Fushion DVR

So I am trying to price out a Fusion DVR for a customer with an existing Honeywell access control connection. I am going through the pricing and find SKU for the Pentium D dual core and 512 MB upgrade. What a bargain! $1500.00 to have it installed at the factory and $2k to install it aftermarket on your own. This is the retail pricing of course. I get so sick of DVR manufacturers pricing stuff like this (and hard drives especially) with beyond ridiculous markups. These manufacturers have to know this stupid pricing limits their market. I had one Honeywell engineer remark that sales of the Fusion and Rapid Eye DVRs were "brisk" at more than a hundred units a month. The over the counter boys have a different take. At ADI they say they've never even seen one, let alone sold one. Well I thought I'd try Anixter or Northern Video to check their pricing. Not so fast, Honeywell Video sells direct or through ADI only. I always considered an AD Intellex Ultra about the highest priced box DVR around. Seems like a pumped up Fusion could give them a run for their money.

Reply to
Just Looking
Loading thread data ...

I googled Fusion DVR from Honeywell. From what I have read, it appears to run a Windows O/S. I think this is fine for browsing the Internet but I am surprised it is being used for security applications considering the less than stellar reputaion for stability and security of the MS Windows O/S. Do these Fusion DVRs have an established customer base and good track record?

thanks

Reply to
Ned

Please Google Microsoft Windows XP Embedded. You'll notice links like this one:

formatting link
Windows XP Embedded is a stable OS that many DVRs use successfully (as well as gaming machines in Vegas). I have never had an issue with an XP Embedded system. There are DVRs that use another type of OS. Linux (like March networks or Dallmeier) or UNIX (like Rapid Eye) or their own OS (like Dedicated Micros).

thanks

Reply to
Just Looking

You raise a valid point, Ned. These DVR's do indeed run Windows (specifically embedded XP). However, they are not in the same category as a PC running XP online. For one thing, there is no facility for installing games or other software. They don't receive email either. Because they don't *browse* the Internet they're much less susceptible to viruses and other nasty things than your desktop PC might be.

We sell quite a few Honeywell DVR's and to date none have needed warranty service at all. I think you'll find their performance and reliability to be as good as and sometimes better than most other makes in the price range.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yea those counter boys know everything don't they? I hate to break it to you but ADI isn't the only outlet for Fusion DVR's

Nice DVR btw

Reply to
Mark Leuck

thanks

Ours havn't crashed in 5 years. Just because it's Windows-based doesn't mean it will constantly blue screen

Reply to
Mark Leuck

haven't seen a bsod in years

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Me either

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Here's information and prices on the Honeywell Fusion DVR's from my website. The prices are for end user purchasers.

formatting link

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record

The BBB processed a total of 30 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period.Of the total of 30 complaints closed in

36 months, 7 were closed in the last year.
Reply to
G. Morgan

The Honeywell Winpak PE, DVR, and Vista integration is pretty slick as well. For end users with multiple sites and centralized management, it gives them a whole lot of flexibility in managing access, IDS, and video across the network and the pricing is decent as well. Btw, the Intellex Ultra is pricey, but there are some Integral boxes out there that make them look cheap.

Reply to
J.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.