PTZ info

On another CCTV job coming up, client is asking for PTZ camera. Last time I installed a PTZ camera ( many years ago) I needed multiple conductor cabl e and a controller to operate the PTZ. From what I can see now it's done th rough RS232 connection. I'd appreciate any information anyone has on how PT Z works nowdays. Two or four wire connection?

What is the power source ..... same as the camera I presume.Do you need lar ger conductors for power because of the additional power requirements of th e PTZ?

What about control from the DVR locally and remotely via IPhone through the DVR? Are there different signal/format protocols? For instance, will one m anufacturers PTZ camera work with any other manufacturers DVR or are is the re no standard and you have to match DVR's and PTZ's ??

If using baluns can a single Cat5 handle video, power and PTZ? I'm sure t here are distance limitation also but nothing over 150 feet in this job.

Anyone have any experience with "newer" PTZ?

Thanks.

Reply to
Jim
Loading thread data ...

installed a PTZ camera ( many years ago) I needed multiple conductor cable and a controller to operate the PTZ. From what I can see now it's done through RS232 connection. I'd appreciate any information anyone has on how PTZ works nowdays.

conductors for power because of the additional power requirements of the PTZ?

DVR? Are there different signal/format protocols? For instance, will one manufacturers PTZ camera work with any other manufacturers DVR or are is there no standard and you have to match DVR's and PTZ's ??

there are distance limitation also but nothing over 150 feet in this job.

Our Company has been installing IP PTZ's. I don't have a whole lot of contact with them as I am pretty much pigeon holed into fire alarms.

One my boss showed me had the fastest movement I have ever seen - I was pretty impressed.

Being IP - they are controlled from a computer.

I'll see if I can rustle up some info.

I think they're POE (Power Over Ethernet) so the only wire you have to run is a Cat-5E.

I'm not a hundred percent certain the PTZ's are POE but I think they are.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

On Monday, March 25, 2013 11:12:18 PM UTC-4, JoeRaisin wrote: Our Company has been installing IP PTZ's. I don't have a whole lot of conta ct with them as I am pretty much pigeon holed into fire alarms. One my boss showed me had the fastest movement I have ever seen - I was pretty impress ed. Being IP - they are controlled from a computer. I'll see if I can rustl e up some info. I think they're POE (Power Over Ethernet) so the only wire you have to run is a Cat-5E. I'm not a hundred percent certain the PTZ's ar e POE but I think they are.

I still haven't been able to convince myself that I can sell a customer on the fact that they have to pay for a "IP license" just to use a CCTV camera . I'm guessing that larger companies would take the IP license in stride bu t the small commercial and residential jobs that I do .... I don't think th e client would go for it.

I'm beginning to do a little research on digital and HD cameras though. I'm noticing that the CCTV distributors seem to be purposely making it very di fficult to differentiate between IP camers, Digital cameras and HD cameras. With some of these companies you never know if they're using the terms int erchageably or not. I had an experience with the sales person with one on-l ine seller over the telephone who thought that there wasn't any difference between an IP camera and a Digital camera and was advertising one as the ot her. He "thought" that if it was Digital it was also IP, had no idea that y ou needed a license and I'm not too sure that he knew that you needed a NVR . Scary!!!!

Reply to
Jim

I pretty much use the Pelco Spectra Domes, but many are similar. They use either RS-RS 422 over a single twisted pair for control, or in some cases (like Spectra Dome) they can have control over the same coax as the video.

Also, it depends on what you are integrating it with. I use mostly Dedicated Micros DVRs and they integrate nicely with Spectra Dome cameras and have full control capability over twisted pair locally and by remote, and 95% control over coaxitron.

