Wiring a light to a phone

I am trying to create a phone tha will light instead of ring. I have an old rotary phone and have disconnected the ringer. I have a mini 12v lamp with leads and am trying to wire that to a phone line. I have a splitter from the wall jack so that one line will go to the phone and the other to the light. Is it possible to wire the light to the phone line so it lights up when the phone rings? If so what is the best way?

Reply to
bonzo_drumer
Loading thread data ...

Look for various tools that assist the hearing impaired. They already make devices that'll hookup safely to telephone lines. Lights, vibration pads, strobes, etc.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

You'd blow the 12v lamp first time the phone rings, which it won't since the bulb will have shorted the line. A better way would be to use a 100 volt neon bulb. Even better would be a plug-in strobe sold at your local Radio Shack.

Reply to
BruceR

I have a unit that connectes to the phone line and flashes a lamp in concert with the ringing.

I will send it for the cost of shipping. Not doing me any good collecting dust.

It is about the size of a cigarette box with an outlet on the bottom and a phone line to connect to the wall.

Nothing fancy but it works.

Don

formatting link

Home of JEANNIE The House That Listens As appeared on HGTV and in Home Automation, Kentucky Living magazines

Have some fun and come visit and turn my lights on and off.

Over 10,000 visitors since January 2005 Over 25,000 since May 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "BruceR" Newsgroups: comp.home.automation Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 1:49 AM Subject: Re: Wiring a light to a phone

Reply to
Don

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.