Cheap DVR's Get Hacked

Every now and then I think "maybe the cheap store-bought DVR's aren't so bad for the price," then I find a link like this...

formatting link
Enjoy.

- Chris

Reply to
Chris
Loading thread data ...

for the price," then I find a link like this...

formatting link

I once worked for a company which had their personnel / payroll computer (mainframe with terminals for employees) in a separate locked metal cage in the computer room. NOT connected to the internet. And all wires going to terminals in the personnel office run in metal conduit pipes!

Other high security computers are NOT connected to any phone lines or the internet.

I guess that is a good idea!

Reply to
Bill

for the price," then I find a link like this...

formatting link
>

We live in a scary world. My son's PlayStation account information was one of the ones that were compromised when Sony got hacked. Sony was complacent about security and left their customers vulnerable. Totally unacceptable for a company to not take appropriate precautions in this day and age. My son will never buy another Sony branded product as a result.

Reply to
Frank Kurz

formatting link
>>

You guys know Chinese IBMs were manufactured with spyware on the bios right? When the spyware is inside your network already its like trying to block Skype. You can't. It would not surprise me to find out that this was not a flaw, but a designed exploit.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

formatting link
>>>

Good point. That's likely the reason why security equipment from China is so cheap!

*** Buy this cheap DVR for $79.99 and pay thousands more later after we hack it and threaten to send your wife/girlfriend/best buddies/PETA pictures of you naked screwing that duck. ***

What a racket!

:-)

Reply to
Frank Kurz

formatting link
>>>>

Well YOU try screwing a duck without raising a racket...

Reply to
JoeRaisin

On Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:24:55 PM UTC-5, JoeRaisin wrote: Well YOU try screwing a duck without raising a racket...

Reminds me of a joke:

A man is walking down the street and as he passes a bar, he hears this beau= tiful piano music coming from inside. He walks into a bar and notices that = there's a tiny man, less than a foot tall, playing the piano. He asks the b= artender where he found such an unusual piano player. The bartender points = to a large genie lamp in the middle of the bar. The bartender says "in that= lamp is a genie. He's getting old and hard of hearing and only grants one = wish instead of three, but customers are free to rub the lamp and make a wi= sh". The guy goes over and rubs the lamp and sure enough, an old genie with= a long gray beard appears and tells him to make a wish. The customer says he wants a mi= llion bucks. The genie says, "Your wish is granted," and goes back into the= lamp. A few seconds later, the place is filled to the ceiling with ducks, = more than he had ever seen before - about a million of them, waddling and q= uacking about and piling out the door and onto the street. =20 After the feathers and duck crap was cleaned up, the guy says to the barten= der,=20 "Jeez, I'm sorry. I guess he really is hard of hearing". The bartender replies, "I'll say. You don't really think I wished for a 10-inch pianist, = do you?"

Reply to
Jim

formatting link
>>>>>

Besides... anybody doing the boinky boinky thing in front of a camera has got to expect somebody else is going to see it eventually.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

formatting link
>>>>>>

First five rules of sexual shenanigans (which includes affairs and/or embarrassing behaviors/partners), never write anything down, never take any pictures, deny, deny, deny...

Having done more than a few camera installs, and having installed and/or serviced systems with covert cameras and those with full perimeter coverage, I just assume that anytime I am out of my house, I am on some sort of a camera.

And sooner or later, those cameras are going to able to do the shit they already do in movies and on the TV.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Ever watch the TV show "Person of Interest"? Now....Go Google=AD=99 "Trapwire"

Reply to
spam

Yep, talk about a casting a wide net to catch a few fishes. I read all the bid requests/specifications and it's downright scary what they are building.

Have you seen the movie "Enemy of the State" with Will Smith? I had to laugh back then at the ease of which the NSA was tapping into private CCTV systems in real time and the real-time satellite/drone/hello pictures.

I'm not laughing anymore... They can (and do) have that shit up and running. Your 'smart phone' is a surveillance device that just happens to make phone calls. Need someone's location right NOW? check! (GPS, cell tower triangulation), who am I communicating with? check! (voice and data stored for every single OTA transaction),want to know my associates too? check! (phone/email contact lists, Facebook, Google, Twitter, Linked In), Wanna see and hear what I'm doing right now? check! (remote microphone and camera switch-on). --- And that's just the damn phone.