Client software and web interface both give access to PTZ controls, but PTZ control for this pair does not seem to be fully integrated in most of the smart phone aps except one that is server subscription based. I have not fully tested the newest ap from DM as Robert Chou's Ip Cam Viewer Lite will access DM and other brands of DVR, NVR, and IP camera making it more flexible for many of my customers.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

On Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:35:50 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com... > On another CCTV job coming up, client is asking f or PTZ camera. Last time > I installed a PTZ camera ( many years ago) I nee ded multiple conductor > cable and a controller to operate the PTZ. From wh at I can see now it's > done through RS232 connection. I'd appreciate any i nformation anyone has > on how PTZ works nowdays. > Two or four wire connec tion? > > What is the power source ..... same as the camera I presume.Do yo u need > larger conductors for power because of the additional power requir ements > of the PTZ? > > What about control from the DVR locally and remote ly via IPhone through > the DVR? Are there different signal/format protocol s? For instance, will > one manufacturers PTZ camera work with any other ma nufacturers DVR or are > is there no standard and you have to match DVR's a nd PTZ's ?? > > If using baluns can a single Cat5 handle video, power and P TZ? I'm sure > there are distance limitation also but nothing over 150 feet in this job. > > Anyone have any experience with "newer" PTZ? > > Thanks. I pretty much use the Pelco Spectra Domes, but many are similar. They use e ither RS-RS 422 over a single twisted pair for control, or in some cases (l ike Spectra Dome) they can have control over the same coax as the video. Al so, it depends on what you are integrating it with. I use mostly Dedicated Micros DVRs and they integrate nicely with Spectra Dome cameras and have fu ll control capability over twisted pair locally and by remote, and 95% cont rol over coaxitron. Client software and web interface both give access to P TZ controls, but PTZ control for this pair does not seem to be fully integr ated in most of the smart phone aps except one that is server subscription based. I have not fully tested the newest ap from DM as Robert Chou's Ip Ca m Viewer Lite will access DM and other brands of DVR, NVR, and IP camera ma king it more flexible for many of my customers. -- Bob La Londe The Securit y Consultant

I use Speco DVR's but pick and choose my cameras depending upon the applica tion. I've found Speco DVR's to be quite hardy. Some out there for over 5ye ars without even a hard drive change. I have yet to ask Speco about their P TZ protocol but thought I'd pass it through here first to gain a little ins ight about the subject before I talk to them.

Reply to
Jim

Just about everybody supports Pelco-P protocol with their DVRs. The biggest problem is actual Pelco PTZs are pretty expensive.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

On Wednesday, March 27, 2013 3:34:30 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

a12... > On Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:35:50 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote: >

b1b1b5 On >> another CCTV job coming up, client is asking for PTZ camera. L ast time > >> I installed a PTZ camera ( many years ago) I needed multiple conductor > >> cable and a controller to operate the PTZ. From what I can s ee now it's > >> done through RS232 connection. I'd appreciate any informat ion anyone has >> > on how PTZ works nowdays. > Two or four wire connection ? > > What is >> the power source ..... same as the camera I presume.Do you need > larger >> conductors for power because of the additional power requ irements > of >> the PTZ? > > What about control from the DVR locally and r emotely via >> IPhone through > the DVR? Are there different signal/format protocols? >> For instance, will > one manufacturers PTZ camera work with a ny other >> manufacturers DVR or are > is there no standard and you have to match >> DVR's and PTZ's ?? > > If using baluns can a single Cat5 handle v ideo, >> power and PTZ? I'm sure > there are distance limitation also but n othing >> over 150 feet in this job. > > Anyone have any experience with "n ewer" >> PTZ? > > Thanks. I pretty much use the Pelco Spectra Domes, but ma ny are >> similar. They use either RS-RS 422 over a single twisted pair for >> control, or in some cases (like Spectra Dome) they can have control ove r >> the same coax as the video. Also, it depends on what you are integrati ng >> it with. I use mostly Dedicated Micros DVRs and they integrate nicely >> with Spectra Dome cameras and have full control capability over twisted >> pair locally and by remote, and 95% control over coaxitron. Client >> s oftware and web interface both give access to PTZ controls, but PTZ >> cont rol for this pair does not seem to be fully integrated in most of the >> sm art phone aps except one that is server subscription based. I have not >> f ully tested the newest ap from DM as Robert Chou's Ip Cam Viewer Lite >> wi ll access DM and other brands of DVR, NVR, and IP camera making it more >> flexible for many of my customers. -- Bob La Londe The Security >> Consulta nt > > > I use Speco DVR's but pick and choose my cameras depending upon th e > application. I've found Speco DVR's to be quite hardy. Some out there f or > over 5years without even a hard drive change. I have yet to ask Speco

