DSC 864 or 1864

I have some questions about DSC's 864 and the new 1864. I had an old

832 installed and am looking to upgrade to the 864. Since DSC released the 1864, the original 864 line is hard to find. I've read that the new series of panels including the 1864 has been very buggy and already went through 1 recall. So to the experts, what do you advise?

1. Should I stick with the original 864? If so, can someone recommend a good vendor to purchase? And importantly ---- what version of the panel should I be looking for, I'm guessing I should get the last version of the 864 panel before they discontinued that line and went with the 1864.

2. Should I just upgrade to the new 1864? I've read it's buggy. Since I'm not affiliated with DSC, how would I get panel upgrades ---- I can't correct? I've read the new panels are upgradeable, but I'm guessing since I'm not in the biz I don't get the upgrades without buying a new panel. I programmed my last panel and will be programming this one, but I'm not looking to want to deal with bugs.

Thanks everyone for your time.

Reply to
bigjess007
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
alarman

The main difference in the 832/864 and the 1616/1832/1864 is RoHS and CP-01. There is not a lot of differences in feature set (okay set your own daylight saving schedule) between the old and new. There was a recall on the panel but it only affected the SIA transmission format and a near full event buffer. If you're looking for a "bug free" panel I don't think any vendor fits there. Everyone has their own little issues. DSC is not a top of the line product. DSC is a main stream, low end, high volume panel vendor. If you want to "upgrade" then there should be some features you have in mind to upgrade to. Once you list those features it would be easier to recommend a panel that would fit.

Reply to
Roland Moore

I'm with you, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Reply to
Barney

It was an older panel, that had some quirks, most notably was I set one keypad to chime on door opening, and after a day it would revert back and all the keypads would chime on door opening. One of the keypads was in the bedroom and that made for a very big annoyance. So that's one reason why I'm upgrading, and I firgured that I would go to an 864 that has more outputs and more partitions so I have room to grow. But I'm tryinig to figure out whether to go with the 864 or

1864, I would think the last version of the 864 would be pretty stable as it was out for some time before they went to the 1864.......
Reply to
bigjess007

I agree, no "bug free" panel, but I would think that the last version of the 864 was more stable then the new 1864, since it had been out for some time, but you guys are the experts. And since I'm not affiliated with DSC and doing this on my own, I would imagine I don't get any recall upgrades. My main issue with my old 832 was that 'drive you crazy' door chime on all the keypads. And I figured with the 864 I had more room to grow, specifically with more zones and partitions (my 832 had 27 zones used). I'm just trying to decide what the lesser of two evils are, 864 or 1864.

Reply to
bigjess007

The way some companies work is to have the dealer be the "Beta" for the product. Others do not. In any case the 832 has been out there long enough so there aren't any surprises left I'd say. When there are problems with panels, I have had manufacture's engineers fly in to (think) they were going to tell me how the cow ate the cabbage, but left with their tail between their legs owing me thousands of dollars in tech time. I am not saying that was DSC, but I am not saying that wasn't DSC. Having a panel with 27 zones is not a lot of zones and the 832 can handle that easily. As you know the

832 has 2 partiti>> The main difference in the 832/864 and the 1616/1832/1864 is RoHS and >> CP-01.
Reply to
Roland

I might be adding on, so the need for more zones may arrise, so I think I will move up, to the 864 so I have more room. And as you said it's been out for a while, so hopefully I can get one that was the last version before they dropped it and went to the 1864. I have to get a new panel regardless, even if I were to just get another (updated) 832 because that damn keypad chiming on all the keypads drives me nutz when I'm trying to sleep!!

Anyone know what the last version produced was on the 864? A good vendor to purchase from? Thanks again!!

Reply to
bigjess007

Reply to
Roland

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.