Interlogic/Caddx NX8E Partioning

Gentlemen,

Have been using the product line for about twenty years. I have an existing NX8E system in a historic mansion cotaining wireless door xmitters and wireless motion detectors, along with some wired door switches, and GSM backup. Two keypads are NX148E and NX148E-RF.

The owner, a non-profit, will be conducting public tours throughout the house, except for six rooms wherein there will be displayed a great deal of valuable art.

They would like us to install wireless MD's and door xmitters in each room. They would like also to be able to lock these rooms and arm the detectors during the tours, and I assume at the same time when the remainder of the mansion is fully armed.

I am familiar with the procedures for bypassiing groups of zones using the STAY button, or by bypassing individual zones.

I have never used the partitioning feature. I have talked to tech support and received a few instructions, that I have not tried. I would like someone from this group to make a copy of a customer's programming sheet, minus the personal and sensitive info. By loading this programming to an NX8E on my test bench, I can better understand much more quickly the basics of partioning and I should be able to modify the settings for my particular use.

My plan is to install a 2nd NX148E adjacent to the existing NX148E, attached to the same buss, that would arm/disarm the above mentioned doors and MD's. There would also be a differnt code to arm/disarm the six rooms, and known only to select employees.

Thanks in advance, Charlie

Reply to
chasbo
Loading thread data ...

Charlie,

There are a multitude of ways to set up partitioning on your bench. Just program one or two zones to partition 2 and play with it. You really don't need an extra keypad. Just use the command *1 to make the keypad a master keypad and then choose which partition you want to control.

If you have been using the product line for twenty years, then you have a good copy of DL900. Set it up an play. Make all the mistakes you want since making mistakes is the best teacher.

Good Luck.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

The use of the LCD keypad as a master is confusing, and acknowledged by GE, UTC, etc. You will see what I mean when you bench test your system. I suggest you add an LED keypad and allocate it to only the partition in the high security area. Also you might want to put that keypad _in_ the secured area near the door with a short entry delay (10 seconds). If you want to go the Master Keypad route with an LCD keypad, consider creating written instructions for the user, then try arming/disarming it with your dumbest mindset, using those instructions.

Hope that helps, John American Sentry

Reply to
John R. Sowden

John,

Everyone has their opinion but using a NX148E addressed to Partition 1 and the *1 code command make it quite simple to use with multiple partitions. With just 2 partitions it is a cake walk.

I presently have a building with 8 partitions and about 95 users and except for a few dumb moments it has been doing just fine for the past 6 years or so. There are a total of 6 LCD keypads along with NX216E's and NX507E doing a multitude of magic tricks.

Anyhow to each his own.

Have a good week.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Thank you Les and John.

I will try both ways to see which is the best for my customer. I lean toward the use of an LCD pad with a separate arm/disarm code, placed within one of the five high-value rooms on the second floor. A second LCD will be mounted adjacent to the existing LCD on the first floor at the extreme opposit end of the mansion.

The existing pad arms the doors and motion detectors, a system that has been installed for several years.

The two pads to be installed in concert with the wireless door switches and wirelesss MD's in the five rooms will be prorammed to require the entry of the code in order to view/scroll the zone descriptions.

Assuming that the employees will be instructed to use either of the two new LCD's to arm and disarm the five 2nd floor rooms, what part, then, does the existing LCD play? Does the existing pad also arm/disarm the five rooms?

The existing system is in partition one. Should I place the five rooms in partition two? Or make the existing system partition two and the five doors partition one?

Thanks again,

Charlie

Reply to
chasbo

Charlie,

No sense to reassign the existing zones already in place, just add the new as needed.

Don't know the layout and the traffic pattern so if your adding a 2nd LCD that is convenient to the new area then address a device 208. Then a code that is assigned to both areas and is used at that keypad will just disarm that area.

I am using the word instead because it is easier to type.

Set it up on your bench and play with it.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

UN -- Fricken ---- believable!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Jim Davis

