Compass Software Problem

I had this problem before and I forget home to solve it and seeing that Ademco tech support is closed for the weekend I thought someone else here might have the answer.

After a new installation of Compass the program will not open pass the splash screen before an error comes up saying that it;

"Couldn't initialize data access because file "SYSTEM.MDA" couldn't be opened.

I remember someone from tech showed me how to find that file and them delete it's contents, then you close it and restart Compass. That seemed to fix the problem the last time.

Anyone know anything about this

Bigguy

Reply to
Bigguy2468
Loading thread data ...

Most areas have a Honeywell local support tech that does training etc. Do you know the one in your area? If not it might be a good idea to find out just for such occations when weekend tech support isn't around. Make a bet that forces him to pay you a buck every time you find a new bug in a Vista panel. It won't be long before he's too far in debt to you not to take your calls anytime day or night.

Reply to
Roland Moore

For the heck of it try deleting download.ini in the Windows directory, you'll have to resetup your modem but it might work

Reply to
Mark Leuck

What in the hell are you talking about?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

In our geographic area there is a local Honeywell technical support person that hovers around the local ADI branch. If you need local "hands on" tech support with a Honeywell product he will offer it when he is available. This local tech support person also conducts classes on Honeywell products. For the most part he is 8 AM to 5 PM. However I have called him after hours and weekends when regular tech support is closed and he has helped me out with issues. I am certain that is not how he prefers it, but he is gracious enough to take the calls. When he can't answer a question he can usually connect you with the right tech support person to help you out fast, and not just get tech support 'pot luck'. The Vista panel is a bug feast when it is expanded to its full capabilities. (i.e. zones nearly maxed out, keypads same, relay boards of all types) then it really slows down and acts up. My 'favorite' tech problem with the Vista panel was when I was on a long call with an upper level tech support guy that the local guy helped me reach. I said "why isn't the # 8 relay program working"? He said "YOU must be doing something wrong" I said "okay show me". He said, "Oh wait, mine is screwed up too. Must be another bug in the program, just go to #9". I think the Vista high end panels are more for electricians doing simple fire jobs that need a cheap panel that has lot of zones. When you have to use it as a combo burg/fire with elevator recall and different relay triggers for air handler shut down and such it really begins to fall apart, a fact that is WELL known at Honeywell tech support. Most dealers that would do this type work regularly would never use such a panel to begin with, it would be some engineered systems panel instead. I think Ademco made this panel originally just to have a 'me too' panel when comparing themselves to other manufacturers, not to have someone actually use it with all features active. It's kind of why after all these years that Napco too keeps that Mag 3000 around I suspect. Well I don't suspect that actually; that is what the Napco rep tells me. What I meant about the "pay you a buck" comment was that once you have hands on with the Vista panel and know all its faults he is going to try much harder to make you happy with the product, maybe to avoid your becoming so angry that you are just sitting around the local ADI branch telling the other techs about all the problems with the panel. Doesn't spare the newsgroups however.

"Mark Leuck" wrote in message news:4605eb2a$0$24749$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com...

Reply to
Roland Moore

Whats that got to do with Compass?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

The local tech support guy knows and supports Compass too, even on weekends. If you're in his area of Texas perhaps you know him already? His name is Randy Reyna.

Reply to
Roland Moore

I know Randy very well

Reply to
Mark Leuck

There is a program within the Compass directory to repair the database, you might try running that first

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.