It's me

That link should say

formatting link
I hadn't had my morning cup of coffee yet...

Reply to
Frank Olson
Loading thread data ...

On first connect with IE (SP2 with blocker off for this page) it popped up a small window, I know I don't have spyware.

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Let it go Frank, eventually he'll find out he does have popups then quietly fix it if he hasn't already done it, without admitting it here of course

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Subject: Re: It's me Newsgroup: alt.security.alarms => Where's my WEBTV? Actually I have 5 different providers but I still miss my WEBTV. No

If you're serious I saw a couple in a second-hand shop the other day I could pick up. I'm sure they are still there. I think they only wanted $5 for one.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Thats the first time I've ever noticed it although I normally use Firefox and blocking extensions, I will assume he doesn't realize it for the same reasons and I also doubt it's intentional since its a rather pitiful popup and the revenue would be next to nothing.

Reply to
Mark Leuck

NOpe. I'm still hosting them at your request, but decided to limit them to display for your IP address only... Please let me know when you're leaving for Bahia so I can add that address too.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Heh... People have been complaining about pop-ups on his site for months. He's been "working on it" for about that long too...

Reply to
Frank Olson

You're a liar, Olson.

Reply to
robertlbass

All I can tell you is there are no pop-ups on my server. If you got one, it didn't come from my site. The people who maintain the SF sites run anti-syware and anti-virus SW on all of the servers, including dedicated machines which belong to me. Not one client has ever said they got a pop-up from my sites. With 25-30,000 visitors (not hits) per month, if there was a problem I;d have heard of it long before.

I couldn't care less if you think these toads are right. They're laughing at you for believing their BS. The code on my home page is simple enough to follow. There's nothing in it that can activate an automated popup -- only those you *request* by clicking "Add to Cart". The claims that Kounter triggers a popup are also ridiculous. The HTML that displays Kounter's image has nothing in it that could do so. If you believe otherwise you're the one who is dense (or you don't know how to read HTML).

Reply to
robertlbass

Just for the heck of it, I turned off McAffee, shut off my anti-spyware and set my browser to allow all pop-ups. Then I went to my website. No pop-ups. Nada. Zip. Just an ordinary online store selling lots of alarm and home automation systems.

Conclusion: You're wrong. (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not a liar).

Reply to
robertlbass

Of all the pop-ups on Bass' site this one is the most annoying. The html encoding they're using is "timed" almost perfectly to pop up the "install" window right around the time you left click to close (or cancel) the bogus "search". A word of warning: If you're going to click on the link I've supplied, please *wait* until all the pop-ups complete (or simply take my word for it and don't even bother)...

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

I just checked and got it again, it doesn't seem to happen every time and I've only seen it twice

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Reply to
mikey

Set Firefox to allow popups for

formatting link
...go to the site..Firefox displays warning that 1 popup has been blocked...click on yellow warning bar and popup displays...link is
formatting link
When I navigate there with OE with the Google toolbar installed I get a warning that 2 popups have been blocked.....definitely something going on there.....

Reply to
coord

site..Firefox displays

displays...link

warning that 2 popups

Reply to
coord

No he's not... I just tried it on a fresh new heavily-secured install of Win2K3 server (ie. NO spyware here)... bassburglaralarms.com almost immediately gave me a popup for WinFixer and when I hit Cancel it opened a new window with the WinFixer page and another popup announcing it was the WinFixer installer, without my even clicking anything on the page.

Nice.

Ah, then back on the original window, I got the same initial WinFixer popup again... cancelling again gave me an "Are you sure??" popup, and cancelling that gave me an "your automated download will begin..." popup, and a "Save/Open" download dialog all ready to start downloading the thing!

Y'know, I'm new in these parts, and I really couldn't be bothered going back into the group archives to look stuff up when others started posting "warnings" about you; I just figured they were being reactionary or something, as tends to happen online, because I didn't expect you could REALLY be as much as a shmuck as they claimed...

Now I see they were right.

Either that, or someone else has slipped this code into your site and you're just incredibly dense for not realizing it.

Reply to
Matt Ion

actually i just visited in IE, being very daring as I never use IE anymore, I turned pop up blocker off, and it popped up this link:

formatting link

Reply to
cctvbahamas

I ended up clearing all history and cookies in IE and a link to this one shows

site..Firefox displays

popup displays...link is

warning that 2 popups

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Delete your cookies and history and it will appear

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Not taking sides, just pointing out I made an initial error in my assessment ;-)

Robert you may want to check that counter site out, as they are putting pop ups on your visitors initial load of the page, it looks for a cookie then if the cookie doesnt exist (first time user) it loads the pop up. You can recreate the pop up simply by clearing your browser's cookies.

This is the code in the home page that is invoking the script for the pop up::

And this is the code that actually launches the pop up from the Kounter page:: (actual link changes as it is rotating i imagine)

var winfeatures="width=800,height=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,toolbar=1,location=1,menubar=1,status=1,directories=1" win2=window.open("

formatting link
","",winfeatures)win2.blur() window.focus()

JJ_reset()

Reply to
cctvbahamas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.