Hi Charlie,

I am surprised that you have used Caddx/Networx/Interlogic for 20 years and have never had an extra partition, ever. You need to simplify this in your head. You are making this 2nd partition h arder than it is. If you can understand that you could add an extra mainboard with its own kp and some wireless zones, whether they are doors or motions, and just use i t for those "high security rooms", 'a separate system'; then you should be able to figure out in the programming sheets where to put the info that you need for partition 2. You assign your new kp or kpads to the 2nd partition . You assign your zones to partition 2. You will want to make this for your customer to be brain-drain neutral. If you are fuzzy on the subject, your customer is going to be way worse. You just tell them to use "new keypad" f or those new rooms security. Just put a big label on it that states that si mply. I would not rely on them understanding anything else, unless you don' t mind getting calls all the time. They are unfortunately, "Untrained Minds devoid of logical thinking" with keypad phobias and irrational fears. Now back to you, you need to find the sections in the programming sheets th at have to do with partition 2. It is not that hard to find and it is very logical. Just find the partition selection in the book for the zone numbers that you want to use for those new zones. Of course, you will assign the z one types also. Even an NX6 has room for 2 partitions, you would use locati on 26 and 28 for partition selection. As everyone has said, get another boa rd and 2 keypads and some wireless contacts and program the thing until it works offsite. Then you can go onsite and zip thru it...and look like you k now what you are doing.

...If you freeze up onsite, just go back and forth to your van a few times, get on the phone to tech support, push any buttons for the phone menu, and then exclaim out loud within earshot of your customer, "They gave me the wrong parts again!" Warning! I would not use this one more than once tho ugh.

As Bill Murray famously said in "What about Bob"...Baby steps, install kp, baby steps, connect kp to board...etc

Not trying to be smart, just hoping that humor will calm your mind.

Reply to
E DAWSON

Dawson,

Personally I have a feeling that this Charlie is jerking a chain or two. Either he is having a serious fear of the unknown that in this business can be suicide or he is playing dumb expecting someone else to figure it out for him. It would seem to me if he really needed help he would be back here asking for more typing details.

Either way the old saying that has been said here a few times as I remember may apply. "I can explain it to you, but, I can't understand it for you."

Have a good weekend.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Yes, I agree Les. I do not really believe that he is actually a technician.

1. He said that he has been using (not installing) this product line. 2. An installer would not need to state that he is familiar with the Stay button...really. 3. He requests a copy of a customer's programming sheet minus the personal and sensitive info... I don't know any installer who actually keeps 'a cus tomer's programming sheet', and even if you did, there is nothing really pe rsonal to it except the account number and telco. I keep one installer's ma nual for each brand that we use with all the notes possibly needed for resi dential, commercial, dual lines, triple lines with IP/cellular backup, and on and on. But a customer's individual sheet...I don't think so.
  2. He is 'loading' the programming... and can better understand more quickl y!!! The best way to understand is not thru download or a computer input, b ut by actual keypad input following the installer manual.
  3. Asking if you should keep the existing system in Partition 1 or switch i t to Partition 2 is a really odd question at best.

He does not exhibit much knowledge nor understanding if he is an installer.

...I would not feel very comfortable if I was his customer at the moment.

Now maybe this could actually be a top-secret covert operation orchestrated by none other than the R_u_s_h_Y_u_n_s. I'll have to talk to the big 'D' a bout this. As soon as I get a Tweet back, I will let you know.

Have a good weekend also.

Reply to
E Dawson

Now that is very funny!! Even for this group. Times are a changing.

Reply to
ABLE1

y button...really.

al and sensitive info... I don't know any installer who actually keeps 'a c ustomer's programming sheet', and even if you did, there is nothing really personal to it except the account number and telco. I keep one installer's manual for each brand that we use with all the notes possibly needed for re sidential, commercial, dual lines, triple lines with IP/cellular backup, an d on and on. But a customer's individual sheet...I don't think so.

kly!!! The best way to understand is not thru download or a computer input, but by actual keypad input following the installer manual.

it to Partition 2 is a really odd question at best.

ed by none other than the R_u_s_h_Y_u_n_s. I'll have to talk to the big 'D' about this. As soon as I get a Tweet back, I will let you know.

HA HA HA! VERY funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I said

Un -- Fricken -- believable!!!!!!!!

If this guy is in the alarm installation business I pity his customers and finally realize that sometimes the horror stories are true.

He's been using a product for 20 years????

I'd like to know what the hell he's been using it for. In a historic mansio n yet!!!!!! Holy CRAP!!!

Also I am really ... really .... truly ashamed that anyone reading this thr ead might take away the idea that there are more of him in this trade than any true professional would like to think there is.

Jeeeze! how embarrassing!

Maybe it's time to retire.

I used to wonder where crotchety old men came from ..... now I know.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Hey, I been keeping programming sheets on customer panels installed for

38 years.. ( just in case I ever had to verify the settings or reprogram one on the bench for 'one of the boys' to replace.. ) ((Had a customers kid try his hand at programming one time, came in real hand that day))

But I can see your point..

