Brinks security system is dead

I came back after evacuating beucase of hurracan Rita and turn on all the switches back on, but I forgot to turn the switch from the attic where the adapter of the alarm system is plugged in. Everything was working fine.

I saw a message on the keypad saying something about the AC power. I didn't pay too much attention to it. Later that day I tried to set the alarm on and it was completely dead. I went to the main switch and I turn it on. No luck. I turned everything off and on again, from the main switch, with the same results.

I called Brinks, disconnected the phone line, battery and adapter. Same thing. I changed the battery from a previous alarm system, still dead. I made sure that the power plate had power.

I noticed that when I connect the negative cable in the battery, there are some sparks coming out.

Any ideas of what is the problem? Brink will come within a month and mabe it will take a couple of hours, so the can charge me 60+ bucks.

Thx

Reply to
Kab
Loading thread data ...

Yes sit and wait and have that checkbook handy

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Battery has "deep discharged" and needs to be replaced. Sounds like your transformer might be blown as well, but replace the battery first- with a new, fully charged one. Rat Shack has 'em for about $30, and you can find them on Ebay for about $25 with shipping. You need the battery anyway, and if that's all that's wrong, you've saved yourself a service call. Check back with us after you've installed a brand new batt. Good luck.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

your x-former is dead, so your battery will not charge...(if you see a message on the kp that you've never seen before, it's a good idea to pay attention to it!!!) when you call brinks, tell them that your problem is because of Katrina....there is no charge for the first hour due to a disaster......the call will not take more than 15 minutes to complete

Reply to
bdebj2

It may take longer. The OP stated there were "sparks" coming out when he tried to connect the negative lead from another battery. It's amazing to me how many people try to "fix" something on their own to avoid a service call that would take a pro a few minutes to correct. I had one customer "decide" to power his fire alarm panel from another breaker panel while a restoration company was renovating the electrical room. He cut off the end off an extension cord and wired the 110 directly to one of the bell outputs (assuming the larger gauge wire for the circuit matched the gauge on the extension cord which meant "AC in"). *That* was an expensive service call. I love the smell of burnt circuit boards...

Reply to
Frank Olson

Transformers are cheap, readily available and can be replaced by the homeowner in five minutes or less. The second battery may also need replacement if it's been in use without a working transformer for a few days.

He already called them. They said they will come in about a month. I guess that's their idea of service. :^)

It shouldn't.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

You are the ultimate numbnut. Did it ever occur to you that many alarm dealers and their employees were thrown for a loop by Katrina? Save the coroner some time and slap a toe tag on Bass because you're nothing but deadweight.

Reply to
no wires showing

Thats a good one and true too.

| >>your x-former is dead, so your battery will not charge...(if you see a | >>message on the kp | >>that you've never seen before, it's a good idea to pay attention to it!!!) | >>when you call brinks, tell them that your problem is because of | >>Katrina....there is | >>no charge for the first hour due to a disaster......the call will not take | >>more than 15 | >>minutes to complete | >

| >

| >

| > It may take longer. The OP stated there were "sparks" coming out when he | > tried to connect the negative lead from another battery. It's amazing to me | > how many people try to "fix" something on their own to avoid a service call | > that would take a pro a few minutes to correct. I had one customer "decide" | > to power his fire alarm panel from another breaker panel while a restoration | > company was renovating the electrical room. He cut off the end off an | > extension cord and wired the 110 directly to one of the bell outputs | > (assuming the larger gauge wire for the circuit matched the gauge on the | > extension cord which meant "AC in"). *That* was an expensive service call. | > I love the smell of burnt circuit boards... | >

| >

| I think it was a while back on this ng someone quoted a service manager | as saying he likes it when folks try to fix their own systems... he | makes a lot more money that way...

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I think it was a while back on this ng someone quoted a service manager as saying he likes it when folks try to fix their own systems... he makes a lot more money that way...

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Technically, if it's a Brinks system there isn't a warranty. It belongs to Brinks. If they actually gave a rat's jiminex about their customers they'd service them in less than a month.

Bullshit! The panel doesn't need to be reprogrammed just because the pwer went out. If it does, then Brinks is using some pretty old technology.

