Hayes 1200 external

Anyone knows where to buy Hayes 1200 external modem?

tnx

Reply to
proguard
Loading thread data ...

Don't waste your time with the Hayes 1200. Buy the Ademco Compass CIA modem. Trust me, it works fine on just about everything.

Jim Rojas Technical Manuals Online!

formatting link
Cornwall Lane Tampa, FL 33615-4604

813-884-6335
Reply to
Jim Rojas

I've got a couple of the Hayes 1200s and they work pretty good. I do recall that there are two models (atleast). One has 8 dips and one has 10. The one with 10 worked on just about everything, but had different dip settings for DSC vs FBII. Mostly I use a Cardinal 2400 because it works better for Napco.

I've also got a DSC and a Silent Knight modem. They both are kinda wheezy and hiccuppy. I've got a DMP modem too, but I only ever used it one time.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

RHC: I've had good luck in local flea markets where there are usually boxes of computer junk to wade through. I actually bought 3 of the Cardinal MX2400 modems for $5 each, and they were still shrink wrapped in the original box, never having been opened.

What is junk for one person, is treasure for another....:))

Reply to
tourman

I used the Cardinal exclusively for many years, until the CIA modem came out. Now I keep it as a backup just in case.

formatting link

813-884-6335
Reply to
Jim Rojas

Hey guys, you just reminded me,

I've got an old Cardnel internal modem that I've been using for years. The problem is, it's in an old Gateway 350 computer that's beginning to hangup occasionally. I've never had to change the hard drive because I never used that computer for much of anything except downloading. When I upgraded to my next computer, the internal modem didn't have compatable connectors so that's why I left it in the old

350. I'm assuming that because it's an internal modem that there's no way to make it compatable with a computer a few generations apart. ( is that true?)

That leads me to ask ..... now, since newer computers only have USB ports, how do you get the old external Hayes and Cardnels to connect with the them.?

Also, I have to imagine that the newer modems offered by manufacturers come with USB connections ..... right?

I figure I'll probably have to get a mfg's modem soon so I'm not without comm capability, so I want to be sure it's going to be compatable with my next computer.

Reply to
Jim

USB to Serial Adapter will do the trick.

Reply to
ABLE1

I have 2 IBM A31P, 2Ghz, 2GB Ram, 120GB HD laptops I use only for downloading. It has a DB9 serial port, and 2 USB ports. The first is my downloader, the other is a spare.

I use Acronis True Image backup in case the hard drive fails. I have about 50 different programs loaded in that one laptop.

You can use a newer laptop with a Keyspan USA-19HS USB to serial adapter. But I have found that the older software won't see the USB, or don't like anything better the Windows XP.

I have heard you can use MS Virtual PC, but I don't like the idea of rebooting to a different operating system all the time.

formatting link

813-884-6335
Reply to
Jim Rojas

RHC: Yeah, all my panel software is on an older PC which by today's standards is a clunker. End of problem. If you don't have one, you can buy one for $100 just about anywhere (an old IBM returned from lease...)

Reply to
tourman

The IBM A31P is the fastest laptop you can buy with a serial port. It is a Pentium 4. I installed 2GB Ram. It had a large 15 inch screen. I have it set to 1200 resolution, even though it can do 1600. It's a nice machine for its age. Changing any parts on this machine is easy. I had to replace the keyboard once. That took 10 minutes.

formatting link

813-884-6335
Reply to
Jim Rojas

e:

Ok, thanks guys.

I'm just thinking that ..... isn't it kinda pitiful that we're all sitting in front of a computer on a nice Sunday afternoon?

Bunch of old geezers.

Reply to
Jim

It's overcast here, and I am waiting to watch the big game in a little while...that's my excuse... :)

formatting link

813-884-6335
Reply to
Jim Rojas

A supplier of cards for those old ports, with download driver for even 9X to win 7 machines..

formatting link

Hey guys, you just reminded me,

I've got an old Cardnel internal modem that I've been using for years. The problem is, it's in an old Gateway 350 computer that's beginning to hangup occasionally. I've never had to change the hard drive because I never used that computer for much of anything except downloading. When I upgraded to my next computer, the internal modem didn't have compatable connectors so that's why I left it in the old

350. I'm assuming that because it's an internal modem that there's no way to make it compatable with a computer a few generations apart. ( is that true?)

That leads me to ask ..... now, since newer computers only have USB ports, how do you get the old external Hayes and Cardnels to connect with the them.?

Also, I have to imagine that the newer modems offered by manufacturers come with USB connections ..... right?

I figure I'll probably have to get a mfg's modem soon so I'm not without comm capability, so I want to be sure it's going to be compatable with my next computer.

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

Ok, thanks guys.

I'm just thinking that ..... isn't it kinda pitiful that we're all sitting in front of a computer on a nice Sunday afternoon?

Bunch of old geezers.

don't know about you but it beats the hell out of climbing in an attic or under a floor, to me...

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

ote:

I have couple customers with the automated key card gas pumps and for the pumps to authorize transactions etc. they must use a 1200 baud modem so all those old modems I have collected over the years have come in handy. as this is only way pump systems work. crazy they have not upgraded this technology.

Reply to
nick markowitz

RHC: From there perspective, it likely only needs a low speed modem to send the limited information required. Why upgrade when the cost of doing so has no immediate benefit....

Reply to
tourman

Ebay

Reply to
mleuck

It might be a requirement, since the POTS lines are only guaranteed to go as high as 2400 baud.

I worked for an ISP in the mid 90's and I had many an argument with "Ma-Bell" over the quality of some of our client's lines. The above response was what was "on script".

So my next move was to have the customer call and say the "voice" quality is bad. Then they roll a truck, check the grounding and outside wiring, and install a new NID or service drop if needed.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.