X-Box with Kinect has eyes and ears in your living room, bedroom. Your laptop's built-in camera and mic. can be turned on remotely. Of course, it captures all your keystrokes (passwords known), and all data sent and received is captured and archived "just in case" at massive data centers that feed off major backbone "splitters" (for lack of a better more accurate description). An AT&T employee turned whistle-blower already confirmed the existence of a 'device' that grabs *everything* on the backbone. One side does its purpose - to route data to the proper recipient. The other side of the "splitter" goes right into the NSA's automated listening/archiving behemoth of machines to eavesdrop on every single phone call, text message, 'Tweet", FAX, email, - whatever. They pwn the spectrum. Even this 40 line post will live on their databases forever.

Orwell got it right, he was just off by a couple of decades.

Reply to
G. Morgan

You are referring to former AT&T technician, Mark Klein who revealed the ex= istence of a room called "Room 641A" in San Francisco, CA. The room is fed by fiber optic lines from beam splitters installed in the f= iber optic trunks that carry Internet backbone traffic.=20 The data is routed to an Narus STA 6400, a device designed to intercept and= analyze Internet communications at very high speeds.

This is part of a program called "ECHELON".

Decades ago I used to work in a lot of Telephone company C.O.'s One of AT&T, MCI, SPRINT, BELL, etc.'s pieces of "Test Equipment" is a devi= ce called a "Firebird". (a similar unit called a "T-BERD" is also used). Th= e FIREBERD 6000A is a legitimate piece of testing equipment, but I wish I h= ad a dollar for every time I entered a C.O. Switch Site to work on their Ac= cess Control System and heard a half dozen of these units squawking with te= lephone conversations and the switch room was suspiciously deserted, NO TEC= HNICIANS anywhere in site.

There are hoards of these types (Room641A) of facilities all over the count= ry, Including one in the back room of my very first Internet Provider nearl= y 20 years ago. Most are "Fronts" in somewhat plain sight. others are underground or otherw= ise out of sight.=20 There's a lot more I can't speak of but, about the movie.... Not only have I seen the movie "Enemy of the State", but the opening of the= movie shows a helicopter flying around the "Facility" I worked at for year= s, and if you noticed all of the cameras on the rooftops of those buildings= , then you've seen my work (although they have now all been replaced with n= ewer equipment). I installed those (and hundreds more) which was all part o= f a massive upgrade to the existing system of several hundred more that wer= e previously installed. I not only added hundreds more to that existing sys= tem of several hundred, I also re-located (within the building) and upgrade= d the head end equipment in the Security Operations Command Center, convert= ed coax to multi-mode multi-strand fiber, black & white to color, analog to= digital, etc. I've also installed cameras in Micro Chip manufacturing Clean Rooms, and Pr= otected Cray Super Computer Facilities. When you see all of those "Traffic = Safety Cameras", ever wonder why there is a need for these "Safety" cameras= in some of the most rural areas with no real traffic problems? How about h= ow so many cameras can possibly be managed on such a large scale (IP Camera= s on fiber, transmission speed and Resolution are very critical)? Where do = you think they are fed to for analyzing, using Facial Recognition as well a= s license plate Optical Character Recognition (OCR)? They can track your ev= ery move across the country. At one time, there were only 7 KNOWN Cray Super Computers in the world. 4 o= f them were thought to be at the "Facility" at Fort George G. Meade (known = as "The Fort") in Laurel, Maryland (I used to live 10 minutes away). The fastest Super Computer in the world, a Cray Titan with a peak processin= g speed of 17.59 PFLOPS (petaflops) went "online" October 29th 2012 in Oak = Ridge, Tennessee, a "Not so Secret" facility. Let's face it, Privacy as you knew it, no longer exists.

Reply to
spam

Protected Cray Super Computer Facilities. When you see all of those "Traffic Safety Cameras", ever wonder why there is a need for these "Safety" cameras in some of the most rural areas with no real traffic problems?

Interesting points... I'll get back to you on the cool stuff.

I wanted to address this one in particular. I used to think those rural 'cameras' were IR sensors to detect engine heat, for sensing presence/absence of vehicles. You know, to take the place of the induction loops in concrete.

Are you saying those are actually cameras?! Shit, we have 6 of them at each intersection in the suburb outside of Houston where I reside. All told there are 100's of them in an area with ~12K households. I used to think they were cams. and wondered who monitored them, and why they were not on public websites for "us" to see the traffic. Are you saying they actually *are* cams, not traffic signal sensors?