RTS

Reply to
Rocky T. Squirrel

Never knew about this group. Interesting topic;

For about 30 years we provided all of the security for a major Canadian uni versity. In that time we've done everything imaginable, but one thing that became an important part of what we did was to try and outthink the studen ts. That means that keypads were a no-no, since there is no control over w ho has the codes.

To that end we've provided everything from access cards to my personal favo urite, the Corby key. Where we had a string of small labs to protect we'd provide one Corby decoder for each lab wired to one zone on the NX8 program med as a keyswitch arming zone - each partition would be a single lab, allo wing us to have 8 partitions serving 8 labs and where there were more than

8, a second panel.

There'd be a single NX148e keypad for each panel, set up as a master. The Keypad would be locked in a maintenance closet. The guards could go by and arm or disarm any or all of the partitions.

Each Corby decoder would be set up with the token for that particular lab, a couple of tokens for the guards and a couple for the departments - each d ecoder can handle 16 tokens.

The readers would be equipped with the 2 LED plate and an output module wou ld drive the LEDs indicating armed and ready status.

In the programming we also set up a timed arming to set the alarm for any p artitions not already armed.

You could so something similar if you were so inclined - but instead of usi ng the Corby decoders you could wire up 8 N.O. momentary pushbuttons, each to one one with the common return passed through a keyswitch, Corby decoder or even a times relay output driven by a keypad code - activate the relay, then press the buttons associated with whichever partitions you wanted to toggle - you can install status leds, the same as we did for the University .

Just another option that requires no learning curve for the user to operate - touch the Corby key to the reader, then while the buttons are active, pr ess whichever ones you need in order to achieve the result you want.

Of course you can also program the panel to autoarm the zones at 10PM (or w henever) in case someone goes home having forgotten to set the system - and you can have it pre-alert anybody who may be there in case they need to ab ort the arming process.

Reply to
fredtrue

niversity. In that time we've done everything imaginable, but one thing th at became an important part of what we did was to try and outthink the stud ents. That means that keypads were a no-no, since there is no control over who has the codes.

vourite, the Corby key. Where we had a string of small labs to protect we' d provide one Corby decoder for each lab wired to one zone on the NX8 progr ammed as a keyswitch arming zone - each partition would be a single lab, al lowing us to have 8 partitions serving 8 labs and where there were more tha n 8, a second panel.

e Keypad would be locked in a maintenance closet. The guards could go by a nd arm or disarm any or all of the partitions.

, a couple of tokens for the guards and a couple for the departments - each decoder can handle 16 tokens.

ould drive the LEDs indicating armed and ready status.

partitions not already armed.

sing the Corby decoders you could wire up 8 N.O. momentary pushbuttons, eac h to one one with the common return passed through a keyswitch, Corby decod er or even a times relay output driven by a keypad code - activate the rela y, then press the buttons associated with whichever partitions you wanted t o toggle - you can install status leds, the same as we did for the Universi ty.

te - touch the Corby key to the reader, then while the buttons are active, press whichever ones you need in order to achieve the result you want.

whenever) in case someone goes home having forgotten to set the system - a nd you can have it pre-alert anybody who may be there in case they need to abort the arming process.

Reply to
Jim Davis

niversity. In that time we've done everything imaginable, but one thing th at became an important part of what we did was to try and outthink the stud ents. That means that keypads were a no-no, since there is no control over who has the codes.

vourite, the Corby key. Where we had a string of small labs to protect we' d provide one Corby decoder for each lab wired to one zone on the NX8 progr ammed as a keyswitch arming zone - each partition would be a single lab, al lowing us to have 8 partitions serving 8 labs and where there were more tha n 8, a second panel.

e Keypad would be locked in a maintenance closet. The guards could go by a nd arm or disarm any or all of the partitions.

, a couple of tokens for the guards and a couple for the departments - each decoder can handle 16 tokens.

ould drive the LEDs indicating armed and ready status.

partitions not already armed.

sing the Corby decoders you could wire up 8 N.O. momentary pushbuttons, eac h to one one with the common return passed through a keyswitch, Corby decod er or even a times relay output driven by a keypad code - activate the rela y, then press the buttons associated with whichever partitions you wanted t o toggle - you can install status leds, the same as we did for the Universi ty.

te - touch the Corby key to the reader, then while the buttons are active, press whichever ones you need in order to achieve the result you want.

whenever) in case someone goes home having forgotten to set the system - a nd you can have it pre-alert anybody who may be there in case they need to abort the arming process.

Keep checking in.

It gets pretty quiet for periods but there's a lot of knowledge hanging out here checking in and asking and answering questions for lots of years.

We could use some new blood.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.