Another unstable DMP XR-20

I probably won't be able to ge the customer to go for an upgrade to a better more stable panel on this one so I'll give it one more try. They calim that they set the time via the user menu, and every time with in a few days its off by several days. Sometimes everything is off, and its not consistent with it losing time from a total power failure. They change their own batteries so getting them to just pay for a new panel is probably slim. I need to install a DSL filter on it anyway, so I'll do a complete power cycle and check the battery they installed while I am there. That does cure a few of the DMP panels for a while.

(I am surprised they didn't just ask me to sell them a filter and mail it to them.)

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

ter more stable panel on this one so I'll give it one more try. They calim = that they set the time via the user menu, and every time with in a few days= its off by several days. Sometimes everything is off, and its not consiste= nt with it losing time from a total power failure. They change their own ba= tteries so getting them to just pay for a new panel is probably slim. I nee= d to install a DSL filter on it anyway, so I'll do a complete power cycle a= nd check the battery they installed while I am there. That does cure a few = of the DMP panels for a while. (I am surprised they didn't just ask me to s= ell them a filter and mail it to them.)

I don't know anything at all about DMP except that they left the "U" out of= the name. But I do know about the kind of customer that you have.=20

You could just locate a website that sells DSL filters and give the custome= r the URL.=20

With customers like that, I try to have as little to do with them as possib= le as long as they pay the monthly bill. But .... if they're ever late. I'm= on their ass immediately and if there is ever any inclination that they wa= nt to cancel... I immediatly send them a cancellation notice and one to the= ir insurance company and I very politely, and enthusiastically (as if I'm t= rying to help them) give them the name of one of the sleaze alarm company= s in the area.=20

A bad customer is worse than no customer at all.

Reply to
Jim

Yeah, I know that. Oddly they seemed eager for my help this morning. No argument about cost or anything, and paid on the spot. Only time will tell if a full power cycle, and draining the filter caps to make sure no memory was held will actually fix their time set problem or not.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Bob, I seem to remember hearing that some DMP panels do not link to the AC for a time base reference, but instead use an onboard xtal for time base.. Which will over time drift from the standard time keeping.. Causes can vary from voltage changes to Temp. changes...

RTS

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

Drifting several days off in only several days time, is excessive though. P= ersonally I think the XR20 is a POS and most customers don't use the Cellul= ar so having it built in (and with Cell Technology changing constantly) is = a completely wasted feature to build-in anyway. The XR500 is fairly stable = but I have still had quite a few screwy things go wrong with them. Sometime= s the keypads lock up for no reason and won't fix until you pull the plug o= n them (the KP) and reconnect it, then it's fine again til next time. One = I had in a SCIF stop letting the customer arm and disarm, I could get in pr= ogramming but didn't have all the menus, when I went in the COMM menu, I ha= d some, shall I say, "Special" characters where there shouldn't be any.... = All in all, they have come up with a panel that has a lot of good features = but they should have never released it until they did more bug fixing. I HA= TE that the Green light only represents "Power" and NOT "Ready To Arm" and = you have no idea if you will succeed in arming until you try (unless you wa= nna go into Point Status) and also, in the menu, once you do something, you= are booted back out of the menu 9 of 10 times just to need to go in again,= and again, and again.

ALMOST a TOTAL P.O.S. IMHO

Reply to
spam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.