Please Help - Major Convergence problem with Panasonic 53X54

I would really appreciate any help with this matter. I have had a Panasonic PT-53X54J for almost two years now and have been very happy with it. It has given me no problems at all until now. A few days ago one of our dogs pee'd on the front grill of the TV. I cleaned up the front and then realised that you could take the front grill off. I pulled the TV out and (gently) rocked it back about six inches and put the front up on blocks so I could easily get to the screws to take the front panel off. When I got it off I could see that the front panel only really covers the speakers and no electronics would have gotten "wet". Anyway I cleaned up the panel, put it back on, (gently) put the TV back down and pushed it back into place. I turned the TV on and it was fine - we watched TV all night and had now problems.

The next day I turned the TV on and the geometry and convergence were WAY off - unwatchably off. Additionally, when you press the auto-convergence button, it says "Auto Convergence in process" and then goes black and when it comes back on after 30 seconds or so it looks the same (really bad). Also, regular convergence does not work. I have found that if I mess around with it enough (turning it off and on, changing the input around) that I can eventually get it to autoconverge and then fine converge and the TV works and looks fine. I have not determined the 100% foolproof method yet to get it to converge. If I turn it off overnight I have the same problem the next day. If I turn it off for 15 minutes it comes on just fine. I have not experimented with other lengths of time.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what my possible problem was. I can say with all honesty that I did not jostle or jar the tv in any way and I can't imagine rocking it back a little would cause a chip or a board to go (but it seems like an awful coincidence). Anyway, any help would be appreciated....

Dr. Nick

Reply to
DrNickRiviera
Loading thread data ...

Possibly just letting it warm up an hour or so would work?

If you bought it with one of certain credit cards, e.g. Am. Express, which doubles the manufacturer's warranty period, since you've had it less than 2 years, maybe you can get it serviced for free.

Maybe eventually the dog urine will dry up, and it will just start working again.

I have that model TV, too. Great set.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.