It's me

Depending on their browser settings a first time visitor to BBA will very likely get a pop up from Inet.

You owe Frank an apology

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L
Loading thread data ...

Yup thats what I did

I never hit cancel figuring it would do that, I just close the window

Reply to
Mark Leuck

A day in the life of RLB, open mouth, insert foot, accuse everyone else of lying repeat as often as possible.

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

Reply to
obo

its just a cookie .. not spyware, though anti spyware programs normally see cookies as such. Almost every web page you visit these days, you are given a cookie, generally on shopping carts, member sites, and for advertising statistics .. i prefer orios myself :-)

still the Kounter guys need to stop with the pop ups, or i would switch to another counter. You can create your own or download scripts for it, get one that allows you to include it as an image and that will work for the static shopping cart pages.

Reply to
cctvbahamas

yea I can't believe he'd flame Frank like that when all Frank wa trying to do was help. yeeesh what a putz.

Reply to
obo

Oddly, it only seemed to do it the first time... perhaps it also deposited a cookie. But it sure as f*ck was a persistant bugger.

Okay, just for laughs, I just deleted all the cookies on my server, and hit bassburglaralarms.com again... and got the WinFixer popups again!

And again, it asks me to install WinFixer... to wit, "NOTICE: If your computer has errors in the registry database, it could cause unpredictable or erratic behavior, freezes and crashs. Fixing these errors can increase your computer's performance and prevent data loss. Would you like to install WinFixer 2005 to check your computer for free? (Recommended)" Cancelling opens another window to the WinFixer site and an Installer popup telling me that by clicking the Continue button I am "accepting [their] terms and conditions", and with only a "Continue" button, no Cancel button.

Clicking the X on the top-right closes that popup, but on closing the IE window, another warning pops up: "NOTICE: You have not completed the errors[sic] scan. If your computer has errors in the file system or Windows registry, it could cause unpredictable or erratic PC behavior, freezes, crashes and loss of data. You need to install WinFixer 2005 to scan for and, if found, fix system errors now (Recommended)?"

Hitting Cancel gives the popup "WinFixer 2005 will scan your system for errors now. Please select "RUN" or "OPEN" when prompted to start the installation. This file has been digitally signed and independently certified as 100% free of viruses, adware and spyware." And only an "OK" button.

Which dutifully gives me the "If automated download doesn't start..." window, and the Open/Save/Cancel/MoreInfo dialog.

This is entirely reproduceable... it doesn't come back until I delete cookies, and the just refresh> okay on my w2k machine here Sat morning

Reply to
Matt Ion

I don't have to believe it - I've witnessed it myself, and it's completely repeatable. If it's not in your code, then it's in the server, but it IS there.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Try clearing your cookies and do it again.

If you like, I'll provide you screenshots.

Reply to
Matt Ion

he's trying to put a spybot on your machine so he can figure out what distributor you clerk for.;)

Reply to
obo

Now you've gone and done it!!! Another "detractor"! Welcome to the "IB". :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

He wont believe a screen shot..but if you use a software that "film" what you do and post the result somewhere maybe he will believe..

of course you should install anti spyware from Microsoft before doing so and show the result of a scan before doing the test on the web site..maybe he will believe that.. but I am not even sure he will

"Matt I>> Just for the heck of it, I turned off McAffee, shut off my anti-spyware

Reply to
petem

forget my last post...

i did it, i used snagit to film the events..

at first i open my browser(firefox) and remove history and cookies then i open hijackthis..( a software that scan for process and help removing spyware..) of course nothing show that i have spyware on my laptop

then i reopen my browser ,paste the url press enter and we have a pop up...i do it twice, then i go in the setting of firefox and tell it to not show popup, do the cleaning again and reopen the site,for sure i have a line showing that it blocked a popup.. if there would be spyware on my machine i would see pop up even if they are bieng blocked by firefox..

but then again i dont think i will say its true...

i will send the avi file to him by email,and if anyone want it just ask by email snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
petem

Sorry my bad, I should have explained a little further, yes the cookie is simply a text file, it doesnt do anything itself, the scripts do all the actual work :-) It looks for its customized cookie, then it sais if it isnt there, create the cookie, and in at least the case of the Kounter guys, load the pop up script, if the cookie is found, it doesnt load the pop up.

In this case it actually installs 5 cookies.

banner3.inet-traffic.com inet-traffic.com server.iad.liveperson kounter.com liveperson.net

Reply to
cctvbahamas

also, this is what happens when you have to rely on others code for your web site unfortunately. Everything can be created by an experienced web master themselves, without using 3rd party scripts, counters, etc. However I understand that not everyone is a coder. ;-)

Reply to
cctvbahamas

Welcome to "Robert's Zone". A world of slight and frown. Where pop-ups and Java scripts abound. Simply "left click" and start your journey ...

Reply to
Frank Olson

winfeatures="width=800,height=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,toolbar=1,location=1,menubar=1,status=1,directories=1"

Yep, that's it, alright. Unfortunately, Robert won't believe you either because you're nothing but *another dirty rotten liar*!!! :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! Good one, "obo"!!!

Fill your fireman's boots, Robert!!!

Reply to
Frank Olson

First of all, the whole thing is an Olson ruse. There are no popups on the site. Second, I've created my own websites for years. I chose the SF shopping cart because it's better than what I wrote. However, there's nothing in their code that would introduce popups.

Reply to
robertlbass

The only thing I "owe" Olson is a swift boot in his butt.

Reply to
robertlbass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.