ISC West

Anyone going? It's next week.

Reply to
alarman
Loading thread data ...

Not in the budget, unfortunately. I'll see you there next year for sure and buy you a Coke.

Reply to
Moe Szyslak

You should have come over for bike week at Daytona Beach.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

And you'll miss the chance to see all the new products that don't actually exist yet? And you'll miss the chance to rub elbows with all those fine manufacturer's reps; who just want to know how much of their gear you're going to buy this year?

Reply to
Roland Moore

It's not all worthless. For one thing, you get a year's supply of pocket screwdrivers and lots of pens.

I like EH Expo much more than ISC (East). Most of the firms I buy from are there and they've always got something interesting to show off. The home automation stuff is more interesting to me than basic alarm gear.

There's also a good showing from the CCTV manufacturers. That's an area that's been growing nicely for us as more corporate and government agencies shop online.

If ISC, ASIS, CEDIA or EHExpo would do something in SF or Sacramento, I'd attend if only for an excuse to see some friends and family who still live there.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

BTDT, would rather go to Phoenix....

Reply to
Dan Wright

I didn't know you ride. I'd go to Phoenix but that's farther than I ever want to ride a scooter. We have friends in Chandler which is outside Phoenix a few miles.

I've been toying with the idea of buying a big touring bike, maybe next year. It'd be a lot of fun -- kind of depends on how well a new online program I'm working on pans out.

I've seen a pretty nice BMW but the Honda Goldwing looks good too. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I've been riding for almost 40 years

Honda Deauville would be a great next bike for you but its not imported. Honda Pacific Coast would also be a good choice, but its been out of production for 10 years, but at $3-4K a good buy.. Either would be a good next step from your Bergman but manageable. If you want to go long distances, I suggest you step up from the Bergman into a mid size bike for a while. There are differences that you should be comfortable with before you move on to a large touring bike.

As for serious touring bikes, BMW, Wings, and HD baggers are all very capable bikes in a similar price range. Lots of aftermarket support as well. Find one that is a close fit and go with it. Plan on doing some customizing such as seats, and wind protection. Another key concern would be if you are solo or two up. My personal ride is a Concours, which is probably a bit tall for you. My wife rides a PC800. Were we riding two up it would be a 1800 Wing.

For those interested in serious distance riding, I recommend:

formatting link
(work safe)

Reply to
Dan Wright

Clarification. Even if I get a touring bike I doubt I'll ride to Phoenix. Bob Campbell's method would be more to my liking. Trailer the bike to the destination area and then ride all over the place. My thought is to get something more comfortable for rides of 200 to maybe 500 miles. The Burgman is immensely comfortable and more thanb adequate for around town riding, but it isn't quite right for cutting across the state or riding down to Ft. Lauderdale. Of course, it could just be that I'm not particularly proficient yet. We'll see how things pan out over the next few months.

Price isn't so much an issue as how it rides. Also, top speed isn't very important as long as it'll do highway speeds without becoming too tiring (for machine or rider).

That makes a lot of sense.

We looked at a Goldwing several years ago and at the time I think it was ~$28K plus custom stuff. I suppose they're in the mid

30's by now though I haven't really checked.

Yep. The first thing I did with the Burgman was replace the windscreen with a larger one. The OEM screen forced the wind directly at the top of my helmet. It was l-o-u-d. The new screen made it quieter and not so rough returning home from parties on chilly nights.

Bob Campbell built his own wind deflectors for his bike. They looked pro and he says they work well.

Local rides are often 2-up. Anything on the highway and my sweetheart prefers to be in a car. If we decide to do any cross- country stuff it'll definitely involve a trailer.

IIRC, you're a good deal taller than me 5'10.

Neat. Added to favorites. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Hacienda just had a big show...zillion Harleys and fat wimmens too.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Hmmmm...I like your plan better. js

Reply to
alarman

I have been trying to tell everyone it is okay to come back to Orlando for the ISC. We have the air conditioning fixed.

BobbyD

Reply to
BobbyD

Are you in the Orlando area?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

That's funny!

Reply to
Jim

Reply to
Roland Moore

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.