Glass Laminate and Glass Breaks

Hey All,

Just curious. How effective is have a Glass Break Detector with Patio Doors that have Security Laminate installed???

How will the Glass Break hear the right sounds or are we talking a whole new technology here.

The reason for asking is because I just caught the tail end of that TV show that shows all the bad guys how to best break into a house. (idiots)

Any how they pumped up the Bosch Security system and how great the Glass Breaks are going to work "especially" with the all the Laminate on the Glass Doors.

So are we talking something special or is it just a bunch of BS???

TIA

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1
Loading thread data ...

I saw that one...sales hype.

Some gbs (like IEI550) have dip switch settings for different types of glass, some don't so read the manual to see. I've never had problem picking up laminate glass. Glass actually tears btw.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Ok, maybe.

For what it is worth "Laminate Glass" with plastic between glass panes would be different than "Tempered Glass" with a Plastic Sheet Coating stuck on top would it not??

Still seems to be a bit of BS.

I have always had a bit of a problem with Glass Break Detectors since the only true test would be to pick up a rock or brick and throw it thru the window. I would if the customer would pay for the repairs.

Simulators are just that SIMULATORS. Just my personal opinion.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

Intellisense says their detectors will work with security window films.. According to the instructions, they even had UL conduct tests with one type of film to confirm this.

Most of the time, glass doors will either be tempered glass or, rarely, laminated glass. That alone will meet the safety requirements of building codes. Security window films will, in some areas, allow very old doors made of ordinary plate glass to meet code. And the films provide a little reinforcing for tempered glass, but this depends on how it is installed. The window film might also just be there for tinting, or UV protection, and might not be a true security film.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

That's true and I've gotten into several arguments with "techie" clients...glass jar with broken glass seems to quell that. I've probably a few thousand out there and they work because I've had many attempted break ins...it's also why I stick to only a few models since I know how they behave.

IEI-510-550s Sentrols FG-730

Every install I do has at least one GB.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Don't get me wrong I have used them as well just not a lot. And the models you listed. I just don't think I have the greatest confidence that you may have.

It may have something to do with the Love Birds in the Pets Store causing false alarms a number of years ago. I guess I never quite got over that...........................................

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

I know ..... I know .... (sniff) ..... Love can do that to a person.

Reply to
Jim

Live and lern right?!

I once installed a gb right above a grandfather clock...wasn't thinking that day !!

Reply to
Crash Gordon

UL didn't test them.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I quote from the FG-1625 instructions:

"Coated glass with security films up to 0.3 mm (12 mil thick), including films for solar protection, may be used. Film Technologies International, Inc.'s GLASS GARD GGLL-1200 has been evaluated with this product by Underwriters Laboratories, Inc. at Honeywell's request."

- badenov

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

hahahaha. modicum of knowledge.

Reply to
Norton Nescio

tell smellchecker bAss that it's the other UL, not the one he belongs to 'Underwear Lickers'. since I have him blocked.

Reply to
Beeno

UL did not test them.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

[ This is where the quoted proof was snipped by Bass the murderer ]

Go back and read the part you snipped, liar.

Reply to
G. Morgan

"Cracker Morgan" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com drooled:

Really?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.