gain a little insight about the subject before I talk to them.

Just about everybody supports Pelco-P protocol with their DVRs. The biggest problem is actual Pelco PTZs are pretty expensive.

As I say, I haven't talked to Speco yet but since they mfg/supply/import th eir own brand of equipment, I'm sure (at least) that they have PTZ cams tha t are compatable with their DVR's. Just not sure if they've gone and made i t exclusive so that you only have a choice between buying one expensive cam era or another expensive camera.

We'll see. I'll post what I find out.

Reply to
Jim

with them as I am pretty much pigeon holed into fire alarms. One my boss showed me had the fastest movement I have ever seen - I was pretty impressed. Being IP

- they are controlled from a computer. I'll see if I can rustle up some info. I think they're POE (Power Over Ethernet) so the only wire you have to run is a Cat-5E. I'm not a hundred percent certain the PTZ's are POE but I think they are.

fact that they have to pay for a "IP license" just to use a CCTV camera. I'm guessing that larger companies would take the IP license in stride but the small commercial and residential jobs that I do .... I don't think the client would go for it.

The cameras we use are GEN IV. If they do need licenses it's included with the NVR and software. We have never had to buy a separate license for the cameras.

I was out yesterday helping out (Boss has been trying to get me out on some camera stuff to get me trained up) with a 20 cam, 2 NVR system at a self storage place. The pictures blew any analog camera I've seen right out of the water. The cameras feed a wireless transmitter/receiver on each building which talks to a transmitter/receiver on the office.

The head end is hidden in the garage and feeds the 50 inch flat screen monitor in the office via another wireless link.

Using a remote from the desk, the view can be switched from one NVR to the other. then he uses a wireless mouse to move about the screen. 10 cams on each NVR.

We were there to install a software update that would allow the owner to watch the cameras using the latest smartphone app. That took about fifteen minutes.

The manager wanted the order of the views changed and we had to move about 2/3 of them. Took less than five minutes and it was all done through software. clickety, clickety, click... I never even saw the backs of the NVR's.

noticing that the CCTV distributors seem to be purposely making it very difficult to differentiate between IP camers, Digital cameras and HD cameras. With some of these companies you never know if they're using the terms interchageably or not. I had an experience with the sales person with one on-line seller over the telephone who thought that there wasn't any difference between an IP camera and a Digital camera and was advertising one as the other. He "thought" that if it was Digital it was also IP, had no idea that you needed a license and I'm not too sure that he knew that you needed a NVR. Scary!!!!

>
Reply to
JoeRaisin

Joe,

Care to share the mfg and model of the equipment you were using?? Or are you still getting 'trained up'???

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

On Friday, March 29, 2013 6:17:40 AM UTC-4, JoeRaisin wrote:

