Cannot active program mode on Napco MA3000 ...

Hello all,

We just bought a home with this system already installed. I decided to make a few changes such as correcting the time and changing the user code. However, for some reason the keypad display would go back to SYSTEM READY as soon as I press the [on/off] buton when ACTIVE PROGRAM is displayed. I've read the manual many times and could not find any info to explain this. Anyone know what's the problem is?

Thanks!

DYZ

Reply to
dyz
Loading thread data ...

User error

Reply to
Mark Leuck

A "home" with a Napco 3000? How old is this system? Using a Napco MA3000 over a GEM9600 or GEMX255 for a residence makes little sense. Read page 18 of the manual on the link below.

formatting link

Reply to
Just Looking

Not sure about the age of the system, I know the previous owner built the detached garage about 15 years ago and ran some sort of home business in there. I guess the system was installed then in order to provide two zone protection.

The system works just fine other than not allowing me going into the program mode. I followed exactly what the manual says about entering program mode, but it simply does not work. This is what I've being doing when trying to enter program mode: 1) enter master code then press [function] button; 2) press [bypass] button repeatedly; 3) when "ACTIVE PROGRAM" is displayed, press [on/off] button

The display immediately goes back to SYSTEM READY after 3). Is this a sign that the system is locking me out?

Thanks!

DYZ

Reply to
dyz

The code you have is NOT authorized to access User or Installer level programming.......... Napco panels can be programmed to Not Allow the user to make any changes.......... Call the installing company for assistance...

Russ

Reply to
Russell Brill

It scares me to think if you have this much trouble what you'd do if you actually did get into programming

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I'm using the code that is printed on a label in the panel. It says "Master Security Code". Are you saying this code is no good for programming? However, if I enter some random code and then press [function] I would get an error saying "Invalid ID Entry". That seems to imply that this master code is good. Is there a way to reboot the system? I'll see if I can find out who installed the system.

Thanks!

dyz

"Russell Brill" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Reply to
Your name

That's probably be the code that you need for dealer level programming. Do you have the manual? If not contact me and I'll send it to you.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

There are two levels of programming for the MA-3000 panel. To access user level programming, you need a level 3 user code -- not the master (dealer level) code. If the code you have is the dealer code (the one printed on a label inside the panel, it's not the one you need. However, you can get into the dealer programming area through that code to edit anything in the panel.

Be cautious programming the dealer area. There are a few gotcha's in there. Napco panels are easier to program using the (free) Napco software and a simple (cheap but not free) interface called a PCI-MINI. The dongle connects between a serial port on your PC and the J3 jack on the lower right portion of the MA-3000 board. If you already have the PCI-MINI, contact me and I'll give you the software. If you need it, ask and I'll get it for you.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Thanks for the offer. I do have the manual. One thing I noticed is that, after entering the master code and pressing the [function] button, I can only reach the "ACTIVATE PROGRAM" display by further pressing the [function] button repeatedly; in other words, pressing [bypass] button repeatedly won't led me to the "ACTIVATE PROGRAM" display! I initially thought both buttons should reach "ACTIVATE PROGRAM". I wonder this maybe a hint.

dyz

Reply to
dyz

Probably not. It's been a while since I programmed an MA-3000 but ISTR you had to start with [Function] and then the [Function] and [Bypass] keys could be used to scroll forward and back through the menus.

As to the other gentleman's comment about locking you out, he's partly right. The dealer can put a "Dealer" programming code in which can then be changed. But the "master" code is burned into the chip by Napco. That code cannot be changed. Many alarm companies remove the label with the code so the purchaser cannot make changes without their help. It's a sleazy practice.

At any rate, if you have that code, please use the dealer programming method to find and/or change the user codes as needed. The procedure is different from entering user programming. If the code you have is not the "master" or if for any other reason it can't be made to work let me know and I'll get you a replacement master chip. It will have a new code which you (and not the alarm company) will have. Changing it does not erase the panel configuration. It just upgrades the OS to the current revision and gives you a new code. I don't recall the exact price but it's around $20-30. Hopefully you won't need it but if you do at least it's not much.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Thanks Robert. At the moment I don't want to go to the extreme of replacing the chip because, other than having its time off a few hours, the system works fine. I may pick up that PCI-mini adaptor listed on your web down the road.

dyz

Reply to
dyz

This should be exciting

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Do yourself a favor. Buy more than the PCI -Mini. Get a whole new system. The MA 3000 was only good for a cheap commercial job needing commercial fire and burglar alarm protection in one panel (where the AHJ allowed it). Napco keeps it around just as a place filler in their product line up where they are mostly blank when it comes to fire offerings. They don't push the MA3000. They don't even seem to like it (since it hasn't seen any version upgrades since the early 90's). The MA 3000 is irritating to program. It will be in a series of data blocks and then switch gears to an entirely different set of data blocks to continue programming the same zone features. That is just one of its little programming issues. Most folks pull out MA

3000s rather than install any these days.
Reply to
Just Looking

I'm pretty sure that I know why you can't get into programing but there isn't any sense in telling you, since you only have the dealer code. Trying to change the simple things you want to change via the dealer programing through the keypad, could cause you more problems than you have.

I'm surprised (not really) that the self proclaimed "Napco EXPERT" Death Breath Bass, can't figure it out. But ........... on the other hand, he's more interested in selling you something than he is trying to help you out. He runs an on line store and sells alarm parts to end users and in order to do that he occupies this Newsgroup that's supposed to be for alarm installers, and berates and ridicules alarm installation companies when people like you come around for help.

Beware who you deal with. This guy is a convicted felon, is responsible for someones death and has a reputation in Usenet that is totaly unbelievable. He's ruined this group and a few others over the years with his nasty and arrogant conduct.

If you think what I'm saying isn't true, just see if he denies anything that I've said.

Just watch your step in any dealings you might be considering with him.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.