ws12a decorator dimmer problem

i have a couple dimmer switches that are a few years old now. and they seem to have lost local control.

i can operate them with x10 signals, but pushing the switch locally does nothing. i have even wiggled around with that tiny local lockout slider to no success.

has anyone else seen this? a known failure mode? repairable with the trusty soldering iron?

thanks, -ken

Reply to
ken d.
Loading thread data ...

as in i have to buy it an have it shipped to me first with a $10 surcharge for being in canada?

pullling hardware out of walls and doing swaps is fine, and i will probably end up doing that. but if it's a known failture mode, it makes sense to enquire first before doing a bunch of unecessary stuff.

especially since it's still dark up here by the time i get home from work. no fun having the electricity turned off and trying to work in the dark destroying your dental work holding a flashlight in your teeth.

by the way, one of them really is a 2-switch circuit, and the SLAVE switch still works on local control.

-ken

Reply to
ken d.

What happened when you tried a NEW WS12a in place of a non-working switch?

Reply to
Jack Ak

gotta luv modern technology :)

-k

Reply to
ken d.

You need this:

formatting link

-John O

Reply to
John O

I have had a few go this way. Inside the switch, under the push button is a contact area. A number of metal spring fingers are attached to the push button and make contact to printed circuit board pads when you push. Eventually, these spring fingers break off due to metal fatigue. You will find that it gets somewhat unreliable or works sometimes just before total failure. If you have a fixture somewhere that requires an imbedded dimmer, that is about all you can do with it now.

Just another reason X-10 went into bankrupcy protection. They promise the world and deliver semi-functional, poor quality stuff. Buy Leviton, Smarthome, or anything else if you want to save yourself the aggrivation. Or replace the switches every so often since they are cheap enough.

Good luck.

RF Dude.

Reply to
RF Dude

thanks!

-ken

Reply to
ken d.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.