UTC-4, JoeRaisin wrote: > Our Company has been installing IP PTZ's. I don' t have a whole lot of contact with them as I am pretty much pigeon holed in to fire alarms. One my boss showed me had the fastest movement I have ever seen - I was pretty impressed. Being IP - they are controlled from a comput er. I'll see if I can rustle up some info. I think they're POE (Power Over Ethernet) so the only wire you have to run is a Cat-5E. I'm not a hundred p ercent certain the PTZ's are POE but I think they are. > > I still haven't been able to convince myself that I can sell a customer on the fact that th ey have to pay for a "IP license" just to use a CCTV camera. I'm guessing t hat larger companies would take the IP license in stride but the small comm ercial and residential jobs that I do .... I don't think the client would g o for it. > The cameras we use are GEN IV. If they do need licenses it's in cluded with the NVR and software. We have never had to buy a separate licen se for the cameras. I was out yesterday helping out (Boss has been trying t o get me out on some camera stuff to get me trained up) with a 20 cam, 2 NV R system at a self storage place. The pictures blew any analog camera I've seen right out of the water. The cameras feed a wireless transmitter/receiv er on each building which talks to a transmitter/receiver on the office. Th e head end is hidden in the garage and feeds the 50 inch flat screen monito r in the office via another wireless link. Using a remote from the desk, th e view can be switched from one NVR to the other. then he uses a wireless m ouse to move about the screen. 10 cams on each NVR. We were there to instal l a software update that would allow the owner to watch the cameras using t he latest smartphone app. That took about fifteen minutes. The manager want ed the order of the views changed and we had to move about 2/3 of them. Too k less than five minutes and it was all done through software. clickety, cl ickety, click... I never even saw the backs of the NVR's.

A .... *** TEN *** .... camera NVR????

Reply to
Jim

On 3/29/2013 6:05 PM, Jim wrote:

UTC-4, JoeRaisin wrote: > Our Company has been installing IP PTZ's. I don't have a whole lot of contact with them as I am pretty much pigeon holed into fire alarms. One my boss showed me had the fastest movement I have ever seen - I was pretty impressed. Being IP - they are controlled from a computer. I'll see if I can rustle up some info. I think they're POE (Power Over Ethernet) so the only wire you have to run is a Cat-5E. I'm not a hundred percent certain the PTZ's are POE but I think they are. > > I still haven't been able to convince myself that I can sell a customer on the fact that they have to pay for a "IP license" just to use a CCTV camera. I'm guessing that larger companies would take the IP license in stride but the small commercial and residential jobs that I do .... I don't think the client would go for it. > The cameras we use are GEN IV. If they do need licenses it's included with the NVR a nd software. We have never had to buy a separate license for the cameras. I was out yesterday helping out (Boss has been trying to get me out on some camera stuff to get me trained up) with a 20 cam, 2 NVR system at a self storage place. The pictures blew any analog camera I've seen right out of the water. The cameras feed a wireless transmitter/receiver on each building which talks to a transmitter/receiver on the office. The head end is hidden in the garage and feeds the 50 inch flat screen monitor in the office via another wireless link. Using a remote from the desk, the view can be switched from one NVR to the other. then he uses a wireless mouse to move about the screen. 10 cams on each NVR. We were there to install a software update that would allow the owner to watch the cameras using the latest smartphone app. That took about fifteen minutes. The manager wanted the order of the views changed and we had to move about 2/3 of them. Took less than five minutes and it was all done through software. clickety, clickety, click... I never even saw the backs of the NVR's.

LOL - Two 16's.

They aren't perfect and if you fill up all 16 you can't do better that

720 picture. Not HD enough for Brett...

Since he needed two NVR's anyway, he just split them up evenly.

Coolest thing was the remote the manager had would switch the monitor between the feed from nvr 1 and nvr 2. but you could have a view from an nvr1 cam up on screen from nvr 2. It's all software.

So we were able to move the images around just the way the manager wanted them and never had to move a single connection.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

The actual makes and models? hell I don't know. Couple different ones that I've installed and I don't remember.

formatting link
is the guy we get them from. The brick and mortar shop is in the town I live in and Jason is a good guy who really knows his shit.

If you contact him, tell him Brett from Lakeshore referred you and he might give you a deal.

BY the way, I installed a Vista20IP yesterday and had the new gray Honeywell keypad.

They finally made a keypad that doesn't look like shit...

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Thanks for the input.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.