Window Foil vs. Glass Breaks

Aside from the labor costs of putting up window foil, is there any advantage to it over glass break sensors and window bugs? I am guessing that the window foil went out as glass breaks gained a solid reputation.

Reply to
SecurityNovice
Loading thread data ...

Window foil is dead because:

.5> The labor time involved (you knew that)

1> No one knows how to do it anymore ( Badenov and Jim have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel ;-))) 2> It gets torn often during the day by some bratty kid so: a> can not be fixed in a timely manner (see "1") b> Causes the 'ready' light to go out c> your techs are pissed to go on a service call @ 6:00 PM because the store can't arm. 3> A glassbreak detector backed up by a motion works better.
Reply to
G. Morgan

I have found the huge store fronts with carpeted floors & lots of clothing racks tend to make most glassbreaks useless. I would have to install a glassbreak detector every 20 feet for effective coverage. That can easily be

10+ glassbreaks just out front.

I prefer the Amseco GC20 piezo electric shock detectors, mounted half way up the windows. And a few 360 degree ceiling mount motions to be much more effective protection.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

That is usually the route i take as well. However you have to be careful of doing shock sensors near the car audio section :)

Reply to
Tommy

That is their effective range (minus 5 feet).

Reply to
G. Morgan

We have had cases of glassbreaks 10 ft high within 15 feet of the glassbreak not going off.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

That is the problem with those things, no real world test.

I have had to dance around with clients regarding the big question: "How do I test it?"

The short answer is: " You would have to break the glass".

The long answer is: " I have a glassbreak simulator provided by the manufacturer that can simulate the initial "thug" followed by the "shattering sound" (insert poorly made simulation by mouth)" And all that has to occur within a certain millisecond range, because it's dual-tech and that's much better sir--- because the old one falsed by sneezing and clapping and... this one is much better"

Customer: "How do I know it works?"

Me: "It just does"

This will be interesting. ..

Reply to
G. Morgan

Ask them how they test the air bag in the car.

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

Window foil is comimg back.

formatting link

Reply to
Group-Moderator

You meant to say "Window foil is coming out of my garage and onto my crappy website. I am the last person in existence to think that window foil is a viable 21st Century detection device."

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

If you want guaranteed, 100% assurance of a detection, window foil is hard to beat. It's just time consuming to install and maintain. Houses I have with foil are like annuity policies. They clean and I repair!

Reply to
Allan Waghalter

In a good system, glassbreak detectors should not be the only form of perimeter protection. Wired screens, photobeams, even the lowly plunger contact should be used to supplement whenever possible.

Every system should have some interior traps as well, be it passive IR, under floor mats, interior doors wired, or ultrasonic or microwave detectors.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

That is the reason I asked.. Came upon the window foil site a few weeks ago and thought I was the only one missing the boat on the foil... I have to say every so often I come upon a window that is close to a work of art... I could only imagine the time it took to do it.. Thanks everyone!

Reply to
SecurityNovice

That's a good come back! I'll have to borrow that one.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I'm I still in html? no, weehoo it's gone

Doug's a quick witted fellow fer sure but this doesn't quite cut it. Users can "test" their alarm.

That's a good come back! I'll have to borrow that one.

Reply to
mikey

How do they test the glassbreak dets.?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Poke her in the ribs and see if she complains?

Reply to
Jim

A glass jar with broken glass in it...then smash it against the window.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.