RR501 receives the rf signal, but won't send to other units

Hi,

Ihave a RR501 wieless transceiver and the palmpad combo. I plug the RR501 in, set to my house code 'I', unit 1 *or* set to unit 9 and set the palmpad to house code 'I', and when I press the appropriate on or off button for unit 1 or 9, I hear a click from the RR501, but none of the other X-10 units get their signal (i.e. if I want unit 1 on, I get nothing).

What am I missing?

Reply to
neergqj
Loading thread data ...

Dave,

I am not sure I understand. My plug in X-10 controller works fine. Is there a possibility that the RF receiver is not working properly? I had one fail a couple of years ago and this is the replacement.

Reply to
neergqj

The relay is triggered by the RF signal but the RR501 must send via the powerline (PLC) to other units. It may be that you have PLC signal strength issues which can be caused by several things. See...

formatting link
formatting link
Hi,

Reply to
Dave Houston

That's what I did. After I concluded that the RR501 was receiving the RF signal (as evidenced by the click when unit code 9 was sent), but that the X-10 signal wasn't going anywhere (as evidenced by units

1,2,3,4 or 9 not responding) I unplugged the %%501 and plugged in the table top transmitter to the same outlet. Viola! X-10 response.

Any further thoughts?

Reply to
neergqj

It's unlikely that the RF receiver isn't working since it must be working for the relay to respond.

The most likely causes are that the RR501 is plugged into a different phase than the plug in X-10 controller and your modules or that there is an appliance in the (electrical) vicinity of the RR501 that is eating X-10 PLC signals.

Move the RR501 to the same outlet as the plug >Dave,

Reply to
Dave Houston

Ahhh! Why didn't you say so in the first place? ;)

If the table top controller works in the same outlet, you've ruled out a signal sucking appliance.

It appears that your RR501 has indeed gone bad. The RF receiver section is probably OK since you can control the relay with it but the PLC transmitter section (which sends to the powerline) is kaput.

Just out of curiosity, try c>That's what I did. After I concluded that the RR501 was receiving the

Reply to
Dave Houston

I'm almost certain of whats happening, going by the symptoms and my very similiar experience; there is a small transformer near the 120V outlet that generates the outgoing 120 kHz, and also couples it to the mains.

You could confirm this by checking your unit against the schematic available at

formatting link
Regards,

Anand Dhuru

My bet is the w> Ahhh! Why didn't you say so in the first place? ;)

Reply to
Anand

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.