How much of a deterrent is a non-ADT/Brinks home security system?

It makes a lot of sense to me to install our own system and have it monitored by a company like Next Alarm.

What I'm concerned about is the signs outside the house will not be the familiar ADT/Brinks signs and therefore not have the same effectiveness at deterring potential burglars. What are your thoughts on that?

Reply to
draganam
Loading thread data ...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
KingFish

The reason I ask is because from my limited reading, it's the signs that do most of the work at preventing break-ins.

Sorry for my ignorance. If there's a thread that discusses this, I would appreciate a link.

Thanks.

Reply to
draganam

You are a victim of the advertising hype. ADT and Brinks systems are among the least adequate, most poorly installed systems available, in my opinion.

Reply to
alarman

HEy...if I were a burglar...those are the homes I would be targeting.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

My thoughts are that an ADT or Brinks sign in front of your home is comparable to having a Yugo or Fiat insignia on your car- folks are gonna know that a)- the owner is cheap, and b)- he doesn't have a very good alarm system (or car)

Want REAL security? Go with a local company- more money up front, lower ongoing costs, and a REAL security system; not cookie-cutter BS. In 9 independent companies out of 10, you WILL save money over time, have a better system, and will scare away or detect the criminals more easily.

Trust me on this. I used to work for ADT. I've also worked for small local companies, and owned my own- there is no comparison. I do not currently work in the alarm industry. (I sell CCTV equipment to small businesses & Do-It-Yourselfers)

Reply to
Steven Vaughan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.