Pelco Spectra Domes

Ok, I have a bunch of Spectra Dome cameras installed. Mostly outdoors, but a few indoors. All but a very few are in outdoor environmental pendants.

The RS422 seems to be the first thing to fail, but I have been having various samera issues on most sites starting at 2-3 years after installation.

I would like to get some feedback on longevity of cameras for outdoor application with either the environmental vs the presurized dome. All would be outdoor pendant applications.

We got many guys here with much Pelco Spectra Dome experience? I already called Pelco, and they really could not answer me.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Roland

Who is Crocket?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Davey?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I don't remember in what part of the continent you are,but here,we used both pelco and Panasonic dome inside and outside,(in am in Quebec if you don't remember ;-) ) and we don't have much trouble with either of the 2 brand,but cant tell you anything about the rs422 stuff cause we use over the coax control...

Just a question,why do you use the serial control interface rather then the coaxitron stuff? we always match our dome to the dvr/matrix of the same brand,so we keep everything compatible all the time...

"Bob La Londe" a écrit dans le message de news:

45957d74$0$18604$ snipped-for-privacy@free.teranews.com...
Reply to
Petem

I've installed a few of these outdoors... serviced several others, and replaced one that was knocked down by a truck. Haven't yet run into one that actually had a failure in the data connection (well, except one that the cable yanked loose from the DVR because the installer had made it too short).

I HAVE seen problems with the contacts where the camera body attaches to the base, and I've been told this is a known design defect in certain Spectra models (something to do with the vibrations of the PTZ motors leading to failing connections, don't recall the details, might wanna ask Pelco about that).

If it looks like there may be corrosion problems where the data wires connect, try stripping them back, cleaning up the terminals, and then reconnecting everything with the help of a little dielectric grease (the stuff auto-parts stores sell for battery terminals and under-hood connectors). Works great to keep the moisture away from the connections (as it's designed to do).

Reply to
Matt Ion

You know the guy... leather jacket... coonskin cap... goes around killin' him b'ars. Nice feller.

Crash Gord> Davey?

Reply to
Matt Ion

The Sepctra Domes can not manage programmable patrol patterns with coaxitron controls. Only with the serial control.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

formatting link
Crockett is the Pelco Factory Rep for our area. Probably not for yours, but I bet Crockett knows who is (and you should too). Crockett is a nice guy, I am sure he (or his staff) would help you to get pointed in the right direction to get the answers you need.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Tubbs' partner. js

Reply to
alarman

Are you sure about that?

will need to check that...\\

4595f3da$0$18614$ snipped-for-privacy@free.teranews.com...
Reply to
Petem

Well, I am running them off Dedicated Micros Recrorders with KBS3 or KBS3A keyboards, and they work fine in either mode, but when you hit Patrol when its in coaxitron mode it just makes a random back and forth patrol at the same angle and FOV its set at. In RS422 mode it can be programemd for a custom patrol pattern.

Please check it out. If there is a way for full control with Coaxitron especially with those recorders that would be great.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

If I am not crazy,that has to be configured in the dome itself

I think I has to do with a choice of pan and tilde vs. patrol when the pan command is sent..

459673cf$0$18603$ snipped-for-privacy@free.teranews.com...
Reply to
Petem

Huh?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

You know, pan and "~". This idiot claims to be a CCTV installer?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I don't know why but my corrector took tilt and change it to tilde...

strange...

4597db5c$0$18696$ snipped-for-privacy@free.teranews.com...
Reply to
Petem

"Roland Moore" a écrit dans le message de news:

4597f7a1$0$16978$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com...

at least I think...cant say the same of you...

Reply to
Petem

Petem thinks he speaks English. I think he should post in French instead and then everyone could take their chances with Google Translator. If it wasn't more accurate that way, at least it would probably be more entertaining. I think Petem was trying to explain a hyper technical issue about how the DM unit talks to PTZ heads using different communications protocols (like 485 versus 232 versus up the coax). Some (most) PTZ domes can store a tour and/or presets internally versus the DVR giving the commands continuously. DM has two different ways of doing this and each method is only supported by one type of protocol or another on certain PTZ dome & DVR combinations. I don't mean to say anything bad about DM, but it is not my favorite unit out there that's for certain. Pelco is known for its great customer support. I don't know this first hand because I don't use Pelco products. I feel almost guilty saying that since the Pelco rep is so nice and always comes around and gives us more free shirts, hats, tools and such than the guys we actually buy a lot stuff from do. I can say one advantage using a single manufacturer end to end avoids some of those issues you mention having problems with. If you have not looked at a DiBos version 8 and an Envirodome combo lately you might want to check them out again. The feature set is hard to beat. You don't have to be a BCSD to get the Bosch video line. Anixter and even ADI carries almost the whole Bosch CCTV line. About the only thing you can't get is a few BVIP items, but that applies to BCSDs also. You have to get BVIP training to get the full product line and its tough to get an open slot sometimes.

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:4597db5c$0$18696$ snipped-for-privacy@free.teranews.com...

Reply to
Roland Moore

"Roland Moore" a écrit dans le message de news:

4598041b$0$16959$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com...

Yup and you follow the second part of the saying like a follower of David Quresh...

Reply to
Petem

Quoting the wisdom of an old African-American saying: "Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits".

I the meantime don't hurt youself thinking too much. We all get worried about you when we hear that single neuron sparking up in your brain and see the synapse firing over your head like an old Jacob's ladder. I bet it is a great bug zapper though.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.