CADDX NX-6 question from homeowner

The house we purchased has a CADDX, NX-6 system. It appears that the previous alarm company changed the installer code (probably to lockout competitors). I have been unable to talk to anyone at this company.

So I plan to install a new NX-6 board.

I however do not have the keys to the cabinet/case in which the board is housed (the standard cabinet pictured in numerous websites as well as the CADDX brochure).

When I called another local alarm company, they quoted me 325$ (189 for the board and the rest for labor) to replace the panel... Hence my desire to undertake this project myself (as well as skepticism abt said company).

My question: When I buy the NX-6 control panel, will it come with the keys for the cabinet? Are these keys standard? Will installing this new board be sufficient for me to get monitoring from any company which supports CADDX?

Thanks in advance for any help/information.

Ruman (Email: rumang at-> gmail ) ps: Someone from the alarm company which did the previous monitoring actually did call back about 4 weeks after my last message. They talked to my wife and *apparently* said, they couldnt reset the installer code. but offered to monitor for 19.95/month.

Reply to
RG
Loading thread data ...

Sir, depending upon where you reside, you can simply send the board to have it unlocked for around $20. Jim Rojas on this ng will do so for you. No need to buy a new board because some scumbag company locked you out of YOUR property....

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

lockout

company).

You've been getting some good advice so far but on one item, I'd suggest that you think about it a little before you do it. One person suggested that you let might want to let someone download your panel and then monitor it. I would suggest that you think about that first. Letting someone that you've never met and never will meet, download your panel, would not be something that I would recommend.

First of all, I'd like to meet the person(s) who are going to have access to my panel. Secondly, if they are satisfied, without meeting you and inspecting the quality of workmanship of your installation, and are willing to monitor your system sight-unseen, I'd kind of question their reliability. How can someone know, via a phone call, that your system isn't in shambles, isnt poorly installed, or won't cause false alarms or ............ in fact, perhaps is installed in such a manner that it actually "wont" report alarms reliably? If they are willing to take responsibility for monitoring your system, under those conditions, I'd really be concerned about it.

I'd suggest that you at least have someone come out and inspect and test your system. Perhaps they will point out some possible problems and you may even find that they will be willing to do the work you want, as I would, at no charge, just to have you as an account. Keep in mind that if you go direct, for your monitoring service, in the future, you could be hard put to find someone to service your account, should the need arise.

Reply to
Jim

At this point its pure speculation as to who changed the code and under what circumstances, it could have been the previous homeowner, or it could have been the alarm company, for all we know the previous owner may have been given the code and omitted to pass it along to the current owner. It seems a little premature to me to start defaming the company based on what little information we have available. Would the locksmith be a scumbag because the seller neglected to pass along the new key for the garage door to the buyer?.

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

It's not codes he's missing; he said the board was locked. I am assuming here he has tried to default the board and it's a no go. That's pretty black and white. If I misread what he said, then you are quite correct. But I don't think so....

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Or the previous owner may have owed the company 900 bucks for monitoring, or installation, or leasing.

Point is it's not unreasonable to ask them to unlock it, or to pay a few bucks to do so. It is unreasonable to assume they're scumbags -

Then again the new owner may not be a new owner, he could be the one that owes the company money (hypothetical of course)

..or he could buy a new board for 40 bucks.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

He said the can was locked, he made no reference to board being locked only that he didn't have the installers code. Appears, probably and apparently are the words he used, assuming is the word you have just used, it may be black & white to you but at this stage it looks like pure conjecture to me. We don't know who changed the code or who knew the code, but apparently that doesn't matter, the new owner of the house doesn't have the code therefore the alarm company is a scumbag, Nice one Robert

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

All alarm companies are scumbags if they charge for service or want to make a profit. (kidding of course)..but I did know a guy out here who charged his COST on everything (seriously) because he felt he should NOT make a profit on his customers. Needless to say, he's not around anymore to provide his "customers" any kind of service.

apparently that

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

or...........he could be a burglar looking for away to break in. which would be easy to do with a few keypresses to disable monitoring if the installer code had not been changed.

Reply to
DrPhil

The point I was commenting on (perhaps too quickly) was based on my assumption that the board was locked in hardware, not that the installer code was changed. Who doesn't changet the installer code, and rightly so ! However, locking a customer permanently out of his fully owned and fully paid for property is quite another thing...

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Well, that is what I would call customer service taken much too far......

RHC

news:oUd2e.3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net... All alarm companies are scumbags if they charge for service or want to make a profit. (kidding of course)..but I did know a guy out here who charged his COST on everything (seriously) because he felt he should NOT make a profit on his customers. Needless to say, he's not around anymore to provide his "customers" any kind of service.

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

can that be done on a NX panel?

Reply to
DrPhil

He was an idiot. Let his religious beliefs somehow dictate his business plan...be good to everyone, make no profit.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Or he could be Batman. Come on, Phil. That's just a bit far-fetched. Imagine a would-be burglar going to the trouble of first determining which make and model alarm system is in use at Joe Schmoe's house. Next he looks in USENET for a newsgroup related to alarms. The alleged thief supposedly already knows enough about Caddx panels to understand how to reprogram the central station monitoring. Now if he can just get someone to teach him how to crack that lock-out code...

Bear in mind we're talking about some place that is protected by a simple NX-6, not some multi-million dollar mansion full of furs and jewelry.

The best odds are the guy has a system which he owns but he doesn't have the code. That is an extremely common scenario, whereas the "high tech" thief searching USENET for help defeating an alarm is about the least likely possibility of all.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Yes. js

Reply to
alarman

The panel does not have the ability to be defaulted without entering programming first

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Hey

Just a thought, If you don't have keys for the cabinet, how do you know what type of board you have in there? You never mention if its locked, or open. I know that it probably says NX-6 right on it, and it may even say Caddx on your keypad, but as everyone here knows (especially when taking over accounts) what it says on the outside is not what's in the inside. Nothing is more fun than opening a DSC 1555 cabinet and finding a Paradox.

Reply to
Andrew Buchanan

The problem here is we don't know is why he hasn't been able to get hold of anyone at that company

Are they ignoring him? Are they even in business?

An additional problem is that panel can be locked out of keypad programming, communicator and/or downloader programming

Then again the panel may not even be locked out and he's just doing it wrong, when someone posts here about being locked out of a panel they can pretty much say anything or at least leave out several details, I tend to take the opposite opinion that you do RH on these things

Reply to
Mark Leuck

The tech can do the following

1. Lock you out by installer code
  2. Lock you out even if you have the installer code
  3. Allow you to enter programming but not be able to change communicator and/or downloading options
Reply to
Mark Leuck

That last part explains it all, "The best odds" means none of us know jack and we are only guessing

None of us knows who he is None of us knows if he even has a system None of us knows if he has indeed paid for the system None of us knows if he even tried contacting the previous company

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.