Do most DVR's hand both IP & Analog cameras?

I'm just wondering if when a DVR says it has 4 ports, if that means RJ45 for IP and BNC for analog cameras.

thanks

Reply to
Ned
Loading thread data ...

Most DVRs only have inputs for analog cameras. Then if equiped they provide one RJ45 for IP networking to connect to them.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I see. The DVR doesn't have 4 or 8 RJ45's since that is what a switch is for. Makes a lot of sense and I guess it keeps the cost down. Does anyone have peference? IP or Analog?

thanks

Reply to
Ned

For the most part a 4 port DVR means 4 BNC type analog camera inputs. Some really low end units might have use RJ-45 or RJ-11 connections instead of BNC for "kit" units with their own cameras. However traditional DVRs in general and especially the kit types are rapidly becoming as old school as a VCR. There are many hybrid DVR units that will accept both analog as well as IP camera inputs. The Bosch DiBos is one of many hybrid units out there.

formatting link
manufacturers like American Dynamics are releasing software upgrades to allow IP encoders/cameras to be used (with their encoders). Most all IP cameras support PoE. You do have to double check the power availability on the switch you select to match the camera load. In the mega pixel camera market most all cameras are IP based. Most DVR units, even hybrids, aren't made with enough IP through put or retention capacity for more than one or two IP mega pixel cameras.

Reply to
Roland Moore

This is correct - IP cameras *by definition* communicate over a network and *do not* require multiple ports on a DVR, or any camera-specific ports, for that matter. Plug the cameras and DVR into the same network switch, hub or router, and you're good to go. When ad copy and specs refer to "ports" on a DVR, you can be 99.999% certain they're referring to analog video ports, whether they be standard BNC or RCA connectors, or quasi-proprietary RJ-11 or RJ-45 connections that also provide power and/or audio connections to the cameras.

I'd say they're more becoming the "lowest common denominator" that VCR-based systems used to be. IP cameras still tend to be substantially more expensive than their analog counterparts, all other specs being equal, and as such aren't as common just yet.

In theory, if camera and switch both comply with PoE spec, there shouldn't be loading issues, as the camera spec should not allowed it to draw more current than the power provision spec tells the switch it should be able to supply.

More to the point, however, is that most existing switches simply do not support PoE - it does add a fair bit to the cost, and unless one was planning a network specifically for PoE capacity, one would likely not spec and install switches that support it.

In this case, there are "injector" boxes available that can be plugged inline with a network connection to put PoE on the line.

Megapixel cameras just about HAVE to be IP-based, as composite video doesn't provide the resolution for it. You could have a camera with a megapixel sensor that scales down to composite video, I suppose, but that would kinda defeat the point of using a MP sensor. (And yes, I know some MP cameras do have a composite output on them, but they're primarily IP camears, and that port is intended to be used for setup only).

Depends somewhat on the camera resolution, framerate, etc. The one manufacturer I'm most familiar with, IQ Invision, make cameras covering the full 1.3MP to 5MP range. Most of these can be configured output video at a pre-set maximum framerate, to minimize network traffic and storage requirements, and as with analog capture systems, compression levels can also be adjusted for appropriate size-vs.-quality concerns.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Most encoders like Ver> > For the most part a 4 port DVR means 4 BNC type analog camera inputs. Some

Reply to
Just Looking

Ethernet hubs are nearly non-existent anymore... still, there are a few out there. If that's your existing setup, it'll work. Your network is pretty much obsolete anyway, but it'll work.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Perhaps with many DVRs, but not with many edge IP video encoders.

Reply to
Just Looking

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.