Adding a third keypad to a Caddx NX-8, wiring help requested!

I have a perfectly working Caddx NX-8 system with two keypads that I'd like to add a third keypad to and I have a question about the wiring. This system came installed with my house but I think I have the wiring figured out. Both keypads are wired directly back to the NX-8 board. Now, I'm assuming I could add the third keypad's wiring back to the board but it would be much easier for me to tap into one of the existing keypad's wiring.

Is it possible for these keypads to be wired in series (the wiring diagram in the manual seems to suggest so)? Or will I have to run a separate wire bbck to the panel? Thanks for your help!

Reply to
brim
Loading thread data ...

is caddx sensitive to solid wire?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

not prob. use stranded wire though, not solid.

Reply to
joe

Parallel or series it doesn't mater three conductor. How far is the run? and you need to set the keypad in programming.

Reply to
Rich

You can series the keypads, but it's best to homerun the wiring to the control... Note: you'll need the Installer Master Code (A.K.A. Program Code) and NX-8 installation manual to set the keypad Number and Partition number... Regards, Russ

Reply to
Russell Brill

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it. It's only about a 20ft run (max...probably closer to 10-12) so I don't think I'll run into any max run limitations. As for the programming of the system, I'm not too keen on that. I have both the installer code and they install manual tho...if someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks for the continued help!

-b

Russell Brill wrote:

Reply to
brim

Asking a question like this (in this group) is like pulling the control rods all the way out of a nuclear reactor after the "recirc" pumps have failed... ;-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

GE recommends stranded and I have had problems with erratic behavior of kp after accidentally pulling solid wire to kp before, had to re pull stranded. had to enter code 2-3 times for kp to work & would lock up kp for period of time prob errors in comm.

Reply to
joe

I know...but I love to live dangerously! Pull the rods Fred!

Let's see in 20+ years and with 4000 residential alarms installed with an average of 3 keypads per home...12,000 keypad runs, lets say 75 ft runs to each 900,000 feet of solid wire run (lets subtract out the few that I did run stranded) and round it out to 850,000 feet and never a problem with solid keypad wires. I could also calculate device wiring runs as well :-)

I think the stranded v. solid issue is largely urban legend. If you wire the system properly you'll have no problem with either...and there's pro's and con's for each.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

The problem you mentioned, occasionally having to re-enter the code several times, is a characteristic/flaw in the Caddx panels. The old Ranger series had the same trouble. js

Reply to
alarman

Thanks for the tips for stranded v. solid core wires, but back to my question... :)

I don't think my system is partitioned (small system, 6 zones...3 doors, motion, 2 smoke) and from as far as I can tell, *-9-4 is all I need to do to set the keypad number. Do I still need to mess with the partition setting even if I don't have that set up (assuming they're all on partition 1 or 0...I don't know how to check that). Thanks!

Also, wheres the best place to pick up a small amount of 22-24/4 wire for this...I don't really need a 500' spool.

Reply to
brim

Thanks for the tips re: stranded v. solid core wire, but back to my original question... :)

My system is a fairly small one (6 zones... 3 doors, motion, 2 smoke) so I really doubt it's partitioned, although I'm really not sure and have no idea how to check/verify this. That being said, do I still need to go through the partition programming (I'm guessing maybe it's all on partition 1 or 0...whichever it starts out at). Looks like

*-9-4 gets me to the set keypad number options...I guess this shouldn't be that difficult.

Also, where's a good place to pick up stranded 22-24/4 wire for this job? I don't need a 500ft spool and that seems to be all I can find online. Would Lowes/Home Depot carry this by-the-foot? Thanks for your help.

Reply to
brim

Crash, Do you install NX panels? I looked in the manual and could not find where they recommend stranded although I'm sure I read it somewhere in a manual years ago after having trouble with a keypad in an install. Maybe they've changed the specs since then or maybe I'm loosing my mind.:) But since then i've gone with stranded on the keypad runs for NX systems although I can't find it in the new manual now.

Reply to
joe

Thanks for the confirmation. I have one more question and I'll leave you guy alone.

I have one LCD (NX-148) and one LED (NX-1308). I know how to check the current number/partition on the LCD (it shows you when you enter program mode)...is there any way to see what the current settings are on the LED pad?

Thanks again for being hospitibale to a new guy.

Reply to
brim

the install I'm thinking of stopped having that problem after I switched to the stranded wire so i've stuck with it ever since. I know I read it in the manual at the time, that is why I switched to stranded on that job. But its not in the manuals now that I can find.

Reply to
joe

*94 [program code] the service led & instant led will flash enter keypad #. [prob 3] press *, instant led steady, service led flash. enter partition # [1]. keypad will automatically exit prog mode now.
Reply to
joe

I've got about every NX manual made and I can't find anyplace where it says that

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Care to tell us actually WHICH manufacturer, thinks there's a difference between stranded and solid wire? And why?

I could understand, maybe a difference between twisted and untwisted ....... or shield and unshieded .......but solid and stranded ?????

If it's true, I'd really like to hear the manufacturers reason.

Reply to
Jim

Yah right...but wouldnt electrons traveling in a nice straight line in solid wire (no spinners) get there faster hence they'd have a better chance of beating the Pauly-ference. Also, there'd be less of tendency for them to get all tangled up in them strands.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

It makes no difference whatsoever whether you use solid or stranded core wire.

Regards, Robert L Bass

formatting link

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.