ADSL or SDSL best for outbound CCTV/DVR

Ok so I missed the boat.. Been fighting a losing battle for months Then I read an internet news clip about the bandwidth difference between adsl and sdsl.. So has anyone been able to get good outbound DVR service using adsl (standard DSL service)? Or has all the setups been sdsl (business grade DSL) and the factory just forgot to tell us?

Tks,

RTS

Reply to
Rocky T Squirrel
Loading thread data ...

I have it going on the cheap dsl at the house and it works. not the fastest but it works.

Reply to
Barney

Choice one offers the sdsl service to its buisness customers and it is considerably faster than asdl because it is 765 up and down my one customer switched from cable to sdsl and difference was amazing. down loads are not as fast as cable but uploads of video are great

Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.

Basically you pretty much get the bandwidth you pay for. The problem with most adsl services is they are dynamic IP. This means you need to setup a dyndns service and a client software package to update your current IP address to the dyndns service. Then you can access it remotely using generic name that is redirected towards whatever you current IP address is.

Also, running a video server is probably contrary to your TOS for your ADSL residential service and they may cancel you or bottlekneck your speed when they realize you are running a server if you are the kind who will log on from work and continuously monitor the video at home etc.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

don't tell ;)

Reply to
Barney

This certainly seems like a simple question to answer but it might not be, depending on what type of video encoders or DVR/NVR units you use. You have hit the nail on the head squarely in one area. That is bandwidth costs money. Not just ADSL versus SDSL, but there is a cost to virtually any bandwidth consumption. There are a variety of ways to deal with it via OS and QoS or the same function in the router. If you go for Bosch encoders they have an almost amazing way to set bandwidth to a fare-thee-well.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Even that may not be enough with some ISPs. I've found for most clients with Telus ADSL, even on a business line, the IPs can change as often as every few hours, even on a constant connection. Depending on the customer's home ISP and the DDNS service used, it can sometimes take an hour or two for the name updates to propogate, by which time the IP may have changed again (that's an extreme case, but I did have it happen with one client).

If you're doing this for a business, you're probably paying business rates for the line to begin with, in which case a static IP may be a free option; at worst, it should be a RELATIVELY small extra cost.

Good point, although you may be able to pass it off as "remote-accessing my webcam at home". Generally, I think, the "no servers" rules are intended more to prevent customers from running commercial services of their own over their residential feeds.

Reply to
Matt Ion

As you probably read, the "a" in ASDL stands for asymmetric which means the upload speed is a whole lot less than the download speed. This is fine for home internet use where you are primarily concerned with download speed. When using DSL for DVR remote viewing, the opposite is true. You need bandwidth on the upload side since the DVR is trying to upload video to your remote location. Ideally, you need a high speed symmetric DSL line that offers a high upload speed to make the most of your DVR's remote viewing capability. The upload data rate can vary with ADSL, but can be as lower than 0.5 Mbps with some DSL "Lite" services. Whether or not this is sufficient depends on the DVR you are using since image size can vary and some models will offer better video with less bandwidth than others.

Reply to
J. Sloud

Tks for all the feedback, I guess I should have added that the DVR systems we've been using, (according to the factory reps, requires 300kbd upload to broadcast..) Well we tried all last year with the factory to get even one unit to work. todate none have sent the first image out.. It seems the phone co (BellSouth) didn't want to mention anything about SDSL to us and the Chinaese service tech (Ameoba Inc) didn't even know there was such a thing.. Oh well cheap equipment gets cheap results..

Tks, RTS

Reply to
Rocky T Squirrel

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.