Record temperature to computer via serial port

Hi Everyone,

With electric costs going so high, I want to start monitoring the temperature in my home via the computer and see the best way to program my A/C to come on and off during the day and at night. I figure the best way is to rig-up a temperature gauge to the computer via serial port and write a small Linux script to take the temp and drop it into a file with a time stamp.

Can someone suggest such a device which would give me this information? I assume they are floating out there, but searching Google mainly returned outdated pages for such devices (some going back to 1999) or just plans on how to build one. Though I don't mind building such a device, I've never built something like this from the component level before.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas on this ...

Alex

Reply to
Alex
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Dave Houston

Alex,

If you can do some simple soldering, take a look at the Temperature Data Logger Kit at

formatting link
comes with one sensor, but can handle up to four. It outputs the temperature in Fahrenheit or Celsius in a simple format that's easily logged on a PC. It's cheap too, only $21.80 + S/H.

A similar device which also keeps track of high and low temperatures for each sensor can be found at

formatting link
(kit at $29.95) or
formatting link
(assembled/tested at $39.95).

Regards, Eric

Reply to
eschuylerTAKE

You may want to look into this:

formatting link

Reply to
Dave

If you're interested in an X10 approach, take a look at Smarthome's TempLinc 1625 . It'll transmit the temperature data over the AC house wiring vi X10 signals so you can plug in one or more (up to 16) at various places in the house without extra wiring.

If you also have an X-10 CM11A computer interface (~$30), the TempLinc is fully supported by the (free) HEYU software for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X . Timestamped temperature data can be automatically written to the HEYU log file.

(With the CM11A and HEYU, you can do a lot of other great home automation stuff too.)

Regards, Charles Sullivan

Reply to
Charles Sullivan

Hi!

Dave, have you thought on the possibility of daisy chaining the temperature sensors with a rs485 pc card? If that exists :)

Reply to
Konnexman

Google - rs485 temperature sensor

Reply to
Konnexman

Check into the Dallas one-wire devices. You can get a 1-wire to serial (or USB) adapter for about $20, and each device (sensor) is in the range of $1-$2. The wiring I use is cat3 or cat5, and multiple sensors can be hooked to the same run (based on length, I wouldn't suggest more that 15-20). Dallas provides demo code and drivers for windows and Linux, and the ones I've used were written in C. The app I wrote started as 1-wire only, but I've since added support for x1-10 with a cm15a (version linux only).

The temp sensors I use are in to92 packages (look like a transistor), and have a few located around the house. You can find more info by googling DS18S20 and probably find a bunch of sites with info (or DS18B20)

Check out homeauto dot usandthem dot com, in the section for the cm15a for a bit more info, and a link to an email where you can reach me.

Reply to
AZ Woody

Charles,

That is a great way of doing this temperature monitoring, but you have to take into account that to have a reliable temperature mettering, you must place your sensors at 150cm from the floor.

Cheers!

Reply to
Konnexman

The TempLinc sensor is connected to the transmitting unit with a 6 foot cable (or optional 12 foot cable) so appropriate sensor placement is normally not a problem.

Reply to
Charles Sullivan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.