ADT New Installation - Keypad not Powered Up

I bought a house with an existing alarm installed by ADT. It is a DSC1550 model, and the keypad is the simple one with the upright oval buttons F A P at the bottom.

To my knowledge, this system has never been monitored, but is fully wired according to the Brinks service tech that did the inspection prior to buying the house.

However, the keypad is not powered up. I have traced all the wiring with a tone tester, and verified the system has power and there's power going to the keypad.

I don't want a monitoring service. I want to do it myself with a program me and my friend wrote to interface the alarm system to a PC via serial port.

My question is, how do you get this keypad powered up? Is there a multibutton sequence to push and then a master code? I would need that too. Once I get that far, I have the manual to configure it.

There is no phone line hooked up to it at this time either, so I'm not worried about ADT finding out I've done something or triggering a police dispatch. As far as I'm concerned, I own it and can do what I want with it.

Reply to
ejlackey
Loading thread data ...

inline...

Those Brinks inspections are just a joke to get their foot in your door...somehow they get leads from Realtors, often if you decide to go with them they want to remove the system that is already there and install one of their proprietary systems.

| | However, the keypad is not powered up. I have traced all the wiring | with a tone tester, and verified the system has power and there's power | going to the keypad.

Sometimes ADT will leave the keypad wiring disconnected behind the keypad...check that. OR...a Realtor disconnected it because it was beeping for low battery, power fail, fail to communicate.

| | I don't want a monitoring service. I want to do it myself with a | program me and my friend wrote to interface the alarm system to a PC | via serial port.

Good luck.

| | My question is, how do you get this keypad powered up? Is there a | multibutton sequence to push and then a master code? I would need that | too. Once I get that far, I have the manual to configure it.

Check the wiring at the keypad.

| | There is no phone line hooked up to it at this time either, so I'm not | worried about ADT finding out I've done something or triggering a | police dispatch. As far as I'm concerned, I own it and can do what I | want with it.

Go for it!

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.