Frank

They can only "do that" if they know about it. I'm a security

> professional. I take pride in what I do and the service I provide. I > have nothing against "DIY" or "DIY stores" (whether they're online or > not). However, when I perceive another individual that's in my industry > is skirting the law, I will take action. We have a responsibility to > the public we protect. You can continue to bury your head in the sand > or post "inanities". We each of us view things differently and I > respect that. Happy New Year, by the way.
Reply to
I brive a dus
Loading thread data ...

ROFL!!!

Reply to
Matt Ion

AFAIK none of the online "stores" listed on my website offer downloading software in contravention of the Manufacturer's EULA or Copyright. Anyone that does should be reported (and I'll be the first in line to do so). As for "unlocking boards", I've not needed that service (nor would I take advantage of it unless it was one of *our* boards). Since every system we sell has our unique downloading code, it's fairly simple to "unlock" a board that originated in our shop. It's time consuming to "play" with unlocking services, and the last locked board I encountered simply wound up in the garbage. I'm not "out there" trying to "swing customers" my way. We get a ton of referrals every year and some even respond to the flyers we routinely send out. Our contracts are all three year, include an excalation clause that's never been exercised, and I've not had one customer complaint. We've got a clean record with the BBB and Security Programs (BC Government Licensing Authority) and we aim to keep it there. Sure, we lose one or maybe two customers every year but in 100% of the such cases, they've either moved (and the new owners aren't interested in monitoring), or they've permanently closed their doors.

I've seen you post this at least ten times. I figure they'll let you across the border as long as you've got the white flag pinned to a hockey stick and you're wearing a Ranger's jersey. HNY to you too.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reply to
I brive a dus

I was also referring to what you call my "ASA" site. That's the one at

formatting link
The page you're referring to is
formatting link
Of the five (5) stores listed, only one is openly offering the downloading software but you have to go through a qualifying process to obtain it. I've just emailed them and requested some more information about this service. On cursory examination, though, none of the websites I list provide the kind of "service" Bass does. In fact, most of them have spent considerable time and effort to make their sites both easy to navigate and obtain help from. Their efforts are impressive (as are their records with the BBB). The only one I can't quite figure out is "DIYComponents".

Hey La Londe... Get off your duff and get that "FAQ" page back up. If you don't have the time, the stuff you posted there is far too valuable to leave "in limbo" and I'll be happy to publish it.

Oh, and Jim R. ... increase the font size on the parts links. Us old geezers have a hard time reading stuff that's less than a millimeter tall.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Strange but I found 2 of the stores offering downloading software and programming manuals.

formatting link
On top of that you have suggested Norco in this forum when asked to list online stores. Ralph provides download software. Poke around his message boards and you'll see what I mean.

I would expect that someone who (like me) dislikes programming software winding up in the hands of John Q Public would do a little more homework on the companies you refer. Spend half the time you do being a yenta about Bass' site working on your own site and you'll find you're just as guilty of plugging companies engaged in nefarious activity. Hell's bells one of them outdid Robert with the tube tops by selling Disney nonsense.

Bob LaLonde's link isn't going to work anytime soon since Bob swore off the DIY stuff a few years ago. That would tell me you don't check credentials very much so how reliable is your site, and how reliable is your advice?

You could have a tremendous resource for consumers if you'd take your head out of your ass and finish what you started way back when. Lazy f****ng canuck.

Frank Ols>

Reply to
I brive a dus

I have most of that old FAQ stuff in its original format for my own training in house training, but I no longer have any of it in HTML. I was going to try and resurrect DIYComponents as a forum / help site, but it fell under a serious dictionary attack on the mail server so I shut it down. Just did not have the time to track down the source of the attack.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWAAAHHHH HOW TRUE....TTA tom tells all.......

Reply to
Group-Moderator

I was actually going to resurrect the site this last year and just make it a forum help site, but somebody did a dictionary flood attack on the mail server and I just didn't have the time to track them down and shut them down.

As to swearing off the DIY stuff. I still have a few DIY clients who call me for parts from time to time. The DIY on-line format works. It was really starting to make some money, but it also takes a lot of time to support. Time I just did not have to take away from my contracting business.

I am in the process of building an office closer to home. Who knows. With the warehouse (literally) practically next door I might be able to do it again. I think if I do I'll stick mostly with stocking parts though.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

A "dictionary attack"?? Not just any "dictionary attack", but a "serious" one... Are we talking "Websters", "Houghton Mifflin"?? The paper-back versions? How thick a "dictionary" was used in the attack??

:-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

He doesn't offer it as a "free-for-all" service though. And how do you know they're offering it as a "download" on their sites? I can't find links anywhere.

I don't "refer" anyone. I list alternatives. :-)

Show me one that does what Bass does (provides copyrighted material for download).

Which one??

Far more reliable than "Groupie Muderators"...

Yeah, I know... I'm workin' on it...

Reply to
Frank Olson

Enough that my host asked me to redirct the DNS for a while to a null address. It was a malicious attack.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Reply to
Roland

LOL. Nope just a remoted hosted website. I've got several sites hsoted there. That was the only one that was subjected to an e-mail attack. Surprised they didn't try a DNS attack except that is easier and faster to trace.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.