2 Partition DSC 1864 Smoke Detector Question

I am installing DSC 1864 Alarm Panel with 2 partitions to provide security in two buildings. I am using 2 wire smoke detectors, directly connected to PGM2 in the panel in the main building.

I am running a 4 wire cable to the remote building for the second keypad and a PC5108 Expansion Module. I also want to put in a couple of smoke detectors in the remote building.

What is the best solution for providing smoke detectors in the remote building? Can I use 4 wire smoke detectors and wire them into a zone on the PC5108 or do I need to do something else?

Thanks,

Reply to
Mike Schumann
Loading thread data ...

Yes, you can use the zone expander. Use fire cable between the main panel and the zonex.

Reply to
alarman

how do you do the power supervision relay then?..just curious...it'll eat a zone on the expander right (4wire smokey)?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Should just hookup like normal, with a n/c pushbutton for reset. Donno why it would take another zone.

Reply to
alarman

brain fart here

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Is this a commercial or residential application?

Jewellfish

Reply to
jewellfish

Commercial.

Mike Schumann

Is this a commercial or residential application?

Jewellfish

** Posted from
formatting link
Reply to
Mike Schumann

The 1864 is not a commercial fire panel.

Reply to
alarman

With regard to fire .... and commercial applications .... it all depends where you live and what the local authority who has jurisdiction over the installations of fire alarms in your comunity has to say..... but generally speaking, it really doesn't matter whether you "need" smoke detectors or a fire alarm, or if you are doing the installation yourself. On commercial buildings, because the public( people other than the owner) have access, most jurisdictions require that you adhere to fire codes. National fire codes usually prevail and they require pull stations at every entrance, stobes and sounding devices in all locations and in isolated areas, smoke and heat dectectors installed for specific applications and all devices mounted at specific heights and specific spacing. You can't use a control panel that isn't specifically listed for commercial use. If you do and you have a fire or possibly just a false alarm, you may be subject to local fines and if you should seek to obtain a discount from your insurance agency they may require your system to be a "conforming" system anyway. And again, it really doesn't matter whether you " need" it or it isn't "required"

If you have it .... it has to conform. And since you've already tried to do it yourself with out consulting with someone ...... you should bbe advised that an installation of this type is consideralbly more expensive than what you've proposed so far ..... even if you were to continue to do the job yourself, rather than calling in a professional.

As mentioned by someone else, you should check with your local building department or whoever it is who has authority in your area governing the installation of fire alarms before you install a system that you'll not be able to use or worse yet, get yourself into a legal situation with fines etc.

You could also call in a local rocket scientist. (Private joke to our group idiot)

Reply to
Jim

yeppers...totally agree

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.