Newbie help - Caddx NX8e fire alarm reset

Hello, I decided to jump into installing my own system in my new home and was bench testing a smoke (DSC FSA-410BST). I tripped the system for fire on the bench and then shut it down by simply pulling the plug. Now when I installed the panel in the home plus the 10 DSA smokes (EOL relay plus prm-4W module) in sequence and hooked it all up, the panel keeps flashing "Fire" and Zone 8 trouble. It is also annoying in that the sounder inside the keypads (both are LCD pads) keeps going off and is only silenced temporarily by pressing a key. I did a panel reset (*8, 9713, 910#), but nothing seems to reset the "fire" condition. How the heck do I reset this? Thanks!

Reply to
Wambro
Loading thread data ...

Disconnect the fire zone wiring from the panel, but leave the power connected to the smokes. With an ohm meter, measure the resistance of the loop. It should be near 3.3k. What do you get?

Place a 3.3k resistor across the fire zone on the panel, and try a reset again. Does this clear the trouble? js

Reply to
alarman

If you haven't changed any user codes, try entering "1234" (Default User Master Code) to silence the trouble condition, or enter whatever you've chosen for a User Master Code... BTW: you cannot be in programming mode and cancel alarms/troubles at the same time... Regards, Russ

Reply to
Russell Brill

after 1234 to silence as Russ points out then press *7 to reset

Reply to
joe

The eol relay is supposed to simply open the loop if power to the smoke detectors fails. The Napco model sounds like it has a built-in eol resistor as well. Caddx panels use 3.3k resistors on the zones. Adding a resistor might work, but I would get a new eol relay without any resistor and then add the 3.3 at the eol relay. Do not place any resistor at the panel terminals. js

Reply to
alarman

Reply to
alarman

Thanks for all the good advice. I was at the house today and the 1234,

*7 did the trick to turn off the fire alarm state. I was pressing the heck out of 1234, but missing the *7. Funny how that can happen when the !#$% thing won't stop squaking in your face!

I also measured the resistance across the smoke loop when disconnected from the panel but powered by the AC. I got 2.2K Ohm. Js indicated it needs to be 3.3K Ohm - will the panel still see termination with 2.2K? This is clearly the value of the Napco FT2200 EOL relay I used. Will the Caddx work with this resistance, and if not, can I drop a 1K resistor in parallel across the terminals to make up the difference?

Thanks again - great supportive group!

Reply to
Wambro

Oh, to be clear, I was thinking about dropping the 1K resistor in parallel across the C and NO terminals of the last smoke, not the Caddx NX8e. Thanks

Reply to
Wambro

Adding a resistor in parallel will not add to the present value. It will decrease it. To be specific, a 1K Ohm resistor in parallel with a 2.2K Ohm resistor would give you roughly 680 Ohms. That's not precise, but neither is the nominal value of the resistor.

Your best bet will be to either open the EOL relay and install the additional resistor in series with the existing resistor or replace the EOL relay.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.