Who's using National Instruments Hardware/Labview / Measurement Studio for Home Automation?

I'm about to (re-)enter the world of National Instruments (NI) hardware and software with the objective of modernizing and webbing my dated, hand-coded, FORTRAN and MS/Q/VBasic data acquisition (DAC) and control code.

Know of folks using Labview, or NI VI's, or Measurement Studio, or NI hardware with VBx or VB.net for home automation ?

I see dealers recycling old ISA-bus NI DAC hardware in the name of HA

formatting link
am looking for modern applications and approaches.

TIA ... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult
Loading thread data ...

Phew, those prices are still so high! I have a Sun S-bus NI GPIB board desperately seeking a driver; is there any chance you have any sparc Solaris NI stuff?

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg

You don't say which Sun OS version or which National Instruments HPIB board, but you can download NI drivers for eight different NI HPIB boards for SPARCstations running Solaris 1 and Solaris 2 here:

formatting link
But, frankly, with USB Data Acquisition modules with 32,000 samples/second, 12-bit analog-to-digital converters, dual 12-bit analog out, dual 330khz 10-bit PWM, 16 bidirectional digital I/O, and 16-bit counter for NI (Labview, Measurement Studio) costing $79 ($49 if you want

100 ;-), running a power-hungry box for HA isn't so attractive (regardless of the merits of the OS).

formatting link
The iUSBDAQ-U12086 low-power, credit-card-sized USB Data Acquisition (DAC) module has 16X better resolution than the ELK/Ocelot/etc HA controllers which makes them much better suited --- at

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Thanks for your reply. I checked the URL just in case things have changed, but alas (quoting):

"SB-GPIB/TNT (SBus) X 2.3 (my board)

Note:NI-488.2 drivers for Solaris 2.x are not free downloads; the NI-488.2 driver for Solaris is available for purchase or upgrade only."

I was just hoping that perhaps you had this one for Solaris 2 and perhaps could discuss its acquisition.

This is not for HA, but for some GPIB instruments we now run on HP 300 RMB.

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg

Now we have the specific OS and specific board and maybe someone else will find your request. (I used to use HPIB and IEEE-488 on HP machines but that was in the 1980's with HP and Ziatech ISA bus controllers so I am of no help. I eliminated everything IEEE-488 in the last move 8 years ago. Sometimes which I hadn't ...)

...Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.