Re: Goodbye to copper? [Telecom]

|You are absolutley correct with regards to regulation of services, not |facilities/technologies. How a circuit is designed and how it is carried to |the subscriber is not a tariff item, unless the customer is an IEC or CLEC.

Aren't tariffs (in at least some areas) fairly explicit about the interface at the demark point, though? Does POTS as typically tariffed allow the telco to require the customer to supply power for their equipment?

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani
Loading thread data ...

Since the advent of common battery nearly 100 years ago the phoneco has provided the power for basic telephone needs. This is intentional so as to keep telephone service reliable even if commercial power fails.

Advanced equipment, such as key systems, modems, PBXs, etc., will require customer power.

Reply to
hancock4

Also, wouldn't a copper drop be outside of the demarc anyway? What business is it of the customers if they clip it? If it's ever needed again, it will be the telco's job to put in a new one. There is no good reason that they should be forced to maintain redundant cable runs.

I don't see this being any different than a cable company removing the run to your house if you drop their service. Who cares? I'd rather that they do that, because it's going to need to be replaced if needed again after years of non-use anyway. *

Reply to
PV

As to key systems, true once they got fancy. But, the good old

25-pair 1A2 systems only lost lights and hold when the customer power was lost. You could punch a line button and still get dial tone.
Reply to
Sam Spade

I was in an office that had a power failure. We could call out (admittedly an important feature), but that was it.

Ringing of incoming calls could be messed up. Many key systems intercepted the incoming ringing signal and relayed its own ringing signal only to specified sets. Many keysets had an appearance of a particular line for convenience but did not ring for that line. I'm pretty sure ringing was independent of whether the line button was depressed or even if the phone was off-hook.

Power supplies for key systems included DC and ringing AC.

Reply to
hancock4

Indeed. I have a 551C hooked to a 2851 and a flakey 2565HKM (Won't hold lines and doesn't present A-Lead activity so it appears to the line card that there's nothing there!)

But if I disconnect power you can still dial out.

Reply to
T

The local power problem is easily solved with power failure relays. When the relay drops out, the Local Ringer multiple is broken and Line

1 rings Station 1, line 2 rings station 2, etc. Just make sure the ringer capacitor is still connected in series at the network.

Admittedly it can't be done with hundreds of incoming lines, but you can pick selected lines and desk sets. Keeps you in business to a degree.

Oh, and that's also why there is a Red wall set over by the back door, with the sign "For Emergency Use Only." In the CO it was an FX line from another switchroom in case something went seriously wrong and hosed the switch, at a business you would select a normally outgoing-only POTS line.

Or in our house, there is a Trimline desk set next to the answering machine for Line 1 that rings on CO ring voltage, and a 2500 set for Line 2, and my Cordless Phone & Answering Machine combo for Line 3. (All with a loop detector so the A-leads are actuated, no accidental Hold applications.)

The FAX line, who cares? There's no power, let it ring out.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L.Bergman

I agree with you. Yank out unused drops. Insullation exposed to the elements has limited life. Install new for new subscriber.

Where I live, years ago, the phone company did a seriously messed up installation of the drop serving my apartment. Instead of following the path of electric lines and entering the basement through that wall, it enters under a porch and through a tube that does a very nice job of channeling rainwater into the building. I'm not a subscriber, so I wish they'd remove it. One of the two pairs in that drop is still live! Strangely, there's unused vertical conduit on the outside of the building near the drop for electricity, so I would imagine that it was installed for telephone many years ago.

Cable technicians are notorious for bad work. My building has two units. The cable drop serving the other unit went bad. Then the service to my unit went bad. A technician on my service call discovered that service to the other unit was now being split off the drop to my unit. The technician on the service call to the other unit hadn't replaced the bad drop! She wasn't trained in replacing drops and so she ordered work to be performed by another installer. That guy installed a new drop to my unit but refused to remove the bad drop.

A few weeks ago, a new couple moved into the other unit and subscribed to cable. They changed some of the cable runs on the outside of the building. Rather than clipping them directly to the masonery, they tied them to the bad drop. A few days later, the clips holding the bad drop to the brickwork came off the wall and it's all hanging loose.

Reply to
Adam H. Kerman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.