz, model #

139.53990D. This is all I could find in terms of a "web page"
formatting link
Not sure if page helps. I'd really like to figure this out.

Bill - sorry for delay in responding- it's a Sears 3/4 HP 315 mhz, model #

139.53990D. This is all I could find in terms of a "web page"
formatting link
Not sure if page helps. I'd really like to figure this out.

ake the wires

Reply to
pak

formatting link

The key word is "Homelink Compatible" which means it will interface with X-10. I suspect the receiver plugs into the wall and sends an On/Off code to a selectable house/unit number.

BH

Reply to
Brad Houser

OK, the specs say the opener is HomeLink compatible, but I'm a newbee to all this X10 stuff. What does X10 do? Does it receive a signal from the handheld remote of the opener ?? In layman terms, how would I go go about hooking up such a rig to interface X10 with Garage door opener??

Paul

formatting link
>

Reply to
pak

formatting link
>

Homelink devices are RF "learning". AFAIK, X10 doesn't offer a learning RF receiver module.

My wife's Acura has a three button Homelink RF transmitter that can be trained to send X10 RF signals. In training mode it receives RF and "learns" the signal it "hears". One of the buttons operates the garage door operator and one sends RF to the X10 transceiver in the house. The Homelink unit learns X10 commands by training on a signal from X10 RF sending device.

This product from Sears should be suitable for use with a Homelink transmitter... "Craftsman Plug In Light Control for Garage Door Opener Sears item #00953786000 Mfr. model #53786"

I don't believe it uses X10 house/unit codes. It is likely a self contained RF learning receiver with a switched receptacle to control a table or floor lamp.

Look here:

formatting link

Reply to
Jack Ak

Not sure the Sears Craftsman Plug In Light Control for Garage Door Opener, Sears item #00953786000 Mfr. model #53786 is the answer for me. It plugs into an indoor household wall socket that you can plug a lamp into. I have outdoor driveway lights that turn on by a switch, I need a way to activate that switch remotely, or to replace the switch with something (X10 module)? Hope the discussion continues so I can figure this out. Thanks Paul

formatting link
> >

Reply to
pak

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.