Reply to
G. Morgan

On that point, I have heard that they are really cameras and the system is using "video motion" to detect a vehicle to trip the lights. It makes a much better trip mechanism than the ground loops that get fried by lightning strikes and/or damage from being in a hostile road surface. Not to mention the problem of being on a motorcycle waiting "hours" for the light to change so that you can pass through the intersection safely when no other traffic is present. :-)

Les

Reply to
Pa_Bound

I forgot to add that when you see those cameras at some rural intersection there would need to be some means of getting the video signal out to a head end somewhere. Never did see a video transmission antenna mounted anywhere. Unless it is covertly installed behind the red light fixture.

Les

Reply to
Pa_Bound

Protected Cray Super Computer Facilities. When you see all of those "Traff= ic Safety Cameras", ever wonder why there is a need for these "Safety" came= ras in some of the most rural areas with no real traffic problems?=20

They are BOTH. Below is a link to explain in in much greater detail than ap= propriate here, however...DO NOT be fooled into thinking it is used only fo= r traffic control. NEARLY EVERY major technological break through we have e= xperienced in our lifetime has come about as a direct result of Military de= velopment and deployment and then later introduced to the general public in= a form more "Acceptable" for use by the government to "monitor" what we do= , where we go, and what we say, under the guise of "protecting" us or "enha= ncing" our lives. In other words, "How can we spy on the people and make th= em believe we are benefiting them in some way."

formatting link

Reply to
spam

nd Protected Cray Super Computer Facilities. When you see all of those "Tra= ffic Safety Cameras", ever wonder why there is a need for these "Safety" ca= meras in some of the most rural areas with no real traffic problems?=20

appropriate here, however...DO NOT be fooled into thinking it is used only = for traffic control. NEARLY EVERY major technological break through we have= experienced in our lifetime has come about as a direct result of Military = development and deployment and then later introduced to the general public = in a form more "Acceptable" for use by the government to "monitor" what we = do, where we go, and what we say, under the guise of "protecting" us or "en= hancing" our lives. In other words, "How can we spy on the people and make = them believe we are benefiting them in some way."

For those who may not want to read the PDF, in short those "Cameras" only n= eed to detect the presence of a vehicle to operate for traffic control, how= ever they have the ability (or not, depending on the camera used) to see no= rmal video, as well as detect "Occupancy" "Occupancy COUNT" and even Vehicl= e classification, profile & shape.

Reply to
spam

Protected Cray Super Computer Facilities. When you see all of those "Traffic Safety Cameras", ever wonder why there is a need for these "Safety" cameras in some of the most rural areas with no real traffic problems?

appropriate here, however...DO NOT be fooled into thinking it is used only for traffic control. NEARLY EVERY major technological break through we have experienced in our lifetime has come about as a direct result of Military development and deployment and then later introduced to the general public in a form more "Acceptable" for use by the government to "monitor" what we do, where we go, and what we say, under the guise of "protecting" us or "enhancing" our lives. In other words, "How can we spy on the people and make them believe we are benefiting them in some way."

formatting link

to detect the presence of a vehicle to operate for traffic control, however they have the ability (or not, depending on the camera used) to see normal video, as well as detect "Occupancy" "Occupancy COUNT" and even Vehicle classification, profile & shape.

I read the .pdf. That is some crazy shit man. When I saw "occupancy count" and "vehicle off center in lane" PLUS driver sleeping detection that is really going overboard. Who voted on this and why were the public not informed of the capabilities of these systems? Yeah, I know.. assume you are being taped anywhere except home - but using traffic signaling and detection devices for surveillance under the guise of "safety" is pushing the Big Brother thing waayyyy too far.

What's worse is I'm just now hearing about this. That means the government has kept it quiet from civilian contractors.

Now, I wonder if they all get hooked to an OC3 trunk and monitored in some basement in Langley, VA eventually?

Reply to
G. Morgan

formatting link
>

I love person of interest and know what you're talking about.

Heck, just the run of the mill security cameras that connect to the 'net are bad enough, imagine if someone really could hack any camera lens that exists...

Reply to
JoeRaisin

appropriate here, however...DO NOT be fooled into thinking it is used only for traffic control. NEARLY EVERY major technological break through we have experienced in our lifetime has come about as a direct result of Military development and deployment and then later introduced to the general public in a form more "Acceptable" for use by the government to "monitor" what we do, where we go, and what we say, under the guise of "protecting" us or "enhancing" our lives. In other words, "How can we spy on the people and make them believe we are benefiting them in some way."

formatting link
>

need to detect the presence of a vehicle to operate for traffic control, however they have the ability (or not, depending on the camera used) to see normal video, as well as detect "Occupancy" "Occupancy COUNT" and even Vehicle classification, profile & shape.

I have to believe that the more information there is, the less likely any of it gets any sort of serious scrutiny.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.