Very wierd network problem

Hello,

I am having a very wierd network problem, and I hope that someone here could be of assistance to me. Here's the dilemma:

1) I have a reselling web hosting account where I have a WHM control panel and I can signup clients, using the space and bandwidth that I am provided.

2) I was transferring files through FTP the other day to one of the sites that I host, when suddenly it stopped working, and the file transfer didn't complete

3) No other websites that I hosted would work, not through a browser, FTP, POP3 email through Outlook, or not even using the IP address that I can use to go into cPanel

4) First I assumed it was the host, but I found out it wasn't them, and it worked on other ends

5) I figured out that if I use a free public proxy server, I can access my website and email through webmail

6) Next I assumed that it is Comcast, so I give them a call. They have me hook my cable modem directly up into my computer (not through my router) and it worked fine, so they tell me to call Linksys (the manufacter of my router)

7) Let me explain my network configuration now. I have a wired router, which the cable modem is hooked up to. I then have a computer hooked directly into the router, a VOIP phone, a TiVo, and a switch. Connected to the switch (which goes upstairs) I have 3 other computers hooked up to. None of the 4 networked computer can access any of the sites without a proxy server

8) I call Linksys, and they have me change some settings in the router configuration page, and update some firmware, but still nothing. They aslo had me restarting the router, cable modem, and computer. Nothing worked.

Does anybody have any ideas? This is becoming very serious, and I need it fixed ASAP. Thanks.

Reply to
redbull
Loading thread data ...

ok - that's a good start.

Have you tried a factory reset on your router? or a new router?

I'm sure it is. Have you asked the guy/gall who installed/configured your router for assistance?

Reply to
William Tasso

I've done a factory reset, but that did nothing. I installed the router, its just a basic wired 4 port DSL/cable router from Linksys. Anybody? I'll find some way to reward whoever can help me.I'll give you either free webhosting or money!

Reply to
redbull

CALL 24hour Tech Support 1-800-326-7114 at Linksys; take me at my word, they can solve the problem. I just purchased a BEFSFX41 wired Firewall Router and could not get the install done, it was a nightmare and I am no beginner, except at firewall routers.. This is unusual Tech Support in that they actually know what theyr'e doing! The CD that came in the box didn't work as it should have and the instructions couldn't get me to the routers default IP address page, so I called and should have called 2 hours earlier.

Reply to
Sandman

I told you my problem! It is a long post that was my first post in this thread that I posted back on 2/13. And I have called Linksys, as it said in my message. Here is goes again:

redbull Feb 13, 7:05 pm show options Newsgroups: comp.security.firewalls From: "redbull" - Find messages by this author Date: 13 Feb 2005 19:05:49 -0800 Local: Sun, Feb 13 2005 7:05 pm Subject: Very wierd network problem Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Remove | Report Abuse

Hello,

I am having a very wierd network problem, and I hope that someone here could be of assistance to me. Here's the dilemma:

1) I have a reselling web hosting account where I have a WHM control panel and I can signup clients, using the space and bandwidth that I am provided.

2) I was transferring files through FTP the other day to one of the sites that I host, when suddenly it stopped working, and the file transfer didn't complete

3) No other websites that I hosted would work, not through a browser, FTP, POP3 email through Outlook, or not even using the IP address that I can use to go into cPanel

4) First I assumed it was the host, but I found out it wasn't them, and it worked on other ends

5) I figured out that if I use a free public proxy server, I can access my website and email through webmail

6) Next I assumed that it is Comcast, so I give them a call. They have me hook my cable modem directly up into my computer (not through my router) and it worked fine, so they tell me to call Linksys (the manufacter of my router)

7) Let me explain my network configuration now. I have a wired router, which the cable modem is hooked up to. I then have a computer hooked directly into the router, a VOIP phone, a TiVo, and a switch. Connected to the switch (which goes upstairs) I have 3 other computers hooked up to. None of the 4 networked computer can access any of the sites without a proxy server

8) I call Linksys, and they have me change some settings in the router configuration page, and update some firmware, but still nothing. They aslo had me restarting the router, cable modem, and computer. Nothing worked.

Does anybody have any ideas? This is becoming very serious, and I need it fixed ASAP. Thanks.

Reply to
redbull

You didn't tell us what the problem is, what's not working and what are you trying to do?

If you are on cable, most cable companies don't require any changes to have a linksys work - just power cycle everything, including the computers, and it should work.

DSL requires that you setup the PPOE settings in the router.

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.