For Roland Moore

dont be so hard on rlb

Reply to
Frog
Loading thread data ...

Well Roland I guess I can appreciate your feelings. But I'm sure you know the score from here.

I doubt very much that you need any more examples of what DMW Bass has done to people and to this and other Usenet groups. Uncaring conduct with no regard or feelings about what he's done to peoples personal and private lives as well as how he has been the continuous disruption in this otherwise great venue. There is no room in society for people like that and unfortunately for him and fortunately for society, he'll soon be gone from it. I can't help but be thankful that someone of his debased and demented mentality will no longer be able to do hurtful and nasty things to people. It's truly a relief that it will soon be over.

However, until such time as Bass is no longer an issue in this Newsgroup if in the meantime you can't stand the pig and/or the lipstick, there's only one thing left to say:

You don't run this group and you don't control anyone or what goes on here. If you don't like it ......... feel free to leave or use your kill file.

Oh ....and one more thing, ....... Otherwise, you seem like an interesting guy. Perhaps you can get over this (because it's not going to go away and there's nothing you can do about it anyway) and get on with other more trade related matters.

Reply to
Jim

"and get on with other more trade related matters."

Please let's do that.

Hopefully from my perspective your prognosis for Bass will be wishful thinking for you rather than prophetic for him.

"and you don't control anyone or what goes on"

That is true for every one that posts here, so we can do nothing to improve or detract from the ailment Bass has. Me keeping a good thought for his medical improvement shouldn't bother you.

I post here because I hope to learn more from folks who, for the most part, do what I do for a living.

Reply to
Roland

As you know, I hope you're wrong.

Likewise, my contrary thoughts shouldn't bother you either.

That was Steve Ryckman's intention when he formed this Newsgroup and it was my intention about 10 years ago when I first came here and most everyone who is here too. Unfortunately Bass has interfered with that goal by continually using this group to promote his website, lie and deceive end users, deride installers, and insult anyone who started out wanting to do what you just said. Because of his ignoring the intentions of the original FAQ, unfortunately the only way to object to his conduct, is also contrary to the FAQ. The majority of regular participants of ASA object to his conduct, but for some reason, unknown to me, there doesn't seem to be any interest in ousting him as was done to him in the aviation Newsgroup. Therefore, I do what I do and what I can to do.... and that is the same thing that he does here, only more so. There's no reason why one person can disrupt this group and not be ostracized yet someone else who does it be condemed. That is, ........ if you don't like what I do and you feel you want to criticize me, then you'd damn well better do something about him first.

Otherwise ..... if you want to take advantage of the good that does come out of this Newsgroup, just stand by and pick the diamonds out of the bullshit.

Glad to see that we're hopefully on better terms, now that we know where each of us stands.

>
Reply to
Jim

So Steve Ryckman is connected with SIMS? And that is the same guy that started this NG? I know a lot of Central Stations that use SIMS. Some SIMS guys have switched to DICE in our area. DICE is UNIX based so that makes me not a DICE fan. However DICE seems to work okay. Most Central Stations in my area running SIMS run some version of DSC (a.k.a. SurGard) brand (virtual) receiver. I have had a few issues with SIMS over time but since I don't operate a Central Station I mostly complain to the Central Station staff and they forward it to SIMS. Most SIMS issues I had involved trying to get a DSC receiver to parse out Modem a3 squared format correctly to hand it off to SIMS correctly. SIMS doesn't seem to run on a database engine like MSSQL, it seems older and written around a flat file system. As time goes on the Central Station business seems to be more its own animal separate from alarm installation more and more. You say Steve Ryckman doesn't post much here anymore. I wonder if that is at least some part of the reason?

Reply to
Roland Moore

Actually Steve did post here recently. It was during one of Bass' longer "hiatuses" from the Group. AFAIK, Steve "lurks".

Reply to
Frank Olson

As I've said before, this is the reason that Jiminex and a few others have filled ASA with trash for so many years. What a shame.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Why is that? Unix is universally known for stability

I could see automation maybe having problems with a particular format but not the receiver, SurGard does have a specific setting to interpret Modem format and from what I've seen it works as well as a Radionics 6600

He doesn't post because of Robert Bass

Reply to
Mark Leuck

UNIX is touted for its stability that is true. However it has its own set of other issues to deal with. Starting with a command line interface style instead of a GUI. The UNIX command library differs from Windows commands with ones like grep, kill etc. It is not a user platform, but ususally only a server platform and has to connect to regular Windows desktop machines to get things done most of the time. So instead of having dissimilar operating systems to get together, I like to keep things Windows end to end. Drivers are another issue. Many hardware vendors don't create drivers or only have limited or almost BETA drivers for UNIX machines. In the end when I show up I am trying to get an access system to work. Many times that means fooling around with a UNIX structure and a database engine like Informix. If you're are unlucky enough to have to reinstall the OS because of a harware failure, or bad back up that is an event that takes much longer to do than Windows. Doing it at some odd hour, under the gun to get the system back on line and with no access to tech support, that can certainly flavor your opinion of the product over time. Thankfully the last Card Key UNIX box was the Pegasus

Reply to
Roland Moore

I agree it isn't for most users however for large critical applications it's pretty much mandatory. GE can't kill Unix and it will always have a place in any industry on the server side. Windows just doesn't have the reliability yet

I agree with you tho I like Windows better

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I'm not sure if you're also speaking about Linux too, because if so... it aint going away.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I didn't mean GE killed UNIX as an OS just that GE isn't making anymore access applications that use UNIX anymore once the Casi line is dead. I think it is all going to the Facility Commander Win FX or whatever GE is going to call it.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Reply to
Roland Moore

He doesn't post because of all the vitriol. You have contributed to that.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I was thinking about TIVO's , DVRs, Web servers, and knick knacks like:

formatting link

Reply to
G. Morgan

Your vitriol contribution out pass all the other contribution past and future of anyone in that NG...

Reply to
Petem

This from someone who regularly posts about wanting others to die, suggests killing Jews, etc. Uh-huh.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

No he specifically blames you

Reply to
Mark Leuck

No, *you* specifically blame me, but you've never been honest. I've met Steve in person and the conversation was quite civil. You won't admit it but he left during the first trash-talk tirade from Sabodish. Numerous others have left because of Jiminex. Most sane people in the trade left long ago due to *all* of the noise in ASA. The only ones who stayed around are Bob C, Bob L, me and the IB (that includes you).

You've openly stated several times that you enjoy all the fighting that goes on in ASA and you've made it a point to provoke strife on a regular basis so your disingenuous claim that I've driven SR out is just BS.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

"Robert L Bass" a écrit dans le message de news: fLGdnePMHt9UofrYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

I only suggest,you on the contrary did killed someone,and went to jail cause you threatened someone with a gun...

Reply to
Petem

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.