Well, it is Brinks so this comes as no surprise.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

">

technically this would void any kind of warranty..... and more than likely, the panel needs to be reprogrammed for some reason, the 3000 alpha panels are defaulting themselves when the power comes back on....no one seems to be able to explain this!! the x-former he has is rated for 25va, when power was restored the x-former was blown....the new ones are rated at 40va

if they said a month, they are lying...brinks has a backlog because of the storms, but NOT a month long......he needs to call for ems

it won't

Reply to
bdebj2

i'm gonna give this one more shot.......i know it's like talking to a wall, but i'll try.....

Technically, there is a warranty...it's on parts..it's a lifetime warranty that guarantees all parts as long as they were NOT damaged by the cust!!..if this guy damages his system due to trying to fix it himself, then the warranty does not apply ....that SHOULD be simple enough for even YOU to understand!!

i call BULLSHIT on YOU!!! i KNOW what i'm talking about here..... it's not "just because the power went out", BUT no one seems to know exactly WHY it does it...just that it does....if the transformer "quits", then the system needs to be REPROGRAMMED....if the x-former basically "melts", then it AND the battery have to be replaced....you might wanna try and have at least an IDEA of what you're talking about before you call bullshit on the suject....

Reply to
bdebj2

Don't get upset bdebj2. Snidely has a comment on everything, right, wrong or indifferent. He must of been told to shut his mouth so many times as a youngster that it has affected his adult social skills. When you catch him on enough of his own BS, to show OP that when he opens his mouth nothing of importance comes out, accept the world according to the legend he has built in his own mind, he will put you on ignore like he has done to me. He took his ball and went home. Oh well, Kicks and Giggles whiles it lasted.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

I tried to fix the problem WHILE talking on the phone to a representative of Brinks. She told me to:

• Disconnect the power adapter
  • Disconnect the battery
  • Disconnect the phone jack

and do it back again. That didn't work, that's why they are sending somebody to fix it.

I'm trying to find where the problem is,either the battery is completely drained or the power adapter is not working. I'll try to fix it if possible because I want to keep my house monitored in case of a fire or break-ins, that's why I'm paying for! Well, I won't pay a dime until they fix the problem.

Reply to
Kab

They won't charge me for the 1st hour

Reply to
Kab

There is no power in the KP. I think it's the battery or the transformer.

Maybe it will take an hour. It takes a month to get an appointment on saturdays, when I can be at home, not that it will take a month to fix the problem, sorry for the confusion.

Reply to
Kab

If it is a problem inherent with their panel, as described in an earlier post in this thread, why are they charging you at all? It shouldn't take longer an hour however and I do know they download the programming.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

No, I realize that. I just know, having done installation/service for Brinks in the past, that when a tech was on site, they would set up the panel, call in with the code word for the day/week, and the panel was then downloaded. Than they would have the tech, or if it was a new construction install, have the client, which ever the case my be, send signals.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

the problem is either the x-former, or it needs to be reprogrammed....if you still get a beep from the kp when you push a button, then it needs to be reprogrammed...if there is no beep, look at the x-former...if it is "melted" on the sides and a little discolored, then the x-former and battery need to be replaced.....either way, it's an easy fix, but with all of the systems that were knocked out, it may take a day or two to get to it..not a month...if they are still telling you that it will be that long, you need to call and raise hell, because that's unacceptable....

Reply to
bdebj2

no one seems to want to take responsibility for the problem... the manufacturer of the x-former says it's a problem with the electric co. brinks says it's a problem with the x-former... there will be no charge (1)because brinks will not charge for a "disaster" (2) it won't take longer than an hour....the reason they say the first hour is free is just incase there is flooding in the house or some other kind of home damage where wires would have to be re-ran, or equipment moved, brinks is not stuck hiolding the bill for a 4 hour remodel.....

no, brinks does not download the programming on a regular basis.... if the system is non op, there is nothing they can do...at all...the most common form of them downloading any kind of programming is to either change a master code, or to disable the system for a cust who is moving... it is impossible for them to download the entire configuration if the system is not up and running...

Reply to
bdebj2

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.