Who's using National Instruments Hardware/Labview / Measurement Studio for Home Automation?

I'm about to (re-)enter the world of National Instruments (NI) hardware and
software with the objective of modernizing and webbing my dated, hand-coded,
FORTRAN and MS/Q/VBasic data acquisition (DAC) and control code.
Know of folks using Labview, or NI VI's, or Measurement Studio, or NI
hardware with VBx or VB.net for home automation ?
I see dealers recycling old ISA-bus NI DAC hardware in the name of HA
formatting link
am looking for modern applications and approaches.
TIA ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult
Loading thread data ...
Phew, those prices are still so high! I have a Sun S-bus NI GPIB board desperately seeking a driver; is there any chance you have any sparc Solaris NI stuff?
Regards,
Michael
Reply to
msg
On 1 Aug 2006 08:44:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@waste.org wrote in message :
You don't say which Sun OS version or which National Instruments HPIB board, but you can download NI drivers for eight different NI HPIB boards for SPARCstations running Solaris 1 and Solaris 2 here:
formatting link
But, frankly, with USB Data Acquisition modules with 32,000 samples/second, 12-bit analog-to-digital converters, dual 12-bit analog out, dual 330khz 10-bit PWM, 16 bidirectional digital I/O, and 16-bit counter for NI (Labview, Measurement Studio) costing $79 ($49 if you want 100 ;-), running a power-hungry box for HA isn't so attractive (regardless of the merits of the OS).
formatting link
The iUSBDAQ-U12086 low-power, credit-card-sized USB Data Acquisition (DAC) module has 16X better resolution than the ELK/Ocelot/etc HA controllers which makes them much better suited --- at
Reply to
Marc_F_Hult
Thanks for your reply. I checked the URL just in case things have changed, but alas (quoting):
"SB-GPIB/TNT (SBus) X 2.3 (my board)
Note:NI-488.2 drivers for Solaris 2.x are not free downloads; the NI-488.2 driver for Solaris is available for purchase or upgrade only."
I was just hoping that perhaps you had this one for Solaris 2 and perhaps could discuss its acquisition.
This is not for HA, but for some GPIB instruments we now run on HP 300 RMB.
Regards,
Michael
Reply to
msg
On 9 Aug 2006 07:05:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@waste.org wrote in message :
Now we have the specific OS and specific board and maybe someone else will find your request. (I used to use HPIB and IEEE-488 on HP machines but that was in the 1980's with HP and Ziatech ISA bus controllers so I am of no help. I eliminated everything IEEE-488 in the last move 8 years ago. Sometimes which I hadn't ...)
...Marc Marc_F_Hult
formatting link
Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.