How Many Years Have You Been in the Industry?

I was thinking that your son might be interested. I know that I think it's really great fun to set these systems up. This is something the client really WANTS. It does take a lot of patience to teach them how to use the systems but you're getting paid by the hour to teach them.

By the way, as far as selling the equipment goes, I'm not going to get involved with that. I think it's better to stay free and clear of providing equipment for two reasons. One .... any popular brand that you might provide can be purchased on the Internet by the end user at your prices. Two, any "Dealer Only" available equipment will always remain YOURS. No matter what goes wrong with it or is "percieved" to be wrong with it, means that YOU're going out on service calls for a very subjective item. "My speakers don't sound basey enough." "My left rear speaker is too squawky" "My woofer isn't woofy enough." That's why I offer to go with them to by THEIR equipment. When it breaks, they can bring it back to Best Buy ...... themselves. You're out of the loop and out doing the next installation. It's really great to see the smiles when you do the demos too.

Reply to
Jim
Loading thread data ...

Good points !! Especially about staying out of the loop vis a vis warranty and service on the hardware. Sell the expertise that isn't so available and let the Best Buys and other retailers sell the hardware !!

RHC

Reply to
Robert Campbell

We've been doing this for years. Much more profit than with security except there's no RMR.

I sold one client 3 remote controls last month...1500 smackers...cost 600 the rest was programming labor. No way client can program these puppies...so its 75 bucks an hour to program Takes about 3 hours each remote.

I sold 2 Plasmas this month one went out the door for 10K the other 9K... there's not much profit there but you make it on the cables, the mount, programming, and installation.

| > Their website is

formatting link
if anyone is interested in seeing what | > they are up to..... | >

| > RHC | >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

We took a different approach. One of my techs had been designing and building high end, custom speaker systems for years as a sideline to installing security systems. He's also an accomplished musician. I also worked on FOH sound systems in various venues over the years so I had a working knowledge of audio system design, a basic understanding of acoustics, etc.

I started installing whole house audio when a few wealthy clients asked me to wire their homes for entertainment systems during construction. There was a decent margin to be made on parts and labor. We would suggest to the client several respected brands and models of receivers, projectors, etc. I would supply the speakers, cabling, volume controls, etc. Most of those early systems were single zone -- the same music would play in every room.

After a while we were also asked to do some home theater installations. I established relationships with Vidikron, Draper, Stewart Filmscreen and a few other manufacturers. Most clients bought their own RPTV's or projectors but we would supply as much as they wanted us to.

If the client didn't have his own builders we would hire a local builder and a cabinet maker to customize the space as desired. Mark on their materials and labor was 10-12% (about what some GC's were netting at the time).

I built a fairly nice HT system and installed a multi-zone audio system in my own home and used them as a demo when we weren't enjoying them ourselves. Entertainment systems were a small, but profitable part of my business for about 7 or 8 years until the stock market went sour, all but killing sales of optional, big ticket items.

When I built my first online store I decided to offer some whole house A/V systems as well as security, fire, access control, intercom and CCTV systems. That has always been and continues to be a fair portion of our online sales. We don't try to compete with big box stores for sales of source equipment, receivers, etc. Instead, I concentrate on multi-zone audio and video systems, in-wall and in-ceiling speaker systems, impedance matching volume controls and accessories.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

snip BS.

Please take your phony installation stories and shove them up your bASS.

Most legitimate security dealers scoff at you and your me too fables just like most manufacturers, distributors, and your ex wife.

Reply to
Roger

*** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com *** *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
formatting link
Reply to
mikey

I've been doing this for over 20 years...if I counted my NY sound/jobs/inventions/experience it'd be closer to 32.

I've also done my share of cabinet design too, but presently have no time for that so I work with a couple of good cabinet makers. The one we're doing now is birds-eye maple and cherry and will go out the door for about 26K to the buyer (I don't get any of that except for design consultation fees). This one's gonna be awesome. I will post a pix of it when we're done.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

That's one of the things about doing home theaters that you don't often get to say in security. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I do take pix of some systems I install..the cool ones in monsta houses. Eh...I lied I; also take pix of the really shitty take-overs before I